Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Changing TT tire

We bought a used “starter” trailer (18’ Sunrise by Cobra) for our family for really cheap. I know the tires need to be replaced. I’m handy and have removed numerous car tires before, but where do you place the jack on a camper to remove the wheels? I can’t find any owners manual for the camper.

Also, the camper didn’t come with any jacks. What does everyone carry for a road-side emergency (besides the phone number for road-side assistance)?
p8md is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8md View Post
We bought a used “starter” trailer (18’ Sunrise by Cobra) for our family for really cheap. I know the tires need to be replaced. I’m handy and have removed numerous car tires before, but where do you place the jack on a camper to remove the wheels?
p8md, You are going to need a bottle jack of some 5 tons in capacity. Not because the trailer weighs 5 tons but becuase it a bit bigger and more stable on the ground.

The jack should go directly under the axle in the vicinity of the spring U bolts that attaches to the leaf spring saddle.

Quote:
Also, the camper didn’t come with any jacks. What does everyone carry for a road-side emergency ...
I have a set of triangle warning reflectors, a number of flashlights and tools adequate enough to change a tire, 4 way lug wrenches are good and a pry bar. A CB Radio may help you but a cell phone is better!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The other option is to go to your local RV store and buy one of those lifty trailer jacks that serves 2 purposes. The neat thing is that yo only have to drive one of the tandem wheels on the same side of the trailer up on it. That will lift the flat tire off the ground. Now if yo only have a single axle then you will need that bottle jack and some wood or go for one of those fancy axle jacks from your RV store.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #4

Bottle Jack

Make sure the bottle jack will fit under the axle or spring pad when the tire is FLAT. Don't ask me how I know.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Never jack the trailer directly on the axle. Be sure you place the jack under the spring pad, which is designed to handle the weight transferred to the axle.

In addition to the bottle jack, I carry one of the ramps mentioned earlier as well. It's much quicker and safer to use on the side of the Interstate.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #6

Have found that on some trailers running the other tandem tire up on a ramp doesn't always allow enough lift to change flat tire. Depends on the suspension. As for ramp/wheel chock/leveling block/etc, I use a 4 X 4 X 12 inch block of wood with ends cut to 45 degree. Works well for many uses/cheap to make if you have a senior moment and leave it for the next camp site occupant
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote