Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I happen to be equipped to test this out and did just that yesterday. I have a trimetric and a video camera, that is all that was needed.

Battery resting voltage: 12.5v which has a little use on it.
Trailer hooked up at idle: 12.9v
Hauling the trailer at 65mph: 13.4v

So, there ya have it, as I predicted you will get a trickle charge while driving which is great for keeping an already charged battery topped off. If you rely on this solely you will greatly reduce your battery life. Charging fully before leaving or after arriving with a charger/generator would be the right thing to do for good battery life.
Darren

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I happen to be equipped to test this out and did just that yesterday. I have a trimetric and a video camera, that is all that was needed.

So, there ya have it, as I predicted you will get a trickle charge while driving which is great for keeping an already charged battery topped off. If you rely on this solely you will greatly reduce your battery life. Charging fully before leaving or after arriving with a charger/generator would be the right thing to do for good battery life.
Darren
Does your trimetric show instantaneous amperage, positive while charging? Did you record this at 65 mph? Curious.....

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Does your trimetric show instantaneous amperage, positive while charging? Did you record this at 65 mph? Curious.....

Brian
Yes, it does and it is measuring what the battery is seeing. I did however forget to check amps, I only checked voltage. At 13.4v and < 15 amps you don't have much in the way of charging. Maintaining a charge would be good.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks that are calling their batteries "fully charged" need to see 12.6 - 12.8v resting (few hours of no use) to be fully charged. Anything less than 12.6v resting is not fully charged and will reduce battery life. If you are checking voltage right after charging you are seeing residual charge voltage, that isn't what your battery is really at. You can also check charge state with a cheap hydrometer if you don't have a good means for testing voltage. Using the panel they supply in travel trailers is a very poor way to understand the true charge state of your battery. I know this works for many folks and if you don't care then keep on doing it. It isn't harming anyone. I'm just pointing out what I've learned over the last 3 years via experience and reading a lot on the subject. Good battery maintenance and charging procedures will give you many years of service. It can save you several hundred bucks every 2-3 years... that's why I invested in the trimetric and charger. It isn't for everyone though.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #33

Quote:

Darren
Redo the rest with a battery voltage of 12.1 to 12.3 then report readings.

12.5 is 90% state of charge. The alternator is not going to see that small a defecit.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, it does and it is measuring what the battery is seeing. I did however forget to check amps, I only checked voltage. At 13.4v and < 15 amps you don't have much in the way of charging. Maintaining a charge would be good.
Agreed, but curious to know your measured results for current. I could not get more than 15-20 Ah into my batteries over 3 hours with 7-pin charge wire (5-7 A DC instantaneous). See my previous post #26. I did not have a video camera at the time to view instantaneous current in the trailer while I was travelling down the highway.

My conclusion at the time was the small gauge OEM charge wire (14 AWG?) limited voltage at trailer batteries. The tow vehicle alternator is voltage controlled (14.4v?) and voltage loss limited max voltage seen at the trailer batteries. I know others who have run dedicated 10 or 8 gauge wire from alternator output to new charge connector at back of truck, especially those who run a 12V lift/dump trailer.

Thanks for posting the voltage results.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Redo the rest with a battery voltage of 12.1 to 12.3 then report readings.

12.5 is 90% state of charge. The alternator is not going to see that small a defecit.
Actually, at that state the alternator would be pushing the most voltage. As the battery charges, the voltage supplied goes up. For instance: When I'm charging with my Iota, it starts out under 14v, then when near complete I see ~15v. I can certainly try to remember to record it for real world testing but I doubt there will be anything much higher than the 13.4v. Even if it did approach 14v, with a max of maybe 15 amps you aren't going to charge very fast and still haven't reached bulk charge voltage.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Agreed, but curious to know your measured results for current. I could not get more than 15-20 Ah into my batteries over 3 hours with 7-pin charge wire (5-7 A DC instantaneous). See my previous post #26. I did not have a video camera at the time to view instantaneous current in the trailer while I was travelling down the highway.

My conclusion at the time was the small gauge OEM charge wire (14 AWG?) limited voltage at trailer batteries. The tow vehicle alternator is voltage controlled (14.4v?) and voltage loss limited max voltage seen at the trailer batteries. I know others who have run dedicated 10 or 8 gauge wire from alternator output to new charge connector at back of truck, especially those who run a 12V lift/dump trailer.

Thanks for posting the voltage results.

Brian
I'll do my best to test it out for you when I get to the trailer next.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for your testing and reporting dagmandt. This is interesting.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Thanks for your testing and reporting dagmandt. This is interesting.
No problem. I like to see the math work out in real world testing so it is kind of fun/educational.

Tags
batteries, charging