Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Check that hitch

Last week my wife and I were returning home to Ohio from North Carolina. As we were traveling down the road I heard what I thought was a stone or something on the road bounce up and hit my trailer. I headed on up the road not thinking there was anything wrong. We traveled between a 100 and 200 miles to a Koa to spend the night. When I went to unhook the trailer I found that the lock that is on the pin that holds the hitch into the receiver had broken and flew off. The only thing that was holding the hitch was just the pin itself and it stayed in. The Good Lord was watching out for me this time. Next time I hear something bounce up and hit my trailer I will be pulling over at the next exit and check my hitch. Just thought I would share this as a warning to check your hitch!
rtbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

Wow, you dodged the bullet big time on that one! I haven't had that happen, but a friend of mine did a walk around his coach before heading in to eat lunch at a restaurant, came back out, did another walk around from habit and one of the pins holding the arms to his toad was missing, both the pin and keeper. He swears it was there when he went into the restaurant as it is one of the items he specifically checks . . . If it was there, than the only way it could have "left" while he was eating was with help. There are some really sick people out there! ALWAYS DO A WALK AROUND! And after hearing your story, if it sounds suspicious, stop and take a look. It only takes a few minutes!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Was that a pin with the key type lock that sticks on the end? I have one and it appears to be rather flimsy, so I use the hairpin type most of the time.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

The pins that have a lock that flips shut to hold the pin in place are iffy. I was recently pulling our travel trailer hit the brakes and trailer bumped hard and hitch made a noise. We stopped to look at a park we were considering staying at in the future. When I hit the brakes it really made a noise told the wife something is wrong. Walked back and pin was half way out of the hitch. It now has a hitch pin with hairpin never again wil I use one of the other styles.
Txdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I had a lens cover and a bumper end plug stolen at an El Paso rest stop this year. I was just dozing off when I heard and felt something move the trailer slightly. They were gone by the time I got my pants on and got out there. Before I left I did a thorough walk-around, and found screws stood up under one of my truck tires. I checked everything again... even checking for sugar around my fuel tank. Someone was setting me up, possibly to rob me... and was probably watching when I found the screws, and maybe decided I would not be an easy mark. It's not just things falling off... there's some bad folks about, sometimes. Be careful out there!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdave View Post
The pins that have a lock that flips shut to hold the pin in place are iffy. I was recently pulling our travel trailer hit the brakes and trailer bumped hard and hitch made a noise. We stopped to look at a park we were considering staying at in the future. When I hit the brakes it really made a noise told the wife something is wrong. Walked back and pin was half way out of the hitch. It now has a hitch pin with hairpin never again wil I use one of the other styles.

Show a picture of what your talking about. I think I know but I am not certain.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Let's see some pictures about what you refer to. I guess I don't understand what you call a pin.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

http://www.amazon.com/Connor-Towing-...487692&sr=1-32

Above is a link to one of the pins I was talking about.

Txdave
Txdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting, mine is similar to that, maybe I will be making a change soon.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For all of my for trailer towing Stingers and my tow bar, I use a grade 8 bolt and nut the bolt is long enough to drill a hole and a pad lock through it. Pad lock on the tow bar pins also. A walk around at each stop.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I remember once seeing a shock mounted hitch that was bolted into position rather than just being pinned. It eliminated that annoying slop that is ever present in a pinned hitch.

I looked for one when towing our old popup but could never find it.