Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #15

I am just getting testy about the fuel situation.....Just took my trailer in for some warranty work before tucking it away for the winter, and as usual, I started with a full tank. Towed 13.5 miles of which 1.5 is a serious downhill grade (losing 500' elevation), dropped off trailer and topped off again since I won't be back for several days. I know what I get towing. I watch EVERY tank and log all the info....I put in 1.96 gallons. NO WAY I got 6.5 mpg for that trip! Someone's pump is OFF!!!! Should have taken only a little over a gallon!!!! I sure wish our city had more than one person working the weights and measures department! Freakin' thieves.....

ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
+12 or so on the gasbuddy app...
it's not always exact, but better than driving around to search when it's time to get 70 gallons or so...

After all, we drive a HOUSE and mpg is WAY down on the list of what's important to us - and our toad is a Jeep, which is not exactly a Prius, so...

Although I am aware of what we get, I only use it as a piece of info if it changes a lot to indicate something may be wrong...

BUT
One thing I did notice this month on my RV plus card bill that WILL be changing my buying patterns from Pilot/flying J!

While it's convenient to use them when on the road and towing, it is ALWAYS higher than normal prices and I'll spend the time to use gasbuddy from now on!

Quite different to pay 1.82 at home and get on the road and pay 30 to 60 cents more per gallon:
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #17

By some miracle, within minutes all the stations have the same price in town. Of course it's not price fixing. The inquiry said so. Across the border we are amazed at how different the prices can be.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

JohnBoyToo,
Ever since FJ went belly up and Pilot bought them, the prices are almost always higher than any nearby stations. I used to use them and felt good about the pricing--not any more. Even with the 6c discount on their card, it doesn't make sense.
I have room for 92 gallons, and when I can save 15c to 40c/gal by using GasBuddy, it sure helps the trip costs. The best differential I ever found with GB was 62c/gal and I took on 73 gallons--$45 helps offset the beer budget. But, have been burned a few times by someone turning in the unleaded price as diesel at a station that does not even sell diesel.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Had to pay a "lot" to fill up tonight after our run to Houston...

$1.99 per gallon at Murphy Express
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #20

Filled up today at Bucee's in New Braunfels--$1.919. Just across I-35 was an Exxon with $2.259.
Bucee's does not have pricing signs, you have to check at the pump---or on GasBuddy.
Joe
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #21

And, forgot to add--if you haven't had the Bucee's experience, you gotta pull in one and spend about an hour minimum to go thru all the stuff on display. Mostly Texas/Western themed items and appear to be a cut above the average tourist trap. Wide variety of hot/cold foods also available, but only for carryout--no sitdown eating area.
And if you have a large fiver/MH, LOTS of room to maneuver into a pump area.
Joe
Old 11-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We tried the Bucee's when they first opened and it was SO full, we barely got in the lot, so didn't even try to get to the pumps

But the wife did go in and said I should have.

Another neat place is in West, Texas... Slovak's sounds like it's similar to Bucee's with all kinds of Czech foods, etc... worth a stop if running down I-35
Old 12-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #23

I like to fill our MH when we get close to the campground. Jo Ann uses Gas Buddy to find likely stations, then her iPad to look at the satellite view to make sure that the one that sounds most interesting is actually one we might be able to get into. Often we will take that opportunity to unhook the Jeep from the MH. When/if we get a towable, the drill will change a bit. We'll go to the campground and set up first, then I will take the truck to the station for a fill-up. That way we won't have to worry about tall trailers and low overhangs meeting by accident.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
There are a lot of unknown accounting arrangements made by large corporations that may be a factor in what cards/stations get used. Many cards provide extra info that helps track abuse of the card--which happens a lot when too many people have access to a credit card. I have also encountered the 'use one brand/card' no matter that the employee can easily save money for the company--I worked for a major oilfield company that had lots of agreements with hotel chains--'use the company code' they said. Several times I found walk-ins could get a better rate than the corporate rate. Makes no sense to conscientious employees, but is a good way to control where the cards are used.
So true. I worked at a company that forced everyone to use AmEx because some dumbass in purchasing decided to run all major purchases through his personal card and racked up lots of points, all the while the company was paying higher prices for stuff.

But, in typical knee-jerk reaction style, the (Canadian, but headed by an American CEO that spends a few hours a year in Canada and replaced all CxO level staff with Americans that also spend a few hours a year in Canada) company didn't realize AmEx is almost useless in Canada and most other countries outside the US (Where, I've been told by some patriotic Americans it's even more useful to have than Visa/MC).

Oh, sure, all the most expensive places accept it. But outside of those, not a chance (that's because AmEx charges triple rates to retailers, I paid 5% of a purchase to AmEx and 1.6% to MC/Visa at my company). So now employees there have to dine at a $50 fancy restaurant when all they wanted was a $5 happy meal. I took at look at my last trip (Washington DC) and realized that the $200 of expenses I claimed for a week would have ballooned to over $1000 if I couldn't pay cash. Being considerate I took the subway instead of a limo, ate at a food court instead of fancy steakhouses, and did my own laundry instead of going to an expensive laundromat. You try sticking an AmEx in a washing machine! LOL...

Tags
campground, gas