Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #1

Check your gas stations near campgrounds

Just remembered this story and have to share....

Weekend before last my gal and I took our TT to the Seattle area and spent 3 days in a KOA campground. The closest station (Shell) was a mere 2 blocks away. Good place and handy for all the thirsty motorhomes and tow vehicles! YEAH. Luckily I had filled up about 25 miles earlier, and only wanted to top off to keep towing mileage separate from my non-towing mileage (I keep records, yeah, kind of anal that way....lol). I didn't look at the prices because I was only gonna need 2-3 gallons to top off my tank......STUPID ME, and MONEY GRUBBING B******S at the gas station! They were charging $.80/gallon more than the next two closest stations (less than 1/2 mile away)!!!!! They are set up to nail the RV crowd! Crying shame that some people have to take advantage of others......

Luckily I only got shafted for a couple bucks.

My advice: PLEASE look out for yourself and look at the stations as you near your campground and don't just look for the handiest location.....If I had needed 40 gallons, I would have been taken for an additional $32. Be alert!!!

Stan
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dont sweat the small stuff. I fill up when I get down to 1/2 tank, that way I can pick and choose which gas station I fill up at. I'm just glad gas prices are not 5 bucks a gallon.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada
Washington Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Washington
Old 11-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

1bigmess nailed it--check around before even getting in the unit. Easy to do on a smartphone or tablet.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Gas buddy app is your friend
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

I have an app right in my nav system, but failed to check it just because I had a couple passengers in the car who thought I was nuts for filling up since I was just a little off the full mark -- I just took the closest station. Still annoyed me and probably would most anyone. I just wrote this to remind those who don't have those apps, those who don't use them, and those who don't think about it and just hit the handiest location.

Just a friendly heads up!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

I always fill up at Arco or other regional/independent stations as they are usually about $.35-.65 cheaper than the Chevrons/shells/etc of the world.

The interesting thing is that I work for the worlds largest equipment rental company. All sales and management drive company trucks and are all Hemis or Ford 5.0 engines. Probably 3000 pickup trucks total driven by employees that have company paid fleet cards. These cards, at least in Socal (probably 100 company truck) can only be used at the larger fuel stations I mentioned above. I cover a small area and live close to my territory and I fill up my Ram 1500 at least twice a week. I have asked our corp fleet management company to see if we could get cards that allow us to use the cheaper fuel stations and .......... Crickets. You do the math. Millions of dollars a year wasted.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

There are a lot of unknown accounting arrangements made by large corporations that may be a factor in what cards/stations get used. Many cards provide extra info that helps track abuse of the card--which happens a lot when too many people have access to a credit card. I have also encountered the 'use one brand/card' no matter that the employee can easily save money for the company--I worked for a major oilfield company that had lots of agreements with hotel chains--'use the company code' they said. Several times I found walk-ins could get a better rate than the corporate rate. Makes no sense to conscientious employees, but is a good way to control where the cards are used.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe the station's gas was non ethanol? We have a couple of stations here that sells non ethanol gas and it is more expensive. I think Shell has non ethanol gas.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Jon, I wish! But it was plain ol' 87 octane regular! They are just greedy.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmtnbkr2 View Post
Just remembered this story and have to share....

Weekend before last my gal and I took our TT to the Seattle area and spent 3 days in a KOA campground. The closest station (Shell) was a mere 2 blocks away. Good place and handy for all the thirsty motorhomes and tow vehicles! YEAH. Luckily I had filled up about 25 miles earlier, and only wanted to top off to keep towing mileage separate from my non-towing mileage (I keep records, yeah, kind of anal that way....lol). I didn't look at the prices because I was only gonna need 2-3 gallons to top off my tank......STUPID ME, and MONEY GRUBBING B******S at the gas station! They were charging $.80/gallon more than the next two closest stations (less than 1/2 mile away)!!!!! They are set up to nail the RV crowd! Crying shame that some people have to take advantage of others......

Luckily I only got shafted for a couple bucks.

My advice: PLEASE look out for yourself and look at the stations as you near your campground and don't just look for the handiest location.....If I had needed 40 gallons, I would have been taken for an additional $32. Be alert!!!

Stan
Do you own a cell phone? Gas buddy app.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #12

IdahoSRT10, as mentioned earlier, I have a fuel finder program in my tow vehicle nav system. I just didn't use it! Just wanted a quick top off. This thread was just to warn people about "handy" stations that may prey on those not aware.....I won't get suckered again!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

It is always good to remember there are ways to find lower fuel prices, but it is also a wonder to me when you see fuel stations across from each other, sometimes 20c difference, and both are busy...cannot feature that I would not cross the street to save 20c/gal on 30+gallons.
Joe
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Every time I have stopped for gas. The gal price is on the pump to see before using it.
I have seen the price not match the station big sign price.
That is when I leave without buying there.

Sometimes Gas Buddy is not up to date on prices either. Or maybe someone working there post a lower price on Gas buddy.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, gas