Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Check your springs / suspension

New (January 2014) Keystone Laredo 315 RE. 7500 dry, 9500 max, 1000 tongue.

About 1000 miles on it since "new".

Annual wheel bearing repack.

Curb side front leaf spring flat, other 3 spring packs various stages of cracked and broken.

Replacing all 4 with 5 leaf (had 4 leaf), replacing bolts with wet, all new hanger U Bolts, shackle bolts etc, both axles (4.4k) replaced with 6k Dexter.

Only good thing about the repack were the bearings were actually packed with grease as they should have been.

About $4k for new heavier springs, hardware, and axles.

From what I am reading this is more common than we would like to think that the suspension system is carrying maximum design weight right from the start.
Bob Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's a sad fact that many RV manufacturers use the lightest, cheapest suspension components feasible. It saves them money and is out of sight.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
It's a sad fact that many RV manufacturers use the lightest, cheapest suspension components feasible. It saves them money and is out of sight.
I totally agree Jim... suspension along with cheap tires just to get you off the lot.... We learn SO much from a great site like this, from others experiences, etc... It's a darn shame to have to spend extra thousands on a new rv,,, but it doesn't supprise me....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

I agree! I don't understand why they don't offer upgrades. Better tires, etc. I would gladly pay for a tire/wheel upgrade from the factory just like I did with my pickup. I just doesn't make sense to me. In the long run, it costs us all more money. I just changed out the D rated China made tires that came on my new Jayco Eagle to E rated Maxxis tires. Piece of mind is worth a lot and I certainly don't want to deal with blown out tires on my vacation.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension