RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #15

We use both X chocks and regular ones. The instructions say you shouldn't use the X chocks as the only ones, they are more for stabilization of your unit than actually chocking the wheels as the only chocks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
We use both X chocks and regular ones. The instructions say you shouldn't use the X chocks as the only ones, they are more for stabilization of your unit than actually chocking the wheels as the only chocks.
I also read somewhere that you should raise and lower your trailer with the X chocks in place. Until I got the Beach Lane Levelers I used the yellow wedge chocks to secure the trailer. Once set then I set the X chocks in between the tires.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #17

Fastway One Step chocks. They are more secure than X Chocks. I have both and I use the X Chock on the side I need to raise with leveling blocks.
Put on X Chocks on both sides and drove forward. Hardly any resistance, but it will damage your X Chocks. Donít ask me how I know this. Now put the One Step Chocks on both sides and try again. Much more difficult and much more resistant to movement. There is a reason you donít see X Chocks on big rigs.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #18

X-Chocks and rubber tire chocks for years. Never an incident or hint of one. Also don't make a habit of driving off with them in place "just to check them". Use as intended and they work, at least for me.
3:73, Husky CenterLine
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
And the instructions are correct. I had a pair that just folded. They are definitely not "chocks".
Did they just fold when you tried to drive off without removing them first? Or did they just fold while the trailer was just sitting there? These are serious questions. I have never had a bit of trouble with my X-chocks. I do have to snug them up a bit after the tires cool down.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Did they just fold when you tried to drive off without removing them first? Or did they just fold while the trailer was just sitting there? These are serious questions. I have never had a bit of trouble with my X-chocks. I do have to snug them up a bit after the tires cool down.
^^^^ you would have to be on one hell of an incline for the x chocks to maybe fail. I think the tires would skid before the x chock failed. and wheel chocks are scary on a lose gravel parking area like most campgrounds have.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
^^^^ you would have to be on one hell of an incline for the x chocks to maybe fail. I think the tires would skid before the x chock failed. and wheel chocks are scary on a lose gravel parking area like most campgrounds have.
Jay D.
I 100% agree with you. For 4 years I used these home made wooden chocks. About a year ago I moved up to the X-chocks and love em. I would never camp where there was a chance of my trailer sliding down the hill. Being very familiar with the strength of the X-chocks I can't imagine folding them up while the trailer was just sitting there. That is why I asked the question. I don't think I will get an answer.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #22

Decision

Well, after reading all of your very informative responses (thank you all, by the way) I have decided to be OCD about it and do all of the above.

Beech Lane Levelers
Regular Chocks front and back (both sides if not needed levelers)
X-Chocks on both sides for extra hold but mostly stability.

If needed, I will sacrifice a live chicken at each camp site. BBQ later!

Seriously, thanks to all.

Brenwol1
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
Well, after reading all of your very informative responses (thank you all, by the way) I have decided to be OCD about it and do all of the above.

Beech Lane Levelers
Regular Chocks front and back (both sides if not needed levelers)
X-Chocks on both sides for extra hold but mostly stability.

If needed, I will sacrifice a live chicken at each camp site. BBQ later!

Seriously, thanks to all.

Brenwol1
I like your belt and suspenders approach.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
I 100% agree with you. For 4 years I used these home made wooden chocks. About a year ago I moved up to the X-chocks and love em. I would never camp where there was a chance of my trailer sliding down the hill. Being very familiar with the strength of the X-chocks I can't imagine folding them up while the trailer was just sitting there. That is why I asked the question. I don't think I will get an answer.
I'm interested in your red wheel chocks. do they have a name so I can maybe get some and how do you set them, does the rear part just rock over the forward part as the tire comes ahead?
thanks Jay D.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #25

Quote:
I'm interested in your red wheel chocks. do they have a name so I can maybe get some and how do you set them, does the rear part just rock over the forward part as the tire comes ahead?
thanks Jay D.
They are called Andersen Levelers. They really work well. Of course you only need one pair. Due to the wheel spacing you may need to cut the tip end off 2" for the one you start between the wheels. You can get them at Amazon and there is a video. I added the pull cords to make them easy to pull out when getting off of the levelers.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #26

Quote:
thanks Jay D.
I use Beech Lane levelers. Same type of thing but they seemed a bit sturdier than the Anderson's. Either would work well.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
They are called Andersen Levelers. They really work well. Of course you only need one pair. Due to the wheel spacing you may need to cut the tip end off 2" for the one you start between the wheels. You can get them at Amazon and there is a video. I added the pull cords to make them easy to pull out when getting off of the levelers.
THANKS BigBird
Jay D.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #28

Quote:
THANKS BigBird
Jay D.
You are welcome.
Ken