RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Choppy Ride

Hello All: Just finished #2 trip with 2018 Ford F150 with 3.5 twin turbo engine, 6ft bed four door 10 speed transmission, while traveling the truck has a choppy ride, all stock, any suggestions for help with new shocks, trailer is a 2015 Jayco Gray Hawk 24 rks. Trailer weighs about 5500 pounds. Looking for suggestions to smooth the ride. Thanks Safe travels

retfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Need lots more info,,,,, but welcome to the IRV2.

Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

Do you use a weight distribution hitch?
Anti-swap? Is it adjusted correctly?
Sometimes if you travel with full tanks, it can mess up the ride.
WA7MLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

"Choppy ride" is some what vague. I have heard it called "porpoiseing". Does it seem like the rear end is bouncing off the rubber suspension bumpers? Is it much worse on some roads like cement and better on smooth asphalt?

If so, it probably needs more lift from the weight distribution hitch, or maybe you are not using a weight distribution hitch.

Find a flat length of driveway or parking lot. Measure the truck distance to the ground at front and rear wheel wells. Hook up the TT. If the rear drops a lot and the front raises a little, you need more lift from the weight distribution hitch.

Maybe another reader has the numbers to target for you. I run mine with about 1 to 3 inch drop in the rear. 1 inch is my goal. It often deteriorates to 3 inches as the miles accumulate.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

RE the choppy ride, using weight distrubition system and it is level when hooked up, just wondering if there are any others who tow with a newer ford f-150. try different shocks or air bags or is this the nature of the f-150s with a short bed, 4 door. engine is a 3.5 twin turbo with 3:55 rear,10 speed transmission, towing a Jayco 24 RKS Trailer weight is 5500 pounds. Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #6

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "choppy" ride? I have a 2017 F250, and it rides pretty rough in that you can feel every bump in the road due to it's stiff suspension, but it actually rides a bit smoother when towing due to the added weight.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

I used a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre engine and just a Drawtite WD hitch and I would describe towing my 5,500 lb. travel trailer as smooth. The WD really tied the truck and trailer together.

Just maybe think about using the next link to tighten up the WD.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a half ton truck the range of proper adjustment of the WD hitch is much smaller. This means you really need to follow the hitch makers set-up instructions and use a C.A.T. scale for the final adjustment. Going to a 3/4 ton truck just makes the acceptable range of adjustment much wider. You have to be very aware of weights and adjustment with a half ton truck.
Your trailer and s well matched to that truck but if you have a canopy and carry a few hundred pounds of gear or tools in the bed you may be over the cargo capacity. Nothing will help that but losing some weight if that is the case.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

re choppy ride

Found out from the eaz-lift manufacture that my wd system does not work well with f-150 with intergrated sway control,they tend to fight each other. My other problem exist with trying to get the tt unhooked seems like I have to raise the tt till the back end of the truck raises probably 4 inches. Will ball tilt have some thing to do with it. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retfish View Post
Found out from the eaz-lift manufacture that my wd system does not work well with f-150 with intergrated sway control,they tend to fight each other. My other problem exist with trying to get the tt unhooked seems like I have to raise the tt till the back end of the truck raises probably 4 inches. Will ball tilt have some thing to do with it. Thanks.
Go on eaz-lift web page they have a good explain on setting it all up, just did it on my father in laws 2016 F150, tows nice, he has timbrens, but when set up proper he doesn’t contact... he has no sway control, so can’t comment on that. Get it set up proper, try it with and with out sway control, if you can.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You also need to know what your tongue weight percentage is. Many makers of smaller trailers try to minimize the tongue weight percentage to make the trailer fit into the cargo capacity of more vehicles but if that percentage gets below 12% the handling gets worse and below 10% it can be dangerous. So if it left the factory at 12% and you put a generator and bicycles on a carrier at the back you may have removed several hundred pounds of tongue weight. Not saying this is your problem, just something to look at.

Is that weight the dry weight they list for that trailer? I could not find it in their line to see what the weights were but you should check the weight sticker on the side of the trailer and pick a weight at least halfway between the empty weight and the gross weight. Nobody tows an empty trailer except the first time they bring it home so it will usually be much closer to the gross weight than the dry weight.

I personally limit trailer weight for any half ton truck at about 7500 pounds. After that you are towing something that weighs more than the truck towing it and it simply starts to push you around. The "towing limit" the manufacturer lists is really for boats which have a 7% tongue weight Vs a trailer which is between 12 and 15%. That's why they show them towing a real big boat in the commercials or maybe a flat bed trailer with bricks. Both have very low tongue weight.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #12

I've got a 2018 F-150 also and a trailer that's around 6500# loaded. Mine is a bit soft also, had some porpoising but I put some Bilstein shocks on the rear and pump the truck tires up to 44# and it has helped. The rest of it can be dealt with by the hitch adjustment.