Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Choppy tires on my first trailer

I just purchased my first travel trailer 2001 Coleman Caravan and it had choppy tires on it. I did get the dealer to replace the tires before I bought it but was concerned why the tires wore this way they claimed it was a faulty e brake issue on the tow vehicle but would like to hear from some other veteran travel trailer owners on this issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have seen this on a trailer that had a broken spring-caused the wheels to be out of alignment. Brand new trailer!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldgr777 View Post
I just purchased my first travel trailer 2001 Coleman Caravan and it had choppy tires on it. I did get the dealer to replace the tires before I bought it but was concerned why the tires wore this way they claimed it was a faulty e brake issue on the tow vehicle but would like to hear from some other veteran travel trailer owners on this issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Absolutely nothing to do with the tow vehicle E-brake. How incompetant some businesses are.
Depends what you mean by "Choppy". It can be axle misalignment and/or wheel balance.......But it is most likely axle misalignment. I would take it to a reputable frame & alignment shop to check.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply I was concerned of a suspension or alignment issue myself I did inspect the leaf springs didn't see anything a miss but how do you check for alignment? I spoke to another gentleman that said he had a problem with his e trailer brake setup and when he turned on his turn signal it was pulsing his trailer brakes. Also could ridding your brakes while towing do this to tires?. Sorry for all the ?'s new to this and do appreciate you replies
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
tires

Do you mean that there were flat spots or cupping of the tread ? flat spots are brake issues. cupping of the tread are shocks , alignment, unloaded towing ( bounce)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/ne...blems-tips.htm, says it much better than my feeble attempt ever would. Most tire shops wave you away when you ask them to balance your trailer tires, ignore them and insist they balance your tires anyway, after all it is your money. Your tires will wear better, last longer, and your "stuff" inside the trailer doesn't get bounced around as much.
This might help you diagnose your tire wear problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Pds47 has this one right. Most travel trailors have no shocks and tire cupping will result. You can add some and improve the ride lots
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

Thank you for all you replies they are very helpful and when it stops sleeting and raining I will check out the alignment again thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ray thanks a for the reference. That is A good web site and it taught me how to do something that I must not now pay someone else to do for me ! And it is simple
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #10

Just checked the alignment and it looked good and square it had to be either the balance or the lack of shocks I noticed though only 1 of the four tires on the TT has been balanced though so this will be my project before my next outing thanks again the people on this forum are most helpfull
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I had that problem on my old tt, the two front tires ( tandem axles ) were "cupped". I believe that was caused from the trailer not being towed level. The suspension on my SUV is soft riding, but it sags some. My new tt with the same tow vehicle I added a weight distribution system. Now I'm super level and don't bounce going down un-level roads.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #12

Before I pulled it the first time i got a wdh it's a 10,000# over kill I know but keeps her pretty level but what po did I'm not sure but I'm hoping
To solve the issue with the balancing of the tires.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

You still didn't give a good description of what you mean by "choppy tires"? Are there little flat spots all around the outside/outsides of the tire on a equal basis? Or, are there flat spots all the way across the center of the tread? Can you take a picture and post it?

Tags
tires