Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class A Guy Thinking of a TT

I've always owned class A motorhomes and have been RVing since 2008. Last year, we traded a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD for a 2015 HR Vacationer that was a QC disaster . I got rid of it for a 2006 Tiffin 32BA that seems to be pretty well sorted out. It's not as pretty, but everything works.

Recently, I've been thinking that a TT makes more sense. My 2014 F-150 can pull 8600 lbs and the Keystone Elite 31RE is looking good for our usage. It has a max weight of 8000 lbs, so I think I'm good. After our HR experience, I'm more than gun shy about getting something new. I'm a novice, at best, when it comes to backing a trailer into a site, so I know I need work there.

For those of you with new TTs, especially with this brand and model, how has the quality been? For those who've made the same transition, are there any regrets? The Tiffin works for us, so I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it. I'm just considering options and the Keystone looks like it might be the sweet spot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Someone will be along shortly to really explain in greater detail why, but start thinking to yourself that it is far better to have too much truck than too little when it comes to your safety. I need to finish my dinner before I get into it.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at the layout on the Keystone and it looks great. The weight is listed as 6380 lbs, so as long as you don't try to carry too much your Ford F-150 should work. Not a lot of room to play with, but enough if you are careful.

I'm thinking you will miss your outside storage most of all...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #4

Towing capacity is typically not the limiting factor in the F150. Cargo / payload and rear axle weight is.

Load your truck with people gear and gas like you'd have it for a trip, take it to a CAT scale and weight it. Compare total weight to your GVWR and compare rear axle to rear axle limit listed on the sticker in the door.

You'll probably be surprised at how little you have left for the TT and WD hitch setup.

I had a 2011 F150 with max tow and rated tow capacity of 11,400, my TT had a GVWR of only 10,250. that looks good on paper right. But put me, the wife, 3 dogs, full tank of gas, WD hitch and 10% of trailer only left me with 51# of payload and that was an empty bed in the truck, no gear. I wanted more margin in the number so we upgraded to F250
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
IC2

The 'numbers' for an F150 look good, but in reality, it's really a marginal size truck, as are any of the 150/1500 size for that long of a TT. That trailer has a payload of about 1600 pounds which includes your propane, water, supplies, personal 'stuff' and things that you always bring when you camp for a total of about 8K pounds. That works out fine for your pick up but that 35 foot length ....... A 250/2500 (or 350/3500) is always a better choice plus will allow for your future 'expansion', say to a pretty big 5th wheel if it's set up right.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I towed my 29' trailer, lighter than what you describe, with my F-150 for a couple of years. In my opinion, what you want to tow is too much for that truck. What I had was actually too much for it and I got pushed around a lot. I didn't realize how much until I got something the TT couldn't push around. To me, it's more about length and stability than weight. But you really need the ability to stop with failed trailer brakes. That's where the weight thing comes in.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Hi Kevin, We had 6 motorhomes ranging from 30' to 40' and three were diesels. Getting older and wanting to cut down on upkeep and expenses we sold the last motorhome two years ago and purchased a new truck and Keystone trailer. We spend the winters in it and don't move around much. The floor plan works for us and we like the truck. Entry level trailer but no problems and after several interior upgrades and changes it just works. Quality has been good and the trailer at a max of 6500lbs tows very well. Good luck with whatever you decide. John

bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

We traded our 2013 Keystone Outback Terrain (RLiving model) for our Class A motorhome....quality on the Keystone was very good....no issues with the trailer AT ALL.......hubby suffers from Rheumatoid Arth. in hands so hooking up the F150 and the trailer was awfully hard and painful and I am just not strong enough - especially for the sway bars....we did have the auto crank on the front. Because we had a light trailer we did not have issues with the tongue weight on our Crew Cab F150 but I can tell you that driving on highways with large trucks was much more stressful than in the Class A. The trailer did not feel as substantial and steady while camping as the Class A and leveling was sometimes an issue in the year we had it......all that said, we took it on a several hundred miles trip with two grandkids for three weeks up the East Coast and it performed beautifully Good luck with your changes and Happy Trails to you.

Tags
class a