Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
kat_nda_sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 813
If these salesmen are so convinced, would they let you take it for a test drive on the freeway so you can see how it tows? Maybe that would help.
__________________

__________________
Never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes... then you're a mile away & you've got their shoes!
Katina, Dave & kiddos ~ '97 Thor Residency 35'
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
schrederman's Avatar
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 941
I'm towing a 26' that weighs 5100# empty with a 2011 Ford F-150, 5.0 and it's not too much... but almost. The 5.0 has a lot more power than my work vehicle, a 2011 Expedition with the 5.4. Even though the engine is bigger, I would not like pulling my TT with the Expedition. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton diesel... just for peace of mind.

Jack
__________________

__________________
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greensburg, PA
Posts: 11
K, I am there with you.i bought a 2012 dutchman kodiak 300bhsl to pull with a Hensley arrow knowing that I was pushing the limits of an expedition. Yeah, all the tail
Wagging the dog stuff you read on these forums. It did it and didn't look like the YouTube videos but I opted for a f-150 with the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end. I put over 30k miles a year on my car so a f250 was overkill for the 2,000 miles I tow a year....

I use a Hensley arrow which I regret buying and investing over 3500 in for six months of use so far but overall my truck has I pressed me with the 1000 miles towed. I wish I bought a propride, anyway I sit here by a campfire in the finger lakes with my 3 kids really glad I am not in trailer that is 5 feet shorter and 2000 lbs less meaning lose the bunkhouse...
__________________
Kenorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
You had tail wag with a hensley hitch?
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 718
I'm also using an 06 F150 5.4 with 3.73s towing a 20 ft Excel TT at about 4500#. Out here in the west I wouldn't want to go any bigger with this truck I just did 500+ miles last week It did OK but any bigger and I wouldn't like it and my truck has the big tow package (9500#). I wouldn't want to do that at all!
__________________
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
OK after reading all the posts and talking to several "trusted" mechanics and people in the know here's what we ended up with.
Truck is a 2012 Toyota Tundra DBL cab 5.7 motor w/tow pkg. 4x4. Towing cap 9800. Yup Traded up from the 4.6 for only $2k more.
TT is a 2008 Keystone VR1. 33', 6900 dry, 955 hitch wgt. (14%) Forget the Harley this time around. Weighed the truck with the wife and about 100 lbs of gear in it and it came out to exactly 6,000 lbs. add about another 150 lbs max to the truck when fully loaded. Using a 12000 lb weight dist anti-sway hitch (1200 lb tongue wgt) Propane and battery are at the rear of the trailer and we won't be hauling more than 10 gals of water. Opinions?
__________________
bigguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
Member
 
Retiredcop20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 39
Bigguy1:
I am very interested in following your thread, I'm considering purchasing the exact same TV minus the 4X4. Can't wait to hear how your final solution goes. Good luck with your decision.
__________________
Retiredcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Member
 
Camp Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
I pull a 30 ft. Keystone Hideout with my 2007 Expy with the HD tow package and Reese weight distribution and sway. It pulls with no stress and the engine or transmission at all. Never had any wagging the dog or really any problems at all. The empty weight of the TT is 6230. Tow capacity is 9200#. And yes I know tow capacity isn't everything, just saying it can work fine as long as your setup the right way.
__________________
Camp Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Pricejh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenorie
K, I am there with you.i bought a 2012 dutchman kodiak 300bhsl to pull with a Hensley arrow knowing that I was pushing the limits of an expedition. Yeah, all the tail
Wagging the dog stuff you read on these forums. It did it and didn't look like the YouTube videos but I opted for a f-150 with the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end. I put over 30k miles a year on my car so a f250 was overkill for the 2,000 miles I tow a year....

I use a Hensley arrow which I regret buying and investing over 3500 in for six months of use so far but overall my truck has I pressed me with the 1000 miles towed. I wish I bought a propride, anyway I sit here by a campfire in the finger lakes with my 3 kids really glad I am not in trailer that is 5 feet shorter and 2000 lbs less meaning lose the bunkhouse...
You had wag with the Hensley? I confess that our first outing was disappointing. However, after a discussion with the mfg and one minor adjustment/ change the wiggle went away. I didn't have the compression struts parallel with the frame. Ya Da! Issue went away. I won't tow without my Hensley.
__________________
John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20 View Post
Bigguy1:
I am very interested in following your thread, I'm considering purchasing the exact same TV minus the 4X4. Can't wait to hear how your final solution goes. Good luck with your decision.

We can't take it out until the end of August but will keep you posted on how the shake down trip goes!!
__________________
bigguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
Member
 
NLPRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 31
We too are going to try to move from a Class A to a TT, once/if we sell our motorhome. We are out growing the sleeping capacity of ours and any other MH with the sleeping capacity we want is just too expensive for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Chris
I pull a 30 ft. Keystone Hideout with my 2007 Expy with the HD tow package and Reese weight distribution and sway. It pulls with no stress and the engine or transmission at all. Never had any wagging the dog or really any problems at all. The empty weight of the TT is 6230. Tow capacity is 9200#. And yes I know tow capacity isn't everything, just saying it can work fine as long as your setup the right way.
When we get our trailer, we're going to tow it with our 2007 Expedition EL (ours has the HD tow package too). Did you try any other hitches besides the Reese setup or just get lucky on the first try? I used to tow a Pace 28' enclosed car hauler with a 2001 F150 using an Eaz-Lift weight distribution & sway setup (which I think is very similar to the Reese) and worked great, even in the rare instance when I was a little overloaded.
__________________

__________________
NLPRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.