Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #29

Well Jayco I can testify, in my case, plain old rotting wood. This 2000 we bought (cheap ) has a good bit of rot in certain areas, but with a good bit of work is now a good first TT and a real learning experience. From what i have seen here so far my next with be another used Alum/wood TT with a much more knowing pre purchase inspection.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #30

Is it harder to caulk Aluminum? Because it seems like it would be.
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Canon vs. Nikon? Does anyone actually use a camera anymore? Sounds like one of those Beta vs. VHS opinion polls!
Nikon and gel-coat fiberglass. Both look better!

A good fiberlass is easier to wash, wax and keep looking new. Doesn't dent, stays cleaner, more aerodynamic etc.

You do have to wax it, but if the rig looks shiny and new after years (and if that matters to you) there really isn't a question. If you spend any time around marinas (salt) the finish on a boat will speak volumes. Older fiberglass boats that have been maintained well still look new after 15-20+ years! And that's with saltwater and "double" the sunlight reflecting back up off the water all day.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #32

I don't think you can compare a gel coat finish/longevity to much of anything normally seen on the side of an RV. Front and rear caps, OK. But not the sides.

No difference when it comes to caulking alum. Same materials used, same processes.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
When it comes to aluminum and wood, do they at least use treated wood for framing to resist water damage? or is it simple kiln dried 2x2's that I could buy at Home Depot?
Replacing the roof on my 5er and from what I can see nothing is treated. The trusses and tops of the side walls are all kiln dried only.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #34

Jayco-I have found caulking Alum. no different, maybe have to be more precise with the bead size. I use Proflex, works great.

Any idea which way you are going yet ?

Jim
Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Jayco-I have found caulking Alum. no different, maybe have to be more precise with the bead size. I use Proflex, works great.

Any idea which way you are going yet ?

Jim

Tomorrow morning we look at the used Viewfinder first. But we are leaning towards the 24' Kingsport 20QBG.we really like the rear kitchen windows.

New 2015 Gulf Stream RV Kingsport 20QBG Travel Trailers at Fun Town RV Cleburne Texas Fun Town RV

I'm sure we'll go back and look at the Jayco X17Z too just to be sure we are over the expandable thing now that we have the GMC.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #36

Retired Fire Service RVer's
The limitation of treated wood, is that it's quite corrosive to a number of other materials. In house framing it's limited to exterior things like decks, though it's also used for sill plates where it's in contact with a concrete foundation. In some parts of the country, where wood foundations are permitted, it's used for that too.

The old CCA treated wood used arsenic as a preservative, so doubt muchly that any pressure treated wood has ever been utilized in RV applications. I could be wrong, as I have been SO many times in my life!

Keep Calm and Carry On!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #37

Very nice ! The only thing i see is no slide ( really opens up the living area , nice for us weightly challenged ones) and not ducted air.

Jim
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Very nice ! The only thing i see is no slide ( really opens up the living area , nice for us weightly challenged ones) and not ducted air.

Jim

Yeah, but for the price, I could sacrifice the slide and the ducts.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #39

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
Yeah, but for the price, I could sacrifice the slide and the ducts.
And since you and your partner are mostly focused on trying out the RV life style, smart idea to avoid depreciation on a new unit. Nice looking TT.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #40

If i read correctly, the Gulfstream is new 2015. As stated before, i'm a BIG advocate of used ( previously owned ) particularly as a first timer. But it is a nice unit, but I don't have the jingle for new, and if i did, i think i would still let someone else take the first deprecation hit.

Jim
Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #41

I had a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 19RD. Wood with aluminum siding. I did a lot of camping in bad weather in Wyoming. If you are driving into a storm, against the wind, rain, and snow the siding leaks. In fact Jayco even says in their manual do not high pressure wash the aluminum siding it will leak. So not unusual for it to leak while driving into a storm. If I lived in AZ, NV, CA where there isn't a lot of water aluminum siding is probably OK. Not in Wy.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #42

Not questioning the leaking, but , there's a little difference in a driving rain storm and a high pressure washer.

Jim