Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #43

I've never heard of anyone having an issue like that (driving in a storm). I suppose anything is possible though.

I can tell you that the lower bottom piece of alum on a TT is damaged frequently. NEVER have I ever seen evidence of rainwater collecting there when removing that panel.

If there's water damage on a front wall, it's generally from the window, or the front roof seam.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I've never heard of anyone having an issue like that (driving in a storm). I suppose anything is possible though.

I can tell you that the lower bottom piece of alum on a TT is damaged frequently. NEVER have I ever seen evidence of rainwater collecting there when removing that panel.

If there's water damage on a front wall, it's generally from the window, or the front roof seam.
No windows in front. Never leaked when raining. Soaked front bed while driving into a head wind while raining. Leaked through siding seams.
I pulled off some paneling. I would never buy another aluminum sided RV.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I don't think you can compare a gel coat finish/longevity to much of anything normally seen on the side of an RV. Front and rear caps, OK. But not the sides.
Many of them have it now.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #46

Double check the cargo capacity on the Jayco X17Z. I can't recall, but I think that may be one if the hybrid models that has a really skimpy cargo capacity. The dry weight vs GVWR was very close.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #47

This just doesn't get any easier does it?

Now its a toss up between the Jayco 238RB which is $14600, and the Gulfstream Kingsport 20QBG which is $13900.

Both are aluminum.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
So the options are wood rot with aluminum trailers, or delamination with fiberglass. Sounds like a catch 22...
I had a fiberglass sides on my first travel trailer and it did fine with one minor roof leak. The floor was the 2 inch styrofoam stuff and floor became soft feeling so i sold it. Motorhome had a couple delaminations on slides which was fiberglass. My current travel trailer has metal siding and metal aluminum instead of wood walls and top. I prefer metal siding over fiberglass.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #49

Chris
If you can, post the floor plan for the Jayco, i have seen the one on the Gulfstream.

Jim
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Chris
If you can, post the floor plan for the Jayco, i have seen the one on the Gulfstream.

Jim
This is the Jayco, which I'm noticing says "archived product". Does that mean 2014 was the last year for this one?

2014 Jay Flight Swift 238RB | Jayco, Inc.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #51

classic argument

My experience with our 1990 25ft. Classic HILO is that our wall delamination occurred because we didn't realize we had to take out all windows and reseal/reinstall with new butyl tape and Lexel caulk. DH is handy and did the delamination repair. I have been reading extensively on the www.airforums.com website about Airstreams. They are prone to rivet/wall leaks. The floors rot out. The 70s models had rear end sag which just caused the water to pour into the back bumper and rot it out. Don't take my word for this read and be informed as per the website. One family just purchased a new Airstream and they have a bad leak. Very poor quality control from the factory. Also corrosion on new trailers. A very expensive brand to buy. Many happy Airstream owners exist.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #52

Man that's a tough choice, i love that big wrap around dining area, and the lloks of the Gulfsteam, but no sofa or living area and looks like a small bath.

Think i would go for the Jayco. But i would look for a nice used one

Jim
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #53

I have had both types. I can say I will never own another aluminum RV. I use to spend countless hours removing the black streaks every time we went somewhere. Fiberglass gets the black streaks to but just wipes off. Even Windex easily removes it on fiberglass. Aluminum is another story.

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote