Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

cleaning and sealing rubber roofs

My rubber roof on myJayco has green algae under the air conditioner and along the gutter line. I would like to know of a good over all cleaner i can use on the whole roof that will also remove these stains Can you also recommend a good sealer ? Do i use a sponge ,soft brush,rags or what? thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #2

I had a Jayco and I used spic and span to clean the roof.. There is no coating or sealer for EPDM . It's designed to chalk as it wears so, only cleaning is necessary. It's also advised to go up annually and check all seams and seal them with self leveling Dicor calk designed for EPDM membanes as they open or crack. Use no solvents on it either as they will react with the membrane.
-Paul R. Haller-

Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #3

As Paul said, Spic N Span is recommended by Dicor for washing their EPDM roof covering. Add a few ounces of bleach to the solution and it will kill mold and mildew when you wash the roof. I use a long-handled car wash brush on the roof, it's much easier and faster. Keep the RV sides wet while washing the roof or you'll be scrubbing streaks off if they dry there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the input.I didnt mean a sealer but maybe a protectant,also is that a couple of ozs. of bleach per bucket? The bleach wont harm the roof?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Sorry I wasn't clear. I add a few oz. bleach to my 5G bucket (4G water) of Spic N Span, which is proportioned per box label for heavy cleaning. I forget the measurement. This removes all mold/mildew and virtually all dirt.
Concerning protectants or sealers. I never use one. The actual EPDM roof covering is warranted for 12 years with only an annual cleaning.
When Dicor figured out they could make money selling cleaners,sealers and protectants, they re-wrote their roof maintenance page to eliminate their recommendation to use Spic N Span.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

So there is no sealant

or UV protectant? We are planning to clean the fifth this week and have on hand Simple Green (also Spic and Span which is abrasive). We have heard that we need to have a protectant for the roof and for the tires. There is a product for both, I think. I just can't find it. kkd
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Check this thread for pictures http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/protectall-before-and-after-pix-68618.html
I had very good success with Protect All on my rubber roof.

Dick
Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
GPW

We have a Jayco with a TPO roof . Just bought 100' of 4" Eternabond tape (with the UV protection strip on the top)... Got it from a roofing and sheet metal place , not as expensive as I thought @ 1.00USD a foot. Plan on replacing all that messy caulk with a Carefully applied tape system.. Done properly that should eliminate a lot of annual caulk problems ... Since I'm a "lesser" RVr with a small lightweight TT , I have to get the most protection for my unit ... being Old and retired , just less time on the roof ... Been cleaning mine with car wash soap , but will switch to Spic and Span next time ... and the bleach ... Thanks for that tip !!! Around here , EVERYTHING molds quickly in our normally high Humidity .. that should really help !!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We wash ours with Murphys Oil Soap and then apply Aerospace 303 protectant. Only product that I know of that is spf 40.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
GPW

Do we really need sunscreen on these roofs ???
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
GPW

My roof is 11 years old and as far as I know it's never had Sunscreen applied. We live in New Mexico so the UV is high and the humidity is low. You can see from the pictures in the link in post #7 the roof is still in good shape. So unless the Protec-All has a UV component my experience says no, but if it does have a UV protector than it works. There pitch doesn't mention UV protection. Rubber Roof Treatment - Protect All

Dick
Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a boat deck brush and Spic-n-Span and never any "sealant" which was per te rubber roof instructions. Stains from bird poop, tree sap and alge are not going to huty the roof..besides who is going to see the roog.

Ken
Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
GPW

Thanks guys , my TPO roof is paper thin, found that out from a bad experience with a wind blown limb, and I worry about it all the time ...

Tags
rags, soft brush