Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Cleaning the awning?

How on earth is this done?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

Scrub it with a brush?

Seriously though, what do you have and want?
Basically, roll it out, spray it off, scrub with some soap and water like you should be using for the rest of the RV, including roof, and then rinse it off.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

A lot of people use a product called "awesome". It is what it says it is. It comes in a spray bottle with minimal labeling and we find it at the local dollar store. Deploy the awning all the way, have a helper work the awning control and spray the entire underside as your helper retracts the awning. Let it sit for ten minutes or so, I prefer to use a liquid timer such as one can of beer but your results may vary. Unroll and scrub with a soft brush as you go along, hose off and good as new. It is not much work at all. Just let the cleaner do the work for you.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

cleaning awning

We use awning cleaner that was purchased at walmart in the rv section. Wet your awning spray with cleaner then rinse. We use a combination of a long handled scrub brush and a hand held scrub brush. Follow the directions on the bottle of cleaner. As mentioned let the cleaner sit on the fabric long enough to be effective. When the awning is dry we apply sun of a gun to both sides with a dedicated sponge mop. Like putting wax on a floor. Any dirt you get on the awning wipes off with a cloth. I also use a soft bristled broom to get dirt off. You may find your awning stays clean enough that you can get away with cleaning every two yrs. Provided you apply the son of a gun.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

If you have a manual awning, just roll it out and keep it low, and then scrub it with a long handled brush.

If you have a power awning do the same, but get up on a ladder and have your wife dial 91 before you start.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #6

Make sure you read the cleaning instructions for products. Some awning instructions say no chlorine.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Thanks to all that had "helpful" hints.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

I use Lysol Mold & Mildew remover...works GREAT!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

Murphy's oil soap....it's very gentle and can be used safely on most everything.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
How on earth is this done?
We use a "Magic Eraser" Mop, and it works quite well.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck51 View Post
A lot of people use a product called "awesome". It is what it says it is. It comes in a spray bottle with minimal labeling and we find it at the local dollar store. Deploy the awning all the way, have a helper work the awning control and spray the entire underside as your helper retracts the awning. Let it sit for ten minutes or so, I prefer to use a liquid timer such as one can of beer but your results may vary. Unroll and scrub with a soft brush as you go along, hose off and good as new. It is not much work at all. Just let the cleaner do the work for you.
x2 on "Awesome" from the dollar store! Will make the fabric as clean as it was when it was new. Like the idea of the timer too!
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12

I bought some Awesome but see dilution instructions on the bottle. For those of you who have used this for awnings, do you dilute or use straight? Also, does anyone have thoughts on using this on an EPDM roof (straight or diluted)?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

As far as dilution on the awning, I will usually spray the awning down with the hose a bit first so yes it gets diluted some but I couldn't give you a ratio, minimal at best. Using it on the roof? I can't remember what is on the ingredient list, I will try to look when I pick the trailer up (it's getting a new power jack under warranty) but it may be citrus based which I think is a no go for the rubber roofs.

Tags
awning