RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Cleaning up my stabilizer jacks

My jacks were in really bad shape. It took quite a bit of time to clean them up.

I may end up replacing the two rear jacks because they still don't operate very well.
The previous owner didn't maintain / clean them at all, so they got really rusty.

Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #2

You can order thread dies cheap on amazon. Run the jack all the way down, which may require lifting the front higher or parking it over a hole in the yard, then run the die over the threads and clean them up. I prefer to use lube like dry silicone that does not attract dirt.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

Wire brush to the threads, a wire wheel on a drill might be easier. Spray some oil on as you clean. You should be able to recover them and it will be cheaper and easier than replacing. When you have them working spray with lithium lube.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
You can order thread dies cheap on amazon.

I've never seen a thread die that comes apart so you can get it around a threaded rod that is captive like on the jacks.

I've also never seen one for a jack screw, which has squared off threads.
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

Your jacks look identical to mine, corrosion and all. Mine were new in Dec 2017. I have not abused them. For the most part I have avoided driving on salted roads. I camped on a Gulf beach one night. I lube them with light lubricant before traveling.
I would lube yours and maybe exercise them a few times. Then I would go camping.
Unless you can find the unusual replacement jack that has been properly designed and built, your next jacks have a high probability of looking the same is a couple of years. Proper corrosion protection is not magic. It is a choice manufacturers make.
I am thinking of priming and painting my entire year old frame and undercarriage including the jacks. I can't do anything about the zinc plated jackscrew and nuts. But the newer it is when repainted, the easier it is to prepare before repainting.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

I would look at Kroil oil which I call black magic. When the others such as blaster, WD40, etc etc would not touch my stairs kroil did the trick.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill111 View Post
I've never seen a thread die that comes apart so you can get it around a threaded rod that is captive like on the jacks.

I've also never seen one for a jack screw, which has squared off threads.
That squared of thread is an Acme thread most likely.
Dies for that type of thread are not common and would really only be needed if the threads were damaged.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't clean and lube them too much or they will not stay tight to the ground. I am trying to get mine a bit crusty because they back off at times.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Don't clean and lube them too much or they will not stay tight to the ground. I am trying to get mine a bit crusty because they back off at times.
One of mine is starting to do that also..

Tags
jacks