Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #1

coaxial cable longer than 100ft

This past weekend I was camping trying to get reception for my DTV and I ran out of cable length. I had a 50 ft cable and I needed to go at least 150 feet to get out of trees. One of the campers told me that the longer i went out the worst receiption I would get. Also they told me if i went out that far I would need rg-6 cable. Is there anyone out there that can clarify this for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #2

coaxial cable longer than 100ft

Without getting into the technical details, your neighbor is correct. There are two types of coaxial cable used to carry tv signals, RG-59 and RG-6. RG-59 has the highest loss per foot and RG-6 the least. You can look up the actual losses per foot online.

As a rule of thumb, throw out the RG-59 except for very short jumpers and use RG-6 between your antennae and receiver. Make nice with the cable technician next time you see him/her and maybe he'll give you a nice long piece with connectors already installed.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can't make friends with the cable guy (or gal), check out Monoprice.com. Quality gear at very reasonable prices, I just updated my coax supply after a similar situation last month.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to look into getting the 29v power inserter also if you don't already have one. This is to get you the power needed to the LNB for runs over 150' long. This is for the SWim type of Directv dish. You need to get the solid copper wiring instead of the copper clad wiring also.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

If you want to buy a ready made cable, the brand Home Depot sells has a lot better connectors on them then the ones Lowes sells.....and don't use the quick disconnect things....they don't hold up....I test how smooth the cable ends turn.....the male to male connectors that screw on between the cables are the ones to get
Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
You may want to look into getting the 29v power inserter also if you don't already have one. This is to get you the power needed to the LNB for runs over 150' long. This is for the SWim type of Directv dish. You need to get the solid copper wiring instead of the copper clad wiring also.
Solid copper won't buy you much of anything. The higher the frequency the more it travels on the outside of the wire. Television in general is into skin effect. That is why the high grade comm cable is copper or silver over aluminum.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

My favorite summer camping spot on my local lake requires a long run to get a clear view of the sky. I have DirecTV and use the same dish that I have at home (Slimeline-5S SWM). I use the 21 volt power inserter and run RG6 coax. It takes right at 300 ft. from the camper to the dish and I get great signal (in the 90's on all sats). I camp with my parents and cousin on the adjacent campsites and both of them hook into my SWM 8 way splitter and go to their campers...each about 100 ft. away. It works great for all of us and that is lots of cable.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

With the swim systems are going to lose some signal when you run it that long one way around that is to get a 29 V power supply from Directv and put in place of the 21 for power supply that'll get you a little bit further length before you lose the quality. But the swim system you need solid copper RG 56 copper clad will work but when you start going those long distances the solid copper makes a difference
Old 08-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #9

I usually order this RG-6 Quad Shield from Solid Signal for my home antenna installation. It is a good value, and has great connectors. They will also custom make an exact length if needed, but the drop down box pre-made choices will get you close enough.
Solid Signal Custom Length RG6 Quad Shield w/ Connectors (SSCBLQ) from Solid Signal
Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #10

RG-6 with compression fittings is best to use (recent former cable guy). It is best to use solid copper for satellite, but RG-6 will work.

Quad shield is kind of overkill though it works very well, but is most needed when running next to power as power may cause interference on cable in which the quad shield does a nice job of keeping the interference out.

Also, from working on RV's/trailers for cable purposes it seems at some point in time when (not if) the internal splitters of the RV/trailer fail, you will have to end up running a cable through a slide out or window.

Splitters in a RV/trailer seem to be an afterthought when they are built and I havent found a manufacture yet that can tell you where they are located. So when they fail its either tear the place apart trying to find them or as mentioned go through a slideout or other opening.

Self Serving plug, I will be staying at Mill Creek in Kissimme beginning in September. I will have plenty of cable supplies to do repairs as this will be my side job while down there.