Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Coleman propane lantern

we have been carrying this lantern and used it once in 4 yrs. but if I leave it home sure enough we will need it.. it doesn't take up any room along with 2 1lb propane bottles, just trying to keep stuff to a minimum...comments..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

My DW, has a lot of " what if " stuff loaded into the coach , and it's my job to get it in somewhere.

I carry a new , electric pressure cooker , with only 16,000 miles on it.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

>" it doesn't take up any room along with 2 1lb propane bottles, just trying to keep stuff to a minimum...comments.."

I carry an LED re-chargable lantern now.
The propane Coleman joins the older propane gas lanterns out in the garage.
(sighs)
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

We haven't used ours for 4 years, we have 2 led lanterns and the led porch light... I cant imagine a good reason to buy one nowadays with all the high output led lanterns available.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Used to always carry my Coleman gas lantern. Used it a few times. Got a new Coleman battery lantern & retired the old gas one. Led is just as bright , starts instantly and won't start a fire if it gets knocked over. Also eliminates the need to carry fuel around.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

We bought an LED lantern a few years ago from Costco and use it often. But don't you miss the "hiss" of the Coleman? I've thought about attaching a little mp3 player to the LED for that nostalgic sound😉

Ed
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
Something about the propane lantern I still like. Could be the fact that my lantern is ~ 30 years old and still works great; who knows, but i like it. I am not knocking LEDs, just still clinging to some old traditions here.

I carry a 5 lb refillable tank that I use with my gas grill. I use a distribution post to connect the lantern and grill to the one, relatively small tank. Nice to have the light right by the grill too.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I still like the smell from my gasoline Coleman and thought about upgrading to propane but just can't pull the trigger.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

I still have a couple old coleman fuel lanterns because I know they will work in 20 below 0*f weather. But reality is that I have a couple headlamps that work better when I use lithium batteries. The lanterns stay home in the garage drained of fuel.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

I made a couple of bucket lights.
Google rv bucket lights.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #11

When 'camping' we packed/carried/hauled around LOTS of stuff ..... just in case so IF needed we had it and 'camping trip' wasn't ruined.

When we were 'FT' we did NOT carry/haul anything that was NOT needed/used daily.
IF we did need something we would go purchase it when in town.

While FTng it was fun to sit outside and watch 'campers' show up and pull items out, and more items and more items ---like a 'circus clown car'
Almost as much fun as watching them 'park'

Now that we are not FTng we have not gone back into that 'camping mode' mind set that we MIGHT need it.
IF we find we need something we put it on the 'list' and put it in rig for NEXT time.

So far.......List is still empty and we really don't need much STUFF
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Coleman propane lantern until it caught fire. Now I have a battery/LED (Ray-O-Vac, I think) camping lantern.

I used to use it a lot when I just had a camper shell to camp in, but since I bought the motorhome, I haven't used it in over two years.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane