Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Coleman vs jayco for newbies

Hello...wife and I are buying first tt in the next couple of days. Narrowed it to two: Coleman lantern model and the Jayflight SLX by Jayco. Will be pulled by f150 with tow capacity of 7600 max. The Colemans dry weight is 4473 and 26ft and the Jayflight is 4713 and 29 ft. I've run the numbers multiple times and both should work. Will just be wife and I so we will never come close to max gvwr of tt. Anyone have experience with either of these. We are leaning towards the jayco due to researched resale vale and their record. These are entry level tt. We are also very new to tt so we don't want something too big or too expensive. Opinions on each model appreciated. Have a great 4th of July. Nick.
nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

Last year my wife and I bought out first TT, a new Coleman Lantern 192RDS, 19' box and 23' overall. While not the same Coleman you are considering, I wanted to share with you that we were very happy with the sturdiness and reliability of the Coleman after using it on two major 5k mile multi-state trips and several shorter ones. We never had a single problem with it. We initially pulled it with a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee that handled the trailer well and later upgraded to an F150 3.5L Ecoboost with max tow. The F150 hardly knew the trailer was back there. This year we traded our trusty Coleman in on a new Bullet 269RLS because we wanted a bigger trailer and the Bullet had the floor plan we wanted. The Coleman is a great trailer.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Take a look at the trucks tongue weight and payload ratings. You'll likely max that out before you hit your 7600lb limit. Remember the loaded tongue weight of the trailer also has to come off the payload of the truck. As does the passengers and gear in the truck.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Take a look at the trucks tongue weight and payload ratings. You'll likely max that out before you hit your 7600lb limit. Remember the loaded tongue weight of the trailer also has to come off the payload of the truck. As does the passengers and gear in the truck.
HI archer, tongue weight of truck is 710-760 max. Payload capacity is 1419. We pack lightly so I'm thinking we are ok, please let me know if I'm ok. Thanks
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Look into open range owned by Jayco we absolutely love ours have had it for year and don't have one regret I wish I would've bought it 15 years ago!
JRWillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

You'll have to look at the dry tongue weight of the trailers you're looking at. Then factor in the weight of the batteries and weight of the propane in the tanks. As well as the weight of the WD hitch you use and add all that ton your tongue weight. You typically want 10-15% of your trailer weight on the tongue.
And all the gear in the trailer adds up really fast, much faster than you think, and a percentage of that is tongue weight.
Yes, you will overload tongue weight easily.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Don't forget to add the weight of driver and all passengers, a full tank of fuel, plus all the gear loaded in the truck bed! With that tongue weight you're using up half the available payload before you start.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

I had a horrible experience with two (keystone) Coleman's in a row, 2013 & 2014, and both 297RE. We loved to layout but there was a design fault that allowed water to ingress when driving in the rain. The manufacturer tried for over two years and at great expense to resolve but in the end could not resolve the design issue nor could they admit to the issue as it would cause (IMHO) serious repercussions with current owners. The dealer / manufacturing relationship was poor as the dealer had a significant number of similar quality issues. In the end the dealer stopped carrying the manufacturer, we sold ours, and moved to a jayco eagle. Extremely pleased does not start to describe our experience now. Contact me directly and I can share more.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

I'd get the Jayco... Overall they are a better manufacturer. Our TT has a claimed dry weight of 5000lbs, and tongue weight of 450lbs. Actually the TT weights 5300lbs and the tongue weights 700lbs with propane, hitch, electric jack and batteries. Our F150 drove very poorly with it, upgraded to a 3/4 ton, now I get to the campsite relaxed.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jayco 2 year warrenty
Old 07-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

So after considering the numbers closer, we found another, better rv for a little more money, and lighter. The numbers are: dry wt- 3535, length 23 ft, hitch weight of 392. Based on previous stats, these seem more manageable. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
So after considering the numbers closer, we found another, better rv for a little more money, and lighter. The numbers are: dry wt- 3535, length 23 ft, hitch weight of 392. Based on previous stats, these seem more manageable. Please let me know. Thanks.
It shouldn't be a problem towing a trailer with that weight....loaded, you'll be around 4,500 lbs.

As a happy Minnie owner, I'd suggest that you look at the Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS. Minnie | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #13

New update: after searching high and low for something to fit our needs, we purchased a bullet crossfire by keystone today! Dry weight of 3320 and 22 feet total. We are very happy with it and are bringing home tomorrow! Can't wait to take it out for a first trip soon. Thanks for advice along the way. I'm sure more questions to come.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #14

Enjoy!
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, newbie, newbies