Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Come over from the "dark side"

DW & I are contemplating selling our motorhome and getting a TT. One reason is cost. Seems you can get a lot more for your buck with a TT. We would be looking at used, around 30' and upscale amenities.
I bow to your expertise for suggestions

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #2

Yes you can but you also need to factor the TV cost into it. A new nicely appointed 3/4 or 1 ton can run 50k or more. But then you get a dual use vehicle in the mix.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Besides the TV, you will find that your storage options have changed, something you don't miss until you don't have it any more. Other than that, good luck in your search.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

It would be difficult to go wrong with either a TT made my Northwoods RV at Northwood Manufacturing or Outdoors RV at Outdoors RV Mfg. Another interesting choice are Bigfoot Trailers. They stopped production some years ago and then started production again. Bigfoot doesn't make a 30' trailer, but they are reported to be extremely well made to include the older models. Finally, Airstream TT could be on your consideration list, although many have concerns about their ability to manage extreme heat and cold. In addition, Airstream TT aluminum exterior are more susceptibility to damage than fiberglass exteriors. And in a nutshell, that's my humble opinion. Good luck in your search.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

All the above are great, but high end on the $ scale, i guess moving from a MH thats not a factor. DW and I are close to retirement and love our 2015 Grey Wolf 26RL , granted, not the quality of those mentioned , love the rear living ( just DW and i ) and fit our budget and needs ( hopefully till the great camper in the sky )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1223141427a.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	98094  
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Start your search for that "dream RV" at the craigslist site in your local area.
See you live in western Mass. So start with the Albany NY area and then expland to the Glen Falls area. If that search fails check out the massive inventory at Albany RV (now in Latham, NY at a new larger facility just off the Northway I87). There is another huge dealership just north of there at Exit 16 of the Nothway (Alpen Hass) they have a massive inventory. Can't think of any huge dealers in western Mass.

I did notice that some RV dealers have large stocks of 5th wheel units at extreme discounts. I get emails from Pete's RV dealerships....one in South Burlington Vermont with a big sale to reduce used inventory...some great prices!

Good luck and enjoy the search...you will find the perfect layout and know it when you see it!

Happy Camping!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have owned a couple of TT's. Even today I own a small TT for knocking around in. From what I know, upscale in a TT does not equate to upscale in a MH. The TT can't handle the weight of all the fancy and neat and cool stuff in a MH. That being said there are some very nice TT's out there. You just need to look around and spend some time sitting and pretend living in them. The highway aspect is a different world between the two.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
If you buy from an individual, research them as much as the trailer. Some folks just don't take care of things... and it's usually pretty easy to tell. Someone will get a good deal on mine next year, because I have fixed everything and it's been in covered storage since new, except when in use. It's had several upgrades, too. I'm an A&P (aircraft) mechanic, so this stuff is pretty easy, really.

I wouldn't buy a TT that has been sitting outside in the sun and rain for years. UV radiation and moisture are the enemy of almost all man-made compounds. Some are optimized for outdoor use.... but the RV industry isn't famous for using those materials... Good luck with your search... and safe travels...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

You should take a look at the Forest River Vibe 312BHS
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Yes you can but you also need to factor the TV cost into it. A new nicely appointed 3/4 or 1 ton can run 50k or more. But then you get a dual use vehicle in the mix.
Love the nickname

Understood. We've confined ourselves to the fact that we will have to go a wee smaller but, we're willing sacrifice some things for the end result. Looking for something a large suv, Honda Pilot, Suburban etc., can handle.

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

If you are looking at a tow vehicle that is marginal, I would HIGHLY suggest the Hensley Arrow anti-sway hitch. We recently sold our 27 foot Prowler TT. We had an overkill TV in a F-350, but we didn't have ANY sway. Stable as all get out. I would never consider trailering again without one! On amenities, you may have to go to a fifth wheel to get the quality and amenities you are used to in a MH, but then you are back up to a truck as a TV. Good luck in your move!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Went from a 34 Itasca to a 36 ft toy box. Worst mistake ever made. Now back in MH and happy. Be careful what you wish for.