Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #1

Looked today at a few models on a newer local dealer lot today. Most were new 2005 models, and the ones of some interest were TT, about 26 to 28 ft models (overall length given 2 or 3 ft longer then the model number). Prefer bunk beds for grandkids when they can go, and probably at least one slide.
I assume these are entry level models and being 2005 holdovers, were priced in the 16 to 18 thou range. Some aluminum frame, some wood, some metal siding, and some fiberglas. Will look at established Jayco dealer soon.
Would prefer used to cut current investment, but can't live with ones that smell like kennels or stale smoke (odor never really goes away).
Any general comment you can make towards these makes would be appreciated. Haven't owned TT since 1990.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #2

Looked today at a few models on a newer local dealer lot today. Most were new 2005 models, and the ones of some interest were TT, about 26 to 28 ft models (overall length given 2 or 3 ft longer then the model number). Prefer bunk beds for grandkids when they can go, and probably at least one slide.
I assume these are entry level models and being 2005 holdovers, were priced in the 16 to 18 thou range. Some aluminum frame, some wood, some metal siding, and some fiberglas. Will look at established Jayco dealer soon.
Would prefer used to cut current investment, but can't live with ones that smell like kennels or stale smoke (odor never really goes away).
Any general comment you can make towards these makes would be appreciated. Haven't owned TT since 1990.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 AM   #3

We have owned a Palomino popup and Travel Trailer and now own a Puma 5th wheel all made by Palomino. We have nothing but good things to say about the service we have received from both Palomino and Puma and would recommend them for someone who is starting out or whats good quality for a good price. We looked at Jayco..wilderness etc and found they were priced higher with no more quality than the Puma and Palomino. We will upgrade in a couple years and will definately go back to Puma and Palomino because they stand behind their products and the quality is as good as some higher end units new or used.
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

David C

We have owned Coachmen popup.
We have owned Coachmen 24ft.
Spirit of America TT.
And we now own a Coachmen 26ft.
Catalina Lite.
We would still have the 24ft.
TT if it had not been stolen
last May.
We really like our new 26ft.
Catalina.

Billie in Texas
Billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most entry level rigs are about the same in quality and will probably hold up for a few years. Look closly at the defination of framing. I owned a TrailLite (same mfg as Trail Bay) where the aluminium frame was nothing more than a loop of tubing that ran around the outside of the wall panel, there was no other framing in the walls. This seems to be the new standard in lightweight construction. Other mfgs are also following suit. Komfort,Holiday Rambler and some others use a full alum frame with either aluminium or fiberglass siding attached to it. While RV dealers claim the average time a person owns any RV is 3-5 yrs - I prefer to buy something that will last longer. However if your intent is to trade every few years quality construction is not a huge issue as most rigs have 2yr warrantys now.

As for bunk beds for the grandkids - unless they are going to travel with you on a regular basis, or for long periods of time I would not get them - they are a big waste of space.

Don't confuse features with quality. I have looked at many new units that already had water damage, loose pieces of material in the cupboards, daylight showing through around wheel wells - and other places. Look at wiring and pipe placement. Get on your hands and knees and really look - open all overhead compartments and look and feel for any signs of moisture along the roof seams. Look for bubbles in the interior wallboard around windows and skylights - they are the first sign of leaks. I did not knickname my Trail Lite the Leaky Tiki for nothing
Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #6

Appreciate all the comments, and any more that follow. A lot of things to inspect as it gets closer to a decision. Wife did not get to see any today so no additional input from her.
Looked at many Jayco Jay Flight and Jay Feather models, 2 Cougar, 1 Montana, and 1 used Jayco today. The Cougars were very nice, but much larger and out of any current price consideration. Nice to see though to help put perspective on everything.
I found I did not like models that the masterbed area was reached by passing thru the bath area - you could get trapped in there if someone entered the bathroom. Most were bunk models and 3 bunks would be a necessity, because I want the kids along as much as possible while I am alive. The dinette style beds will only sleep one adult catty-corner, and the sofas also sleep only one adult.
In the models about 29 to 31 ft (total length), wood frame units weighed about a ton more than those with aluminum frames. The wood frame models' interiers seemed just a touch fancier within the price range I examined. I did decide it did not matter whether aluminum or fiberglas siding was the exterier, at least for appearance sake.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco is know for good quality. Again, ask about the aluminium frame and see if it is a true frame or just a loop that goes around the outside of the wall. On units of the size you are looking at you will need a good support structure to hold it together.

It sounds like you want to take both your kids and grandkids with you. You are right that most of the dinettes and sofas will sleep only one adult - barely. Depending on how big the grandkids are they might also enjoy sleeping on the floor in the living room area - that might be something to look at in a floorplan.

What kind of a tow vehicle do you have?

Take a look at Forest River (salem)31QVSS
or the Dutchman 29QVGQ (I think)
Jayco 31BHS
Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What kind of a tow vehicle do you have?

Take a look at Forest River (salem)31QVSS or the Dutchman 29QVGQ (I think) Jayco 31BHS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truck is 4wd PSD crewcab, full guages. Will need to get brake controller (Prodigy or Jordan likely) and WD hitch.
The Forrest River and Dutchman are not sold in my local area, and in event of recall/warranty needs I prefer having leverage on a local dealer if possible.
The J-31BHS is a nice contender. I am a little concerned about its length based on where and how it must be parked at the house. My rural street is narrow and allows little manuvering room. Will need to back about 200' down strret before cutting into yard, going between boulders and trees. For parking here, a 5'er would be better choice, but need my fiberglass shell on truck to protect tools. I also fight low utility lines.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is that truck an F250 or 350? Either way it should be able to handle any one of the units in the size you are looking at. BTW have you gone to Tom Johnsons Camping Center? They are only a few miles from Denver and they have Forest River as well as Dutchman RVs (a Thor Ind product). I understand about trying to buy local in case there are problems etc. After buying a midwest built rig I also looked for a unit that was also built close to home. Fleetwood, Thor, and Forest River have plants all over the country so geting factory support would be better. I almost bought a new Komfort (made in Portland OR) but went with an Arctic Fox (LaGrande OR) due to a better floorplan.