Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Common Weights?

Has anyone seen a "cheat sheet" or spreadsheet of common approx weights of things the normally family carries in their trailers.

While putting my trailer on a diet it be nice to get a rough estimate of items.
It would make it a easy way to load the hitch with the 10 - 15% and distribute weight, before going to the scales.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

I think there is enough variation in individual item weights that using approximates could result in an aggregate number that is not so accurate.

We had to be more careful on overall loading and balance with our last trailer so I actually weight big stuff like bikes, rack, etc. on a bathroom scale and all the rest was weighed in bins related to where in the camper they would be stored.

Then it was off to the CAT scales because that's the only way to know for sure.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

It does vary a lot. But after weighing a bunch of different things I found that the stuff that is taken in the fridge to weigh lots.

The next thing was the whole pile of wood for levelling the trailer. Do yourself a big favour and invest in lynx levellers block this cut the weight by over half the weight of wood. I found two bags works well for our 20ft single axel trailer and also get the lynx caps.

Another thing we use paper plates but have 2 nice plastic plates and 2 plastic bowls. And the big red plastic cups and 2 good glass Coffey mugs. Plastic utensils from Costco and 2 good steak knives. I see no point in spending a bunch of time washing dishes.

We do not carry bikes or have kids just our dog. But I found clothes and towels and other item did not add up to very much in our case.

And the big thing I do is go through the trailer and just remove things that don't need to be in there. Sometimes things build up.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply on this issue.

We have a 28ft Bunk house trailer which has bunks/bath in rear. Queen bed in the front with a large "coffin" storage under the bed. The Kitchen is
over the dual axles on the trailer.

So we been storing the rubber made containers (four) full of trailer sewer hoses, gloves, power cord, etc that fill about 40% of the coffin. The rest is a few tarps, shovel, walking sticks and misc box tools of ropes, locks etc. IN the queen bed area we have limited clothes and some fishing rods. Which I don't feel meets the 10% - 15% (620 - 950#) of weight on the hitch. Which from what I read can cause sway issues if you don't have the 10-15% of weight on the hitch.

In the kitchen is where the diet for the trailer needs to be address the most. We do you paper and disposable goods in the kitchen. I think we have way to much kitchen junk that has end up in the camping/trailer over the years. As we got new in the house it was downgraded to the trailer. The storage of food is stored in the kitchen cabinets which is just rear of the back axle. I know the weight of can goods is adding a lot of weight. Plus we have 4 adult bikes over the eat area which is on the axles.

Then in the floor of the bunkhouse I know we have several things that can
be removed or moved to the hitch. Such as a large HEAVY unbrealla, going be left at home with the stand. In addition small fans, clean supplies, small ladder, step stools, trashcans, bocce balls, often firewood.

My fear is the rear weight "counter balances" or over weights the goods on the front. I know some adjustments need to be made by weighing each items and then goto the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
It does vary a lot. But after weighing a bunch of different things I found that the stuff that is taken in the fridge to weigh lots.

The next thing was the whole pile of wood for levelling the trailer. Do yourself a big favour and invest in lynx levellers block this cut the weight by over half the weight of wood. I found two bags works well for our 20ft single axel trailer and also get the lynx caps.

Another thing we use paper plates but have 2 nice plastic plates and 2 plastic bowls. And the big red plastic cups and 2 good glass Coffey mugs. Plastic utensils from Costco and 2 good steak knives. I see no point in spending a bunch of time washing dishes.

We do not carry bikes or have kids just our dog. But I found clothes and towels and other item did not add up to very much in our case.

And the big thing I do is go through the trailer and just remove things that don't need to be in there. Sometimes things build up.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
Has anyone seen a "cheat sheet" or spreadsheet of common approx weights of things the normally family carries in their trailers.

While putting my trailer on a diet it be nice to get a rough estimate of items.
It would make it a easy way to load the hitch with the 10 - 15% and distribute weight, before going to the scales.
Though having nothing useful to add to it, I did follow your earlier thread re. towing difficulties you were having with a 2011 Ford Expedition. Link to thread.

If we're still talking about the same tow vehicle:

It seemed clear to me in the other thread that the trailer in your profile is a little too big for the tow vehicle; and it's unlikely that reducing kitchenware etc. is going to produce enough capacity to overcome that limiter.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

I see what you are trying to do. Also just read up on your last post regarding a bit of sway issue.

As far as getting more toung weight with the tralier and truck all hooked up you may be best if the tralier is riding slightly nose down and the truck riding close to stock. This will give you some more tongue weight. And you may need to get the wd hitch checked and maybe readjusted if needed. Not sure what it looks like.

As far as sway maybey time to add a friction sway controll or get a better WD set up.

I myself just set the cruise to 60mph and I am very happy at these speeds. Seeings how from my understanding 60 to 65 mph is max for tralier tires. And I am in no rush to get anyplace. That's why I am towing a home behind me.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

I've got a 2013 Expedition towing a 7,500lb trailer fully loaded. My WDH is from Equalizer. I've had no issues with sway. Last season was our first with this combo, but we made 6 trips with the longest being a 2,000 mile trip from Michigan to Maine and back. Experienced a lot of different conditions: long hill climbs and decents, rain, wind, passing trucks, etc. with no white knuckle moments. I hope that helps.

Tags
weight