RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
Had to order it, but in a few weeks I'll have a tow-ready V6 Dodge Durango. Next step checking out a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17.
That’s the same Pentastar V6 that’s in my Grand Cherokee. Solid engine, and it will tow that trailer effortlessly, IMO. Same size fuel tank at 24.6 gal, and same estimated mileage, which makes for long distances between fuel stops.

I also like the radio/nav system in my GC, and it looks like the Durango has the same system.

KanzKran is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #72

I'm excited. Haven't smelled that new car smell in a very long time. Wish I could have found what I wanted on a lot, but I guess roof rails and a full towing system are a weird combination. There isn't one despite searching far and wide. 2018s tow package didn't have the integrated brake controller, 2019 does. I'm pleased, just have to wait now.

DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
Congratulations! Enjoy your new Durango.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #74

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I would take the Jeep GC any day over a 4 runner, especially when it comes to towing.
Been buying Toyota’s for years, and the last two (2011 and 2015) were not what I would call reliable.
The Tacoma has dropped significantly in the last few years when it comes to reliability ratings.
Our 2017 Ram 1500 after 25k trouble free miles beats both of my last two Toyota’s.
I know this is only one example, but like I said been buying Toyota’s for 30 years, and no doubt they have dropped in quality, while others have stepped up.
Me also, sad to say.
Drove a dodge Durango 400,000 miles passed around the family with a 318.
Normal good service. Recommended timing chain at 200,000.
Never a part replaced.
Except 1 brake line.
The newer Durango s are awsome many say.

You want a heavy enough vehicle that the trailer wont drive you into the ditch meeting a semi truck
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #75

Mid size suv

I am currently towing a 4000lb boat and trailer with the new 2019 ascent. I’m very pleased with the performance and toewing capabilities. Max weight is 5000lb. Subaru’s are usually highly reliable and go for 250,000 or more miles.
mytidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #76

Quote:
I'm excited. Haven't smelled that new car smell in a very long time. Wish I could have found what I wanted on a lot, but I guess roof rails and a full towing system are a weird combination. There isn't one despite searching far and wide. 2018s tow package didn't have the integrated brake controller, 2019 does. I'm pleased, just have to wait now.

I just wondered if you got your new TV and TT combo and how you like it. I just read through this whole thread while looking for ideas for a couple's retirement type setup. I appreciate all the input!
cassb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #77

I did! Bought a new Dodge Durango, so it would have both tow package and roof rack. Couldn't find that on the lots, so had to order. And bought a. 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 foot. It's perfect for just me. Lots of couples in Casitas on Casitaforum.com, but it would have been very small for my husband, I think.
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #78

Audi Q7 tows more than most in mid sized suv category

Click image for larger version

Name:	4EB476A5-8230-40E4-BF27-872168E657BB.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	252258

Have a Q7 myself with self leveling suspension. 7500 towing capacity on a 5k lb trailer works very well.
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #79

Quote:
I did! Bought a new Dodge Durango, so it would have both tow package and roof rack. Couldn't find that on the lots, so had to order. And bought a. 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 foot. It's perfect for just me. Lots of couples in Casitas on Casitaforum.com, but it would have been very small for my husband, I think.

Very nice! I am thinking of a Grand Designs Imagine 2150RB. Looks like a good use of space, and no useless dinette! :-) Now I need to find an inexpensive SUV that can pull it - Nissan Armada?
Old 07-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Q7 looks very car-like. Even though it may be capable enough, I'd have a hard time trusting it. It doesn't look as if there's enough mass to keep a big trailer under control. Just me I guess. We're on our 2nd Expedition...also has mechanical load leveling.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #81

Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
The Q7 looks very car-like. Even though it may be capable enough, I'd have a hard time trusting it. It doesn't look as if there's enough mass to keep a big trailer under control. Just me I guess. We're on our 2nd Expedition...also has mechanical load leveling.

I agree there are easy concerns w mid size suv’s. This tows the most in its class, the supercharged german engine surprised me with zero struggleto tow at all. As for towing w a q7 as equipped, it weighs as much as a half ton chevy pickup which also surprised me! When you add in the 21” wheel package has wide Corvette like tires and Computer assisted four wheel steering this car does the job very well. Is it overpriced a little sure......do 21” 285/40 tires have a mileage warranty ...no

Such a joy to drive and transmission is impressive
Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precab View Post
Attachment 252258

Have a Q7 myself with self leveling suspension. 7500 towing capacity on a 5k lb trailer works very well.

What is the model and year of your trailer you are towing with the Q7? I'd like to compare with the 2017 Imagine 2150RB that we bought yesterday and see if it's a possibility. I am wary of European vehicles though, only because of the higher cost of maintenance. And I do most maintenance work myself.

Update: It looks like the Q7 can only tow max 6600 lbs, so that's not going to be enough with a GVWR of 6700. :(
Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #83

Q7 tows 7700lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
What is the model and year of your trailer you are towing with the Q7? I'd like to compare with the 2017 Imagine 2150RB that we bought yesterday and see if it's a possibility. I am wary of European vehicles though, only because of the higher cost of maintenance. And I do most maintenance work myself.

Update: It looks like the Q7 can only tow max 6600 lbs, so that's not going to be enough with a GVWR of 6700. :(
It is a 2017 and you have to order with the factory tow package to have 7700 lbs towing and the 3.0 engine. I’d also only do this with the air suspension option. I use the 70% rule from my trailer weight versus my towing capacity. With a 5000 pound trailer I’m in a perfect set up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rap-up-review/

See below section:

To unlock that 7700-pound maximum towing number, one must order the $550 Towing package and a $125 seven-pin connector for trailer wiring, which we of course did. With 1200 pounds more tugging ability than the body-on-frame, eight-cylinder Lexus GX460, our Q7 predictably found itself pulling a load often. Senior online editor Kevin Wilson used the Q7 to pull a 3000-pound travel trailer on a 15-day road trip around Michigan’s remote Upper Peninsula. The Q7 was later called upon to tow an Airstream Nest across the state for another camping excursion, while other staffers used the Audi to haul their roll-caged cars to racetracks for lapping sessions. In every situation, the Audi pulled the trailers with ease.

Tags
tow, towing