Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
+1 Holes in cinderblocks are supposed to be vertical for strength! I'm in the home construction business and I'd fire someone for even stacking them wrong!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Dumping suggestion: do a test to see how long it takes for your holding tank to fill up. Three weeks? Mine can fill up in 3 days if I use a lot of water! Tanks are all different sizes. I always keep the black water tank valve closed and the grey water tank valve open. After many, many years of dealing with holding tanks I can usually hear when the black tank is getting full. I usually empty it every 3 days. I have a "flusher" on my black tank and sometimes clean it out about every other time I dump. I also flush it out every time I leave a campground so there is nothing sitting in it for days/weeks at a time (I am not a full-timer).
You will learn how to deal with everything. It DOES get easier. Good luck to you and remember there are people here to help you.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #17

When I had my 5er, I took long, hot showers and with dish and hand washing, could fill up the grey in a couple of days. It had 118/40/40 fresh/black/grey and the black never got close to filling up; even on an 10 day extended weekend.

I got tired of standing in water while taking a shower and solved the problem by plumbing a spare water pump from the tank side of the grey dump valve to the black tank. I used some spare compressor hose and a wind-up electric timer and would set it for 5 or so minutes. When I sold the 5er, it came with me and is installed in my MH. If it wasn't for the orange hose, you would swear it was a factory install.

If I was to stack cinder blocks in a single thickness stack for storage, I would do it so the wind could blow through the holes and not blow the stack over.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #18

Trust me, she blamed me. I think I had it coming though, I probably should have seen the potential for danger there, although my sisters tell me differently, but they tend to think I can do no wrong. One lives in Burnet, the other in Conroe and both their reactions could have been recorded messages ...

"Well, now, honey, there's no way you could have predicted, blah blah blah ..."

It's been a fairly uneventful 48 hours, no support collapses, no evil smells. Last night I rushed to my son's side, he lives about ten miles from me ...

"Mom, I'm throwin' up and ... other stuff." He's ticklish about talking about body functions, except for throwing up as he feels it is an unfair attack and will tell anybody about that.

Took him some Pepto, soda crackers and Gatorade. He was sprawled across the bed, all 6 foot, 220 pounds of him, whining. Aside from the supplies all I had to do was tell him, it'll pass, honey. Anyway, came home and opened the freezer to get some ice cubes and found little trays of water. The danged thing went out. It's a month old, used, but had a 30-day warranty. Yesterday was the 31st day. I hope those used appliance people know better than to try and tell me the warranty is up. There will be a scene.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #19

Are you guys trying to tell me that I should stack them like the number 8? If that is the case I would be concerned that they would be wobbly. It would be like putting an elephant on stilts. That will work?

Thank you Barbara, I plan to start such a routine this weekend.

I also plan to try and improve the supports, all this after the refirgetrator situation is taken care of.

I know you people must think I'm a card-carrying nut, I'm really not, I just tend to throw myself into things head first and hope it somehow works out. I expect a lot of hand smacks, but I'm pretty well so used to that and I also know I am hard-headed and will eventually work out all the bugs.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #20

Soon as Sole comes up, I'm gonna check my steps for nail eating holes.

Yes, you stack them like an 8, a lazy 8 with the holes down/up. With the holes horizontal, you have three vertical columns. With the holes vertical, you have the equivalent of 6.

Some people and Mods/Admins don't like to hear about bodily functions like throwing up and the squirts. I like to refer to which end it is coming out of. But lately, it's been both.

You're not a card-carrying nut. Like alcoholics, they have to go to meetings. Drunks don't. You're just a nut.

When you go to warranty the fridge, wait outside till you think the most people are inside the store, then go make a scene; A loud scene!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #21

I think I like you Dun (smile)

Video coming soon.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #22

home 0001 - YouTube
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Seejay- have faith- your black water system will work fine with no further major expenditures or remodeling. Thousands upon thousands of trailers just like yours are in use every day and the black water systems work flawlessly.

Don't obscess about your sensors or if your tank gets too full- you'll know when that happens because the toilet will "burp" at you. It won't overflow or shoot straight up- just a little burp, and time to dump.

You probably want to spray some silicon lubricant, or some WD40 on the shaft of the T-handle of the dump valve, and work it back and forth to loosen it up. Do this frequently and it will get much easier (although the positioning can be awkward).

If you want to invest $30, go down to WalMart to the RV section (near auto parts) and buy a new RhinoFlex sewer hose. This will come with a 90 degree tip that the hose "locks" into that will screw securely into your sewer pipe connection. No popping loose unexpectedly when you dump.

While you're at WalMart, pick up a box or bottle of Calgon Water Softener in the laundry section. Go home, close the black dump valve and pour the Calgon down the toilet. Using a water hose, fill the black tank through the toilet opening until full i.e. you can see water is standing in the pipe just under the toilet when the foot valve is open.(don't wander off while filling the tank- you can flood the place this way).

Leave the filled-with-water-and-Calgon black tank as long as you can before dumping; the object here is to loosen and soften the dreaded "brown pyramid" you have no doubt developed just under the toilet.

When you're ready, pull your newly lubricated T-handle and your black tank will do a big WHOOSH down your new RhinoFlex sewer hose and most of your souvenirs should depart. You can repeat this as often as necessary.

Regarding leveling your trailer. Are you using an RV refrigerator? RV fridges are gas absorption types, different from a household fridge and REQUIRE a reasonably level base. You can ruin one fairly quickly operating it off level. if your fridge has been replaced with a regular household-style fridge, not an issue.

Flip those cinder blocks so the holes face UP and put a 2x8 on top for your stabilizers- they shouldn't crumble then (but they are not particularly strong, you're right).

Remember that when you leave those dump valves OPEN you have a straight line to the trailer park sewer system. Any drains need a P-trap and the P-trap needs to be filled with water. Sewer gasses are unhealthy as well as stinky.

Is there anybody in the park that's friendly? Another solo lady, perhaps? RVers usually (often, mostly, sometimes) are delighted to help a newbie.

Beers help

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejay View Post
I think I like you Dun (smile)
You'll get over it.

Don't let Senior Chief confuse you. You can flip those bricks so the holes are facing down.

And more beer!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #25

I sense an on-going rib poking session here ^ ^ ^

Chief - LOTS of good info there. I like the Calgon part ... a lot. It's on my TD list. As is the better coupler. That would sure make life a lot less stressful.

I have a (now working again) small apartment type fridge. It's 24" wide and 59" tall and fits like it was made for the trailer under the cabinet beside the vent hood. It is no longer a refrigatrator. Turns out I had a 90 day warranty, but all that was needed was a quick adjustment to some thingie in the back with a flat head screw driver. It's happily making ice again, and soon I will have frozen pickle pops at my disposal once more.

Sorry but I think I might have to side with Dun on the cinder blocks and put the holes down. Just makes more sense.

Beer ... chillin'.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post

Flip those cinder blocks so the holes face UP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You'll get over it.

Don't let Senior Chief confuse you. You can flip those bricks so the holes are facing down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seejay View Post
Sorry but I think I might have to side with Dun on the cinder blocks and put the holes down. Just makes more sense.

He's mad, you know.
Dunner, that is.
Mad as a hatter!

The Chief is correct- that's why we call him "The Chief".
Also he knows up from down, believe you me.

Francesca
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #27

Okay, I'll put the front half up and the back half down.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

He's mad, you know.
Dunner, that is.
Mad as a hatter!

The Chief is correct- that's why we call him "The Chief".
Also he knows up from down, believe you me.

Francesca
It keeps me from going insane.

Not going to ask how you know he knows up from down.