Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Seejay, first of all let me welcome you to iRV2, as you have already found out. You are at the right place for rv knowledge. Hope your new home gives you & your dog happiness & confort. Any questions you may think of just write a post & you will get several answers that you can decide which ones work for you.

This is how I service my holding tanks. I will start from the very basic beginning which no one here has told you yet as far as I have read.
1) this assuming the tank has been dumped. I will get to a full tank later.
2) from an empty black water tank, I close the valve outside for dump.
3) I push the flush floor button & I use the spray hose, spraying water in to the toilet for 2 minutes.
4) I dump that water from the holding tank at the outside valve into the sewer. I have the newer stronger flex hose. I have had the thinner hose coupling come apart on me & my wife also. Thats all it took to go spend the extra money for the heavy duty flex hose & 90' adapter to the sewer. But even with the HD hose , when I initially pull the valve open I start slow until I hear the waste water flow into the hose, then I pull the handle the rest of the way open for the SWOOSH.
5) I close the valve
6) I repeat the 2 minute black tank fill at the toilet.
7) I add a bag of freshener & black tank solvent. I buy this at Walmart, about 12 small bags in the box. You will get varied opinions on using this freshener/solvent. I have tried the method of not using anything & have not had success. Others have great success with just water. You can find this with a search & decide for yourself.
8) the black water tank is now approaching full & I begin to notice a faint smell in the rv. about 3-4 weeks for us.
9) I close the gray water valve the day before I plan on dumping the black water. take showers & use the sinks to allow some water to build in the gray water tank. This is used after I dump & flush the black water. It also will help flush out anything that has not free flowed out of the gray water holding tank.
10) after allowing some water to build in the gray tank, I open the black tank dump valve & I allow it to empty.
11) repeat steps 2 thru 5
12) Open the gray water dump valve at this time & allow the gray water to flush your sewer hose. Then leave this valve open to allow free flow of the waste gray water.
13) Repeat steps 6 thru 8. Then repeat these 13 steps again in a few weeks.

About every 3rd month I will use the toilet wand attached to the garden hose in the black tank.
This works for me. I am sure you will find what works for you.

Last year we spent Nov - Jan in Fort Worth. The temps did dip into the low 30's & high 20's over night. I went to Home Depot & got a silver insulation blanket that you wrap a hot water tank with & some of the tape that is used to seal it. I cut this insulation to fit into the dump valve bay & I never had a freeze up when in Texas. We then moved north to Baltimore MD. The temps there were extreme compared to Texas. I had the dump valve freeze there one day. I bought a drop light with a 60 watt bulb & hung it in the bay. We never had a problem after that with freezing. But what I did when we were frozen was to try pouring hot water into the toilet. We were making spegetti for dinner. When I strained the noodles I strained the hot water in to a pan & then dumped it into the toilet. After dinner & still freezing temps outside, the dump valve opened easily.

A sggestion for your hot water tank, if the temps are going to freeze leave the hot water heater turned on, the tank won't freeze with hot water in it. Also open the cabinet where the tank is, it will allow some heat into the rv. & alow the pipes to stay at room temp.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #30

With the holes down, it confuses any critters. Instead of going up into your trailer, they think they are supposed to go down.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
With the holes down, it confuses any critters. Instead of going up into your trailer, they think they are supposed to go down.
Hmmmm....

Yes.... Strangely, I see your point...

Hello? Senior Chief?

How would you respond and presumably Completely Obliterate the Provably Mad Dunner's Flawed Reasoning?

Francesca

P.S.
"Because I said so and I'm The Chief!" works for me, Chief

F.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #32

Sure, go ahead and prove me wrong. Stack some cinder blocks with the hole up and some with the holes down and like watching paint dry or grass grow, see which way the bugs go in the up blocks and the down blocks. Pics needed to prove me wrong.

MD
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
There, there...
Now you've excited yourself

Look on the Bright Side!
The Chief might change his mind and agree with you!

Let's just think Happy Thoughts 'til we hear from him, O.K.?

Meanwhile, a slug of M.D. 20/20 couldn't hurt

Your Friend,
Francesca
Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #34

Slug????
Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Slug????
Shot. Snifter. Dram. Snort. Short One/Tall one.
"A bit o' what does you good". ..."A bit o' what does you IN ".

Francesca
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #36

I meant only a slug? How bout the whole bottle + .
Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I meant only a slug? How bout the whole bottle + .
Well-
Sure!
But only if you drink it straight, and while the bottle's still wrapped in the brown paper bag

Francesca

P.S.

And don't strike a match or anything....
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #38

Been since the mid 70s since I had some MD 20-20.

We used to judge distance by the amount of adult beverages it took to get there.
Phoenix to Flagstaff was about 4 beers or a bottle of Ripple Pagan Pink. :True story:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
O-o-o-o-kay.
TIME OUT!

One of us owes an apology to The Original Poster for this temporary Digression From The Point of The Thread....

But ... who is to blame...wait a minute...there's a man in the conversation....

Apologize at once, Mister Dunner!

Francesca The Blameless
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #40

Any further discussion of said argument, starts a new argument.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hmmmm....

Yes.... Strangely, I see your point...

Hello? Senior Chief?

How would you respond and presumably Completely Obliterate the Provably Mad Dunner's Flawed Reasoning?

Francesca

P.S.
"Because I said so and I'm The Chief!" works for me, Chief

F.
I'm titling this dissertation

In Re: Cinder Block Hole Orientation Relative to the Earth's Gravitational Forces In Stationary Recreational Vehicle Applications

Do you want the trailer to stay UP

or do you want the trailer to fall DOWN

Sorry, Dunner, you can't argue with Science.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #42

Instead of using cinder blocks, I'm going to use 2 X 4 X 8 concrete pads and put this up down business to rest once and for all.

Dan, thank you for all the details in your post. I'm sure I have already made some mistakes, such as starting out with a dry tank instead of "seasoning" it first by filling and flushing it, although I think I did use the toilet fairly often before I moved in to pour cleaning water down.

The thermal blanket is a great idea, as is the light!