Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #1

Hi
The next Fiftwheel rig we get will be custom built. In this unit I plan on putting a composting toilet. Saves having to find a place to dump your black water plus it gives you extra gray water storage for things like boondocking. But I would like to know from some one who has had experience with composting toilets, what is the overhead I'm not thinking about? My only experince with composting toilets (Alaska - 1963) tells me, we have to carry around a bail of hay and throw couple hands full in every time we use it because there is not enough fiber in human waste to make the work properly.
We are looking at the Sun-Mar (Canada) model Excel Ne. They are about $1300. Do you know of any other brands?
Lee & Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #2

Hi
The next Fiftwheel rig we get will be custom built. In this unit I plan on putting a composting toilet. Saves having to find a place to dump your black water plus it gives you extra gray water storage for things like boondocking. But I would like to know from some one who has had experience with composting toilets, what is the overhead I'm not thinking about? My only experince with composting toilets (Alaska - 1963) tells me, we have to carry around a bail of hay and throw couple hands full in every time we use it because there is not enough fiber in human waste to make the work properly.
We are looking at the Sun-Mar (Canada) model Excel Ne. They are about $1300. Do you know of any other brands?
Lee & Linda

Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's great to learn something new everyday.
I have to say that I have never ever heard of a composting toilet.
I now have a quest to find out more info.

Chet
Quest completed.
I found http://www.biolet.com and http://www.envirolet.com and the prices are comparable to the Sun-Mar unit.
It is an interesting concept. And the end result is kinda like a human litter box.
It is a fairly complex unit and probably not compatable with an RV that travels a lot. If boondocking it would be a lifesaver! And probably well worth the investment.
Chet
Old 05-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #4

Hello Sandyboris

I have the Sun-Mar Excel Ne unit you are looking at up north. We use it as an outhouse.

We just cleaned it out on the weekend and it is ready for the summer. After a person uses the toilet they just put a cup of peat moss in and at the end of the day just rotate the drum 5 to 6 times.

You will need to set aside a 4 ft. by 5 ft. space (min) for the unit and to let a person use it.

Hope the information helps.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:57 AM   #5

Well Great!
I did not even think I would get any responses! But here is two.
Thanks CyberVet65, checked out the two other sites and they seem to be similar but size might be a problem with one. Your right though, moving around a lot will probley make it not work great but then we do spend more than two days in any one location and only travel 200 miles a day (we are fulltimers). In the winter we spend from two to seven months in one place so it would work then.
Meridian thanks for your insight into the Sun-Mar operations. I never thought of peat moss. Was thinking oatmeal maybe but then my biggest concern was room to open the drawer for cleaning. But then if we custom build the unit, we will just make room.
Thanks again to both.
Lee
Old 05-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #6

.....I can't even think of any reason to compost in a RV....did I miss something here?....I have an Incinolet Electric Toilet.....I wouldn't trade it for anything...no smell-no blackwater holding tanks to empty-no water-just a small puff of steam.....there is nothing easier on the face of the earth except behind someone elses barn.....geofkaye
Old 05-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #7

Hi Kayerivercity

We do boondock some and while boondocking the less power and water you have to use the better. With a composting toilet you use no water and no power, if you get the one with out a fan or heater.
If I rember right the Incinolet Electric Toilet from 1500 to 1800 watts of power, every time you use it. Now when your hooked up to 120 AC that is not much of a problem but when boondocking every watt counts.
Hope that helps.
Lee
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

How is the smell outside if it vents out in the roof does it smell bad when a wind sends the air down towards another rv next to you?