Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #57

The bottom line is that to most people the bottom line is all that matters. You get what you pay for. You think Airstream will ever have the volume of other makes. No they won't, because the cost is much higher and those that appreciate quality will pay it but those looking for something for nothing will not. Most are like my brother - show me the glitz I don't need quality.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maybe someone could sell TT's in a kit form with different levels of quality materials. Then you would know exactly where everything is and how to fix it.

Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Maybe someone could sell TT's in a kit form with different levels of quality materials. Then you would know exactly where everything is and how to fix it.
Now that's a great idea! Actually, I bet someone has already tried that at one time or another in the last 75 years.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If nobody buys them to protest then what would we all do? Stay in crappy hotels with unclean sheets? Listen to our neighbors tv in the next room. If you're lucky enough to stay in a hotel with a patio then you can go outside to sit. And while you're there you can listen to some idiot 5' away from you argue with his kids or wife. Sounds like loads of fun.

I'll take my chances on an RV.
I had one of the longer TT in the 90s. I had it about 10 years and in that time I saw just How cheaply it was built. So what I did was to build my own. In 2010 I bought my RV chassis Base and 8 months later drove it one its first trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
A Kit it not what is really needed. all the materials and parts are out there.
one just has to do what i did and buy some pieces and stick them together.
When I saw that F-700 Cab and Chassis on that used car lot I returned with a tape measure to take down the frame length axle to cab dimensions, then I went to a U-Haul lot and measured their trucks boxes.
when the 2 were bolted together this is what it looked like
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #61
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The bottom line is that to most people the bottom line is all that matters. You get what you pay for. You think Airstream will ever have the volume of other makes. No they won't, because the cost is much higher and those that appreciate quality will pay it but those looking for something for nothing will not. Most are like my brother - show me the glitz I don't need quality.
While Airstream may never have volume of low cost assemblers they currently have a three month backlog so obviously there is a strong market for a quality RV.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OutdoorsRV also has a backlog of orders but not sure of the length. While Airstream looks cool, I would rather camp in my Wind River at way under 1/2 the cost. Met a guy with a nice Airstream Bambi 19 ft, no slide of coarse, said he paid >40K. I don't care if it lasts 50 years, no thanks.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had 9 RV's over the past 30 years. The best built out of all of them was a Nash 22H built by Northwood... That is similar to the Arctic Fox.

The only thing we disliked about the 22H was the bed. It wasn't a walk around and that is a bit of a problem.

If Northwood built class A motor homes I'd buy it.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #64

Good subject
I bought a new TT in 96 from a small new company in California. It was a total disaster because of how it was put together. I bought another new one in 06 and decided to find one built by an old company. I ended up with one built by skyline. Only $18500 and a fantastic trailer. Mostly the same materials but the difference was the build.
I also think the longer you build a particular model, the better you get at it.
Our Honda ATVs were always the best in quality, longevity, and reliability.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #65

cheap, lite, spaciious, and quality don't match, pick two and hope for the best

Sorry but price point expected is the problem....I paid ra right penny for two fridge freezers last Feb (engels) with a total capacity of just 100 liters (100 quarts) many members of several RV forums blew mad amounts of smoke at me for the cost. the units are 12 volts and quality shines throughout them (it damn well should for the size and cost) but guess what, they work 24-7 no excuses even now in -3 centigrade weather they work fine. no excuses no switches to flip for lower than expected weather and they both worked the first time out of the box. mind you 100 quarts is not a lot, one I use as a freezer and one s a fridge but it is still only 100 quarts. the differeance I do nto worrry if they will work or not, they do. Now expand that to a trailer. if you want a 25 foot trailer to work as advertised (without slides) anything less that about 30 grand is pissing in the wind, you will need to fix it, you will need to modify it, and you will hate it becasue its too small. but eventually with about 30 grand of investment (TOTAL) it will work as you want it to. sorry, but cheap, lite, spaciious, and quality build are not going to go together on a TT, pick two of them and expect a lot of cash to bring it close to one of the third. the forth is just a pipe dream.

I think that many will disagree at first, and come to realise that its the truth afterwords.

ken
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #66

Jayco Owners Club
So, you are in the Ft Worth area... did you go to the RV show last weekend? I saw a Reflection trailer there that looked really good. I'm considering looking further. It was the best looking (quality wise) trailer I saw. I believe McClain's sells them. I'll probably look next time I go that direction. Grand Design is a Thor company, and I have no personal experience with them. I have owned a Shadow Cruiser and my current Forest River trailer. The one I looked at seemed head-and-shoulders above what I have.

Might be a better solution that going all the way to Utah for an Outdoors trailer...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #67

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just looked at their suite. They lost me when they said the 8K+ dry weight TT at 34 feet is 1/2 ton towable.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So, you are in the Ft Worth area... did you go to the RV show last weekend? I saw a Reflection trailer there that looked really good. I'm considering looking further. It was the best looking (quality wise) trailer I saw. I believe McClain's sells them. I'll probably look next time I go that direction. Grand Design is a Thor company, and I have no personal experience with them. I have owned a Shadow Cruiser and my current Forest River trailer. The one I looked at seemed head-and-shoulders above what I have.

Might be a better solution that going all the way to Utah for an Outdoors trailer...
We live in North Fort Worth and went to the RV show.

Fort Worth RV Show - 1/8/15

The trailer that caught our eye was an Open Range, but it is a bit heavy for our tow vehicle and a bit heavy for our wallet. To be honest, I can't remember the Reflection trailer. We left the show a bit dazed by all the choices. I'll have to review all the literature I brought back from the show, which is just about a small library!

Edit Footnote - The Reflection was indeed a fine looking trailer, but much heavier than we can tow, which is why we didn't spend much time with it.

And so it goes.

Tags
honda