Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Conclusion - Ain't No TT Made Like a Honda

I've completed about as good a search as these old eyes and fingers can take of many TT companies. We've visited a good many TT dealerships in the process. I've read where others have searched for a year or more for their "perfect" TT. At the end of day, it seems to me that there "ain't no TT made like a Honda."

I appreciate those on this forum who have said all TT's are going to have problems and all need regular maintenance and attention to seams, seals, and so forth to prevent water related issues. I now realize there isn't a perfect trailer no matter how long I search, read, and travel to area RV dealers.

We still have a short list of TT's made in the Northwest that we hope to see. I'm expecting the interiors to be about the same quality as I've seen in many TT's in the Dallas Fort Worth area. However, I'm hopeful that the "bones" of those TT's on my short list are at least solid. I still wish Honda made a travel trailer.

And so it goes.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #2

what

To be made like a Honda a travel trailer would have to reduced in size, be made entirely out of plastic, living in one would be like sleeping in a giant plastic bathtub, have jellybean styling, bodywork needed if you look at it crosswise, and be overpriced with parts that cost an arm and a leg.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, these are not made like a Honda. The fit and finish on even the best is not where it should or could be. That goes for big buck motorhomes as well as TT's. It's not really the products they use so much as it's the way they are constructed. If you are looking for anything even close to perfection you are probably going to be let down. If you are not handy with fixing things you are going to have problems. Remember that these TT's are just big boxes going down the road. Find one with a good frame and outside construction, those things are hard to fix. That is one of the reasons I have an OutdoorsRV unit. The frame is solid and the outside walls are tops in the industry. Inspect those things the most. Everything else can be replaced, fixed, rebuilt, and probably made better than factory new. For the price you really shouldn't have to do anything to a new unit, but we all know different. So, what ones have you looked at and crossed off the list? Don't give up, perhaps a mint used one that you can make perfect with the money saved buying used. Sometimes I think I should have gone that way. At least you are taking your time so you will know a good one when you see it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Yes, these are not made like a Honda. The fit and finish on even the best is not where it should or could be. That goes for big buck motorhomes as well as TT's. It's not really the products they use so much as it's the way they are constructed. If you are looking for anything even close to perfection you are probably going to be let down. If you are not handy with fixing things you are going to have problems. Remember that these TT's are just big boxes going down the road. Find one with a good frame and outside construction, those things are hard to fix. That is one of the reasons I have an OutdoorsRV unit. The frame is solid and the outside walls are tops in the industry. Inspect those things the most. Everything else can be replaced, fixed, rebuilt, and probably made better than factory new.
You said it much better than I could and precisely how we feel. The Outdoors Creekside 22RB and the Arctic Fox 22H are tops on our list. In addition, we'd sure like to see a 2010-2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 26FBS. My DW thinks it has the prefect floorplan for us. As you know, Sunnybrook sure has/had a strong following and an interesting history.

At any rate, thank you Highway 4X4.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

Quality costs $, what about Airstream?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen a good number of Honda's on the side of the road or in repair shops too... Anything made by man can fail.

The problem with RV's is that they are composit structures.. one part is vehicle, That is the chassis, engine, drive train and so on on a motor home or the frame and axles and related hardware on a trailer,, usually these are fairly reliable (At lest come close to most cars in reliability, if not better than some).

The other part is HOUSE.. And this is where you get leaks, loose screws and such.. Houses are very simply not designed for bouncing down the highway at faster than the posted limit like so many people drive.

But even in cars, Screws work loose,, Seals do not, and so on.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Quality costs $, what about Airstream?
I must admit that we have sat in an Airstream 25FB more than once in recent months. My DW really ... I mean REALLY likes that trailer. But we both know that our bank account couldn't take that kind of hit. Unless of course, I could go back in time and buy 10,000 shares of Yahoo at 69 cents a share and then sale it at $108 a share! Dang, why didn't I think of that. LOL
Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #8

I'm sorry but RV's are not built like a house. They should be built to withstand traveling down the road. My experience is that in general, RV quality is poor. If you are not handy with tools, they will get very expensive.

Regarding the comments on Hondas. They are well made and reliable. You see no more of them on the side of the road than any other vehicle. All cars have lots of plastic. If the Japanese started building RV's, maybe we'd see better quality, just as happened in the car industry.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are squeamish or cry easily I wouldn't open the underbelly or ceiling of your travel trailer. They are mostly a patchwork of substandard workmanship. Wiring is generally nowhere near what code would allow in a house, many splices of shorter wires to make one long wire, wires not fastened to clamps...just strewn about with no rhyme or reason, faulty connections which can lead to arcing... I could go on and on. Basically there is a reason most trailers don't cost 100k. Because they slap them together as quickly and cheaply as they can to keep the costs down.

I plan to rip out my underbelly and possibly ceiling to re-wire just about everything eventually. For now I'll live dangerously

My trailer is well built so far as trailers are concerned and from what I've learned my statements above are true across most brands.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
In addition, we'd sure like to see a 2010-2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 26FBS.
Winnebago has owned Sunnybrook since 2010 and the Winnebago towables are built in the same factory.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #11

The old saying, "you get what you pay for", is true with travel trailers also. Airstream's are expensive because of the quality build. Low end trailers are less expensive because of lower cost parts and shoddy construction. With a one year warranty you don't need to have high quality because just about anything will hold up for a year. Just expect repairs in the future.
It's up to each of us to decide what is important when we make our choice. The difference between a water heater with DSI and propane and electric is only marginally more than one with DSI and propane only or manual light and propane only. Manufacturers will cut features to save $5. Awnings can have cheap vinyl fabric or expensive Sunbrella type material. The point is that trailers are built to price points because most of us put to much emphasis on the price and not the long term reliability and functionality.
You sound like you know the brands to avoid and since I own a trailer from the company you will probably purchase from I will say that you are on the right track.
Good luck!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
In general most motorhomes are built more solid than TT. I had an Itasca 36G (Winnebago). It had a welded steel frame with a cage on the front end. It weighed 30,000 and would survive any crash a Honda minivan would survive. But, that structure comes at a cost. It got hit by lightening and I down sized in the process. My current unit is ultra light and has a full aluminum frame.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #13

Not to mention being killed by the air bag.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #14

Sorry, but the Japanese made "travel trailers" are enclosed trailers similar to toy haulers without the wiring and are total POS's at best. That is why the Japanese RV industry imports European models (Danish for the most part)

I typed about 5 paragraphs that went into detail about what is so wrong with what many people are thinking but to save feelings of others and to put it in a nutshell people are asking too much for too little cost and expecting it to last like a sticks and bricks while you scream down the road at 75~85 mph.

kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda