Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Condensation in TT

Living in a 26 TT. We are getting condensation everywhere. Windows, walls, ceilings. I have read some of the posts about condensation. Recommendations are damp-rid, or/and dehumidifier. The only power vent is in the shower in the rear of the coach. What is the best solution? TIA
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased a portable AC/Heater for our coach. When using it as an AC it also dehumidifies the air. It does have to be vented to the outside but it comes with a hose/tube so you can run it out the window.

Honeywell MM14CHCS Portable Air Conditioner, 14,000 BTU Cooling & Heating, LCD Display, Single Hose (Black-Silver), portable air conditioner, honeywell air conditioner | Honeywell Store

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a regular roof vent in the living area of the TT. If so open it up about 1" and leave it open all the time, you'll be surprised at how much this will help, it doesn't need to be a power vent.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Gotta leave a window open, gotta have some airflow form the outside. Also, do you have a stove hood fan? Use it when cooking if you haven't been. Do you have a leak in the plumbing or from outside that lets water in? If so, get that fixed before it gets way out of control. Do you have a humidity monitor in the trailer? That's a good way to see if what you're doing to reduce humidity is working. Do you use a catalytic/propane heater in the trailer? Those things can produce humidity as a by-product of combustion.

When I wake up in the morning, there is condensation on the windows, and the humidity can be as high as 90%. Even if it's cold out and 99% humidity outside, I open a window, turn on the heat/furnace, and open the roof vent.I'd rather a little on the cool side and dryer than warm and damp.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Living in a 26 TT. We are getting condensation everywhere. Windows, walls, ceilings. I have read some of the posts about condensation. Recommendations are damp-rid, or/and dehumidifier. The only power vent is in the shower in the rear of the coach. What is the best solution? TIA

If it were me, I would use a dehumidifier. Cooking, exhalation (breathing), showers, washing dishes, etc. ALL put moisture into the air. In the summertime, if you are using air conditioning, that will remove the moisture. In the winter, especially if the camper is buttoned up, the humidity will rapidly approach 100%.

As others have suggested, you CAN open a roof vent, or windows, but that will mean that you will be using propane, or electricity to heat the out of doors. A dehumidifier will remove the moisture, without removing the heat in the camper.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

We crack our vent open and leave the bath door open at night. We turn the heat way down at night like fifty five degrees, we have an electric blanket on the bed and a couple of extra blankets handy if needed. Have been doing this for about ten years with no big problems, other than the daily fight to see who's turn it is to get up and turn the heat up. The furnace quickly burns off most of the remaining humidity. Be sure to use vents while cooking or using the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #7

Condensation

Thank you all for the rapid responses. It helps alot.
Happy RVING.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have condensation in the colder months. I'm convinced the propane heat adds to the condensation but of course being closed up with breathing, showers, and cooking it adds to it. I'm going to buy a dehumidifier ($50) and an electric space heater with fan only option for dual use summer and colder months. Less propane used when I have electricity and less condensation from electric heat.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I'm convinced the propane heat adds to the condensation ...

... less condensation from electric heat.
If you're propane heat is made by a propane heater inside the trailer, than yes. If by the furnace, than no.

Electric heaters alone do not produce moisture. Warmer air holds more moisture.

70F is basically 21C
Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you're propane heat is made by a propane heater inside the trailer, than yes. If by the furnace, than no.

Electric heaters alone do not produce moisture. Warmer air holds more moisture.

70F is basically 21C
Yeah, it is the furnace. I know that the exhaust is what contains the moisture but when we don't use the heat we don't get much condensation at all. True that warm air holds moisture but it is amazing that it would be that different. Guess warm air in general is the issue from your reply. Glad I'm buying a dehumidifier as well
Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #11

Whatever the reason after using an electric heater it has cut way down on condensation. We also leave the two Fantastic vents slightly open, one above the bed and one in the bath. With two windows opened just a bit we don't have much of an issue. The electric heater more than makes up for the heat lost through the vents and windows and it doesn't cost us anything.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote