Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

Condensation / moisture around windows...?

Has anyone had experiences with water around their window when it's cold outside.

I'm pretty sure this would lead to corrosion with time. Is there a way to prevent this?Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_193624.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	271372Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_193710.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	271373
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Sorta normal if it's cold out side and you have the heat cranked up inside. I have dual pane windows on my current TT and don't get condensation like that.
Our last 5er did have that problem but never that bad.
Our TT before the 5th wheel got it about that bad.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Are you useing it or is it in storage? I use a small dehumidifier like the EVA-DRY EDV 1100 on Amazon it work great in my 27' T/T.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty normal, especially with single pane windows. The dew point of the air inside is higher than the surface of the window and frame. The moisture in the air will condense on the cooler surface.

You can the control, the moisture in the RV by taking a few steps.
. Leave a vent cracked open on the roof to l et the warm moist air escape.
. Always run the vent fan when cooking.
. when showering, open the vent in the shower about an inch. When you finish the shower, open the vent more and run the fan for a couple of minutes.

The human body exhales a lot on moisture with every breath.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

Yeah, I'm using it full time. I'll have to look into that. Does youe dehumidifier make a lot of noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
Are you useing it or is it in storage? I use a small dehumidifier like the EVA-DRY EDV 1100 on Amazon it work great in my 27' T/T.
Jay D.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Pretty normal, especially with single pane windows. The dew point of the air inside is higher than the surface of the window and frame. The moisture in the air will condense on the cooler surface.

You can the control, the moisture in the RV by taking a few steps.
. Leave a vent cracked open on the roof to l et the warm moist air escape.
. Always run the vent fan when cooking.
. when showering, open the vent in the shower about an inch. When you finish the shower, open the vent more and run the fan for a couple of minutes.

The human body exhales a lot on moisture with every breath.

Ken
Thanks Ken for your advice. I'll have to test opening the bathroom ceiling vent and windows to see if this helps. Hopefully it doesnt impact the inside temperature too much as a result.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
Yeah, I'm using it full time. I'll have to look into that. Does youe dehumidifier make a lot of noise?
Not much you can hear it run, though not near as much as the furnace or cook top fan. you defiantly need something to get the humidity down inside. its a tough process if your inside most of the time and its cold outside. warm moist air makes contact with the cold window or anything and it condenses the only way to stop it is get moisture out of the air.
Jay D.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see you are in Alabama where the humidity is pretty high already. That makes just using windows and vents less effective at removing the moisture created by breathing since the air is already fairly saturated. Get a pretty big dehumidifier that has a hose you can place in the sink or tub. The ones with tanks you empty will work but the tank will fill up faster than you think and either leak or stop working.

The amount of moisture from cooking and showering is massive so try to manage how you use vent fans for those activities. Pulling cushions away from walls will help them dry out and prevent moisture and rot.

And if you have moisture problems already I am thinking this adds another reason not to add a fish tank as you discussed in another thread
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

Yeah, Alabama is rather humid here. I'm considering buying a hydrometer to measure the humidity level on the inside & on the outside. Have you tested any of these?

Then, purchase a dehumidifier to see how much of a difference it makes.

Yeah, adding a fish tank would probably not help the humidity level... Also, I need to stop using this essential oil diffuser too. Probably not helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I see you are in Alabama where the humidity is pretty high already. That makes just using windows and vents less effective at removing the moisture created by breathing since the air is already fairly saturated. Get a pretty big dehumidifier that has a hose you can place in the sink or tub. The ones with tanks you empty will work but the tank will fill up faster than you think and either leak or stop working.

The amount of moisture from cooking and showering is massive so try to manage how you use vent fans for those activities. Pulling cushions away from walls will help them dry out and prevent moisture and rot.

And if you have moisture problems already I am thinking this adds another reason not to add a fish tank as you discussed in another thread
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200105-095914_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	271422
Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #10

the small counter top dehumidifiers have a shut off if the tank gets to full. I drilled a small hole in my tank then put a rubber grommet in the hole with a small hose that drains into the kitchen sink. the dehumidifier sets on the counter. I do this during storage and let it run 24/7. I live on the Oregon coast and it works great for me. I have no experience using it when living in the camper.
Jay D.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #11

Yup...we had that same issue. We always keep both vents cracked open about 2 inches. When we shower or cook and more recently use the instant pot (THAT creates a LOT of steam/moisture) we open the vents full open and turn them on exhaust.

Absolutely NO MORE moisture issues! We even had fuzzy mold growing prior to the fix. It was kinda cute....DW didn’t think so.

Good luck.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #12

Would using an electric heater eliminate most of that water vapor. I have used electric heaters in upper 30's night time temps and did not get very much moisture. I do not remember moisture being an issue with two people breathing thru out the night either using electric heat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #13

Lots of good advice, always leave roof vents open (covered of course).
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
Has anyone had experiences with water around their window when it's cold outside.

I'm pretty sure this would lead to corrosion with time. Is there a way to prevent this?Attachment 271372Attachment 271373
Ethan,
If the glass is single pane they will collect moisture.
Use a fan to circulate the air and there's also containers you can purchase to collect moisture. They are canisters that have moisture beads. As the beads collect moisture they transfer it into the container. I do have thermopane windows however I still uses the moisture package.

Side note,
You can try running the AC
" fan only" it will process the air and Remove moisture. ?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, wind, window