RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Confused about Cargo Weight

So we are researching and might buy a Grand Design 2600RB which has a GVWR of 6995 and UVW of 5625. It does not leave much room for cargo weight. Some of these units dry are even much heavier than the brochure weights state.

The towing vehicle we have is a 1 ton van with a maximum payload of 3500 pounds. Maximum towing is 9500.

This is where I am confused. Would we have the capability of storing a large amount of cargo in the van as long as we don't go over the GCWR? The GCWR is 15,000 pounds.

retire2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Your TW is subtracted from your cargo weight.

2004 Jeep TJ 4"lift 35" tires 4:56 gears
Mark & Carole Big Bear, Ca. RVM 54
Phoenix2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
It took me a while, but TW is tongue weight of trailer.

Cargo weight of the van would be 3500 minus trailer tongue weight (estimate 10% of trailer GVWR), minus passengers. The cargo weight should be taken off the van door sticker, specific to your vehicle with the options that are installed.

Yes, RVs are always heavier than brochure weights. Most RVs have a yellow sticker in the edge of the entry door that lists the exact weight of that RV when it rolls out the door of the factory (dry).

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

The lounge weight of the trailer is added to the cargo weight of the van. If van can carry 3500 lbs your and your trailer lounge weight is 1000 lbs you can only put 2500 lbs in your van. Remember that is total weight. People pets gear. Everything.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Cargo weight of the van would be 3500 minus trailer tongue weight (estimate 10% of trailer GVWR), minus passengers. The cargo weight should be taken off the van door sticker, specific to your vehicle with the options that are installed.
Recommended RANGE of tongue weight is 10-15% of actual trailer weight. If you are estimating prior to an actual weighing, I think you would be better served to use 15% of trailer GVWR. That way, if you end up under the GVWR, you have built exta margin into your towing capacity. Recognize that low tongue weight is a primary contributor to trailer sway.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2play View Post
So we are researching and might buy a Grand Design 2600RB which has a GVWR of 6995 and UVW of 5625. It does not leave much room for cargo weight. Some of these units dry are even much heavier than the brochure weights state.

The towing vehicle we have is a 1 ton van with a maximum payload of 3500 pounds. Maximum towing is 9500.

This is where I am confused. Would we have the capability of storing a large amount of cargo in the van as long as we don't go over the GCWR? The GCWR is 15,000 pounds.
Are you sure of those numbers? because your ccc on the TT is only around 1300 lbs - not sure how big the freshwater tank is but that stuff weighs 8lbs/gal.

Also don't forget that your Tow Rating includes the cargo capacity of the van - so if you plan on filling the van with items you must subtract that from the tow rating.

The van and it's contents and the trailer and it' contents can't exceed the 15,000 lbs. In addition, both vehicles need to be within their GVWR.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2play View Post
So we are researching and might buy a Grand Design 2600RB which has a GVWR of 6995 and UVW of 5625. It does not leave much room for cargo weight. .
Agree with the others but wanted to add a comment about the cargo carrying capacity. Based on your numbers your CCC is 1370lbs.

Recently we nearly pulled the trigger on a 40' trailer that had 1300lb CCC (Actual per the yellow sticker...which was different than the brochure as noted by others). I had been accustomed to >2000lbs in my previous trailers and was very concerned. The sales guy argued with me saying there was no way I had 1000lbs of stuff in my trailer...so I packed up for a trip and went to the scale.

Just to preface the next part--We pack 4 seasons worth of clothes for 3 folks. Lots of shoes, hiking boots, coats, sweaters, bathing suits, towels, extra water hoses, water filters, etc. We have a fair bit of cooking equipment, towels, beach towels, heater, fans, spare parts, several extra sets of sheets for 4 beds, 6 months of paper plates, cups, etc. I also carry a 40qt cooler of beverages in the trailer and cleaning supplies.

I was shocked to learn we only had 1300lbs of crap in the trailer. All of our friends laugh at us since we take so much but we like to be comfortable and just load the fridge and go.

The other thing i found is that my tongue weight was 14%...more than the WDH rating that the dealer sold me...so recommend you heed the notes above.

Bottom line--in a 35' trailer there is ample spaces, closets, cabinets, etc to store stuff.

In your case, if you are looking at a smaller trailer you just don't have the room to store that much, so unless you have bricks in the cabinets i would expect you would be well under 1000lbs of stuff.

In my case, the converse is true, on the 40' trailer mentioned above there was much more room to store stuff and we would have surely busted the 1300lb limit. Didn't pull the trigger...funny thing, the yellow sticker was the last thing i happen to notice before closing the deal.

Also note the weight of your WDH has to be added to the tongue weight. (Mine was north of 80lbs)

Good luck.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Also note the weight of your WDH has to be added to the tongue weight. (Mine was north of 80lbs)
Ran into an interesting post on another forum which may generate some discussion.

Guy had seen the posts that WDH weight had to be added to the tongue weight but had bought a Hensley Cub hitch and read that the Hensley folks claimed that their hitch did NOT add to tongue weight. So he got a Sherline scale and made some measurements. His weights are a on fully loaded trailer - battery, propane, camping stuff, etc. He said his hitch weighs about 185lbs.

His results:

Advertised dry tongue weight (Cherokee 23BD) - 488
TV max tongue weight - 550
Sherline scale under tongue jack foot (about 1 foot behind ball coupler) - 760
Sherline scale under "stinger" at the point where it connects to the TV receiver - 480

He says "The Hensley itself adds about 12" in distance between the receiver and the ball coupler, in fact with the stinger included it's probably more like 24". This extra leverage creates a mechanical advantage, reducing the amount of force it takes to "lift" the TT. Like putting longer handles on a wheelbarrow, even if those handles are heavy themselves. So by measuring I proved to myself that the Hensley (and similar designs) does in fact negate its own weight, and then some."
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Ran into an interesting post on another forum which may generate some discussion.

Guy had seen the posts that WDH weight had to be added to the tongue weight but had bought a Hensley Cub hitch and read that the Hensley folks claimed that their hitch did NOT add to tongue weight. So he got a Sherline scale and made some measurements. His weights are a on fully loaded trailer - battery, propane, camping stuff, etc. He said his hitch weighs about 185lbs.

His results:

Advertised dry tongue weight (Cherokee 23BD) - 488
TV max tongue weight - 550
Sherline scale under tongue jack foot (about 1 foot behind ball coupler) - 760
Sherline scale under "stinger" at the point where it connects to the TV receiver - 480

He says "The Hensley itself adds about 12" in distance between the receiver and the ball coupler, in fact with the stinger included it's probably more like 24". This extra leverage creates a mechanical advantage, reducing the amount of force it takes to "lift" the TT. Like putting longer handles on a wheelbarrow, even if those handles are heavy themselves. So by measuring I proved to myself that the Hensley (and similar designs) does in fact negate its own weight, and then some."
Your post is very interesting to me in that my WDH ball is to close to the rear of my truck preventing my fully opening of the tailgate. I did not realize that the "Stinger" could cure this problem and not be detrimental to towing the trailer.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS1MO View Post
Your post is very interesting to me in that my WDH ball is to close to the rear of my truck preventing my fully opening of the tailgate. I did not realize that the "Stinger" could cure this problem and not be detrimental to towing the trailer.
I am having a second thought to this post. It seems to me if you extend the WDH ball back 12 to 14 inchs that it would move the weight back as well and unload more weight from the front end of the truck. Am I thinking this correctly and if so I will have more tongue weight to deal with. Comments and thoughts welcomed......
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Actually, I don't think the stinger has as much effect as the design of the Hensley and ProPride hitches themselves. Both of these hitches add to length. The effect of the stinger is about the same as a standard ball hitch. It's called a stinger because it is just a straight bar on both ends. In the picture, the right side goes into the TV receiver and the left snugs into the hitch and is held there by latches on both sides (silver doo-dad). The length on the left is inside the hitch up to where the latch is. The stinger picture is a ProPride adjustable stinger

Quote:
I am having a second thought to this post. It seems to me if you extend the WDH ball back 12 to 14 inchs that it would move the weight back as well and unload more weight from the front end of the truck. Am I thinking this correctly and if so I will have more tongue weight to deal with. Comments and thoughts welcomed......
Claim is that he lowered his tongue weight. Unloading of the front axle is a function of leverage - adding weight behind the rear axle lifting the front end of the truck. So, my thought is, if the tongue weight is lowered, there is less leverage going across the rear axle, so less unloading of the front axle. I expect the "missing" weight is on the trailer axle(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stinger.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	969.8 KB
ID:	154323  
Attached Images

Tags
fuse, weight