Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Confused on weights

Someone please clear up confusion~~

TV 2013 F150 v8 with tow package Supercrew
TT 2016 Starcraft Dry weight: 4800
Axle 3.31
GCWR: 13500
Curb weight: 5100 lbs

Ford stats show: 9100 max towable
Sticker on side of trailer says trailer weighs 5300 and do not load more than 970 pounds. I am confused because my numbers are not jelling. I know I can weigh the trailer but I am trying to get the numbers in my head and exactly what they mean. My question stems around the 5300+970 which doesn't come close to the 9100. Which numbers should I be concerned with? Axle ratio is around 3500 front and 3700 rear if that matters in this equation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #2

First off....
9100# is FORD max tow rating for your TRUCK

5300# is weight of your TRAILER when it left factory
970# sounds like it is 'Cargo Capacity' of TRAILER

WHICH Starcraft Model do you have??????

Secondly.......
You SHOULD go weigh truck/trailer combo 'camp ready' so you will actually have REAL numbers to work with
Weigh truck/trailer with weight distribution hitch bars connected
Weigh truck/trailer with out weight distribution hitch bars NOT connected
Weigh truck alone.......drop trailer in lot and reweigh tuck by itself

Real World/Real Numbers/Real Information.........done

Old 02-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Hello....OP
Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Someone please clear up confusion~~

TV 2013 F150 v8 with tow package Supercrew
TT 2016 Starcraft Dry weight: 4800
Axle 3.31
GCWR: 13500
Curb weight: 5100 lbs

Ford stats show: 9100 max towable
Sticker on side of trailer says trailer weighs 5300 and do not load more than 970 pounds (CARGO CAPACITY --1bigmess).
(snip)
My question stems around the 5300+970 which doesn't come close to the 9100. Which numbers should I be concerned with? Axle ratio is around 3500 front and 3700 rear if that matters in this equation. (emphasis added)
You wrote "axle ratio", but I believe you meant "axle weight rating". Never exceed your axle weight rating. Never exceed your tow vehicle's Gross Weight Rating, which might be the 9100 figure? Please verify this for yourself.

The axle weight ratings added together could exceed your TV GVWR. You know that the majority of the tongue weight of the trailer will be added to your rear axle, so it's important to know the Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR). If you use a weight distribution hitch (WD or WDH), then some weight will be levered onto the front axle as well, so you need to know your Front Axle Weight Rating (FAWR).

Along with not exceeding those weight ratings, you need to know the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the tow vehicle (GVWR) This limit is how much weight you can carry on the tow vehicle alone, and includes everything from a full tank of fuel to the six pack of soda in the cooler, fuel for your generator, the whole family including the dog, and all those rocks the kids seem to always want to bring back with them so they can put them in the yard and forget about them ever existing from that point on.

Don't forget about your tires, too. They have weight limits. You should never exceed them. They are your only contact with the road. Don't abuse this relationship.

There will be weight limits for the trailer axles, too. There will be a GVWR for the trailer.

How you load the trailer will affect weight distribution for the trailer, and can affect the tongue weight. Just keep that in mind, but it's usually not a problem at all, until the kids start piling rocks in there.

Tongue weight eats up TV cargo capacity (GVWR - anything you put in the truck including fuel and passengers).

The TV Gross Combination Weight Rating is the grand total of all weights of the Tow Vehicle and Trailer.

Forget about what your truck manufacturer says you can tow. That number is with an empty truck and a 150 pound driver. Chances are very good that you have stuff in your truck, and you will have more in there when you go camping. Use the axle weight ratings, the GVWR of the truck and trailer, and the truck GCWR as your limits. You won't really know where you stand with these limits until you get the truck weighed, then the combination weighed.

Does that help? I hope it does.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
RPr

As Old Biscuit said, get the real numbers from the scales. Also keep in mind that you can pull more than you can haul.

My F-150 can tow 9500 lbs but it has a max cargo capacity of 1411 lbs. So, I can tow a 9000 lbs trailer with 1100 lbs of tongue weight but I only have 311 lbs for me, the DW and maybe the dog.

In the real world my camping cargo, me, the dog and wife come to about 600 lbs. My TT tongue weight is about the same.

I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If the 970 (cargo) number is right, that is rather small.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

Look on the driver's side door for the sticker that lists the various limits. Look for Payload or Cargo Capacity. This is how much weight you can put in and on the truck. This number must be large enough to not be exceeded by you, your family, your stuff inside the truck, the hitch, any after market parts, and the tongue weight of the trailer.

If your trailer is 5300, and allows for 970 of cargo, then your trailer can weigh a max of 6270. Tongue weight for safe towing should be 12-15% of trailer weight, so worst case scenario without overloading your trailer is 752.4 on the tongue from the trailer alone.

WDH's are about 100 pounds.

Typical cargo capacity in 1/2 ton trucks can range between 1100 and 2000ish, depending on option, trim, and model.

So for example, if you have a 700 lb tongue weight, a 100 lb hitch, and 400 pounds of people and stuff in the truck, you'd be at 1200 of payload.

Go check your sticker and see what your payload limit is. Then go weigh everything as described in a post above.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Generally you run out of payload before tow capacity. Depending on the payload of the truck it should work since the loaded trailer is well below the tow capacity.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

truck has a payload of 3100 however is also says on ford website maximum load trailer is 8100 thats why i am confused
Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

So just to double check, the sticker inside the truck door says the payload is 3100? Seems high to me. Some 250's don't have a payload that high and you do not have an eco boost so I would have thought something under 2000 pounds.

For a start you want the tow capacity of the truck and the payload of the truck. Then you want the loaded weight of the trailer and the tongue weight of the trailer. If the total weight of the trailer is less than the tow capacity of the truck and the tongue weight is less than the payload it has a chance to be possible. If either part of the trailer is higher than the truck counter part then you need to keep looking.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

trailer weights

Okay here are my numbers:

Truck payload on Ford website shows 3200.
Truck sticker on drivers door: GVW 7100 (no other numbers on door except the GAW and tire psi)

TT: sticker on side says 5300 lbs with 970 cargo weight

tongue weight: 500

Also the Ford towing site shows: 13,500 GCVR and 8100 maximum trailer weight

I am trying to make sense of these numbers and how they add up, i think i am okay but I am leaving this friday for our maiden voyage and wanted to make sure all my ducks where lined up. Your help has been so appreciated and you are explaining it so I can understand it. Again thank you so much for your time. I don't want to go a weigh station just yet being that I am such a rookie and I am still wandering around in the dark trying to convince my wife that I know what I am doing, Ha!!

2013 F150 v8 with tow package
Old 02-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #12

cornfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
truck has a payload of 3100 however is also says on ford website maximum load trailer is 8100 thats why i am confused

I found better numbers to aid you in helping me:

If I subtract truck weight(5500) from GVR (7100) I get 1600 payload capacity.

Now do I subtract tongue, passengers and cargo from that?

estimated: 500 Tongue; 350 passengers, 300/400 cargo

If all these numbers are correct am I okay?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #13

1600 seems like a good payload number. If the loaded weight of the trailer is close to 6470 then your tongue weight will be about 750/800. The 500 you list probably came from the brochure which is based on an empty dry unit at the factory. So take the 1600 and subtract the tongue weight, human weight, supplies and the weight of the hitch. It looks like you will be close but not over if you are careful. Be sure to use a good WDH and have it tuned in good to help with the towing.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #14

If I load some of the cargo in the bed of truck does that help or hurt my capacity or does it make any difference

Tags
fuse, weight