Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Considering a TT

We recently sold our Class A motorhome and thinking of getting a tow behind for my 1/2 ton pickup. We are looking for one of the top quality brand that is around 22'~25' long with a dry weight 5,000lb or less. We would prefer two single beds over the short queen. My 1/2 ton truck has 5.3 L engine and has a maximum tow weight capacity of 7,500 lb. What brand would you recommend for quality and ease of towing? Thanks, John
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Oliver. Check it out on my blog.

Wincrasher's Travels
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just about all 22' to 25' tt's will have a dry weight under 5k. Our 26' hybrid with a slide is only 4300 lbs. dry. The sub 25' tt's you may have to give up a couch. Some incorporate the dining area and the couch as one. You still want to look at fresh water tank size. 20-30 small, 30 - 44 average, 45 and larger large. Some budget tt's are only 7' or 7' 6" wide. Where as a 8' wide is much better. A slide will really open up the whole inside.

Budget tt's could range from $12k to $14k. Higher quality tt's will be in the $20's to $30k range.

You can go with a Airstream where their top of the line 28' model has a starting MSRP of $146,000.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

"My 1/2 ton truck has 5.3 L engine and has a maximum tow weight capacity of 7,500 lb." That 7500 pounds is gross weight. I don't know if there are any trailers with an empty (dry) weight of under 5000 pounds that gross over 7500, but check the yellow sticker on the left front just to make sure that you aren't going to go over that 7500 pounds. I suspect that by limiting yourself to trailers with a dry weight of under 5000 pounds you are automatically leaving yourself a safety margin, which is a good thing.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

The dealer we bought our ORV Creek Side from also sells Lance trailers. We checked them out. They seem like solid quality put in smaller and lighter packages.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

Considering a tt

Take a look at flagstaff micro lite model 21fbrs it is just under 21' we love our 2013 and tow it with a 2013 gmc sierra 5.3l..the tt is 3800 lbs dry so i am towing about 4400 lbs gross. Has queen walk around bed and is very well built...we love it. Down sized from 32' 5th wheel...just me and the misses..truck can tow max. 9600 but i figure about 70% of 9600 max or 6700lbs....good luck
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
My 1/2 ton truck has 5.3 L engine and has a maximum tow weight capacity of 7,500 lb. What brand would you recommend for quality and ease of towing?
We purchased a Remington/Winnebago 2200DS travel trailer that has a dry weight of just under 5,000 lbs. We tow it just fine with a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500. I think Winnebago re-branded the Sunnybrook Remington line into their Minnie's, as the floor plan is identical to ours with the only difference being the color/paint scheme on the exterior. There are plenty of options in the size range you mentioned. I'd plan on visiting a few RV shows and checking out the floor plans you like best. We are very happy with our purchase. Good luck to you.
Lou & Benecia 29 ft Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab Cummins Diesel 3:92 axle ratio
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
1/2 ton trucks are not the best to tow/pull/stop travel trailers.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
From what I am reading on the blog post a 1/2 ton is only good for towing a couple of 2x4's in the back. How is it I always see cars and light mini vans towing trailers up and down the highway. If I need to trade my truck for a 3/4 ton then I would probably go with a 5th wheel. If I decide to move up to a 3/4 ton truck then the debate becomes gas or diesel.
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Correct, a 1 ton would be best
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

If you are under 5000 lbs, a 1/2 will do quite well. I'd up that to 7500 lbs if you have an aerodynamic trailer.

More truck is always better, as you have more margin. But it comes at a price - price of the truck, more fuel cost, and physical size.

I love my HD, but I'll probably downsize to something like the Colorado diesel if it's tow rating is decent. Smaller dimensions, but a strong drivetrain is very appealing.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
From what I am reading on the blog post a 1/2 ton is only good for towing a couple of 2x4's in the back. How is it I always see cars and light mini vans towing trailers up and down the highway. If I need to trade my truck for a 3/4 ton then I would probably go with a 5th wheel. If I decide to move up to a 3/4 ton truck then the debate becomes gas or diesel.
Your half ton is more than fine for what you are doing.

Now if you go 3/4, I think diesel makes the most sense, but that is another topic. I'll say this about my 2015 HD 2500 - it rides amazing. I have no interest or need for a smoother DD.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
This kind of statement really doesn't help anyone as it really depends on the specific 1/2 ton truck and the specific trailer. There are many light weight trailers that can be comfortably towed by a 1/2 ton truck. I'm the first to acknowledge that just because my Tundra is rated to tow 10K that one shouldn't really think it can because of payload capacity. But, my truck is certainly well suited for towing 6500 lbs. or so.

It is far more helpful to advise folks that they really have to learn what determines the "real world" towing capacity of their 1/2 ton truck and the fact the dry weights are usually lower than actual weight out of the factory.
Likewise, it's not realistic to say that any 3/4 ton pickup can haul any fifth wheel trailer.

In this case, the OP does have options for picking a TT that can be towed by his truck and hopefully, he will get some good recommendations and advice from forum members.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
scb.Did the OP buy that truck to tow or has he had that truck and now wants to tow? How long will the brakes hold up? 3RD member? Leaf springs?ect How will he know how the trailer sit's on his truck? Go to dealers and say i want that one and that one on my truck so i can see how it sits? Buy the truck that will haul around 10k and not worry about trailer weight if you have your eye on a 7500lb trailer. Big is better.