Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #1

We are considering moving from a slide-in camper to a travel trailer in order to enjoy the obvious benefits of more room, etc. I think we'd like to be in the 30-32 foot range because I like the layouts where the bedroom is a separate room with it's own door etc (I'm an early riser & the bride likes to sleep in).

Not having owned a TT before I'm looking for recommendations on what brands are good reliable units.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #2

We are considering moving from a slide-in camper to a travel trailer in order to enjoy the obvious benefits of more room, etc. I think we'd like to be in the 30-32 foot range because I like the layouts where the bedroom is a separate room with it's own door etc (I'm an early riser & the bride likes to sleep in).

Not having owned a TT before I'm looking for recommendations on what brands are good reliable units.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Riverdog,

Do you have a price range in mind? The availability of specific models will depend on what you want to spend. Do you want an entry level, mid level or high level/fulltime unit (although the latter will tend to be 5th wheels more than TTs)? Would you consider a used unit? You can get more RV for your buck with a used RV, but there are obviously more risks involved.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #4

I would definately consider used. I don't want entry level - I'd just as soon spend a few more bucks to get better quality. I'm thinking between $20 & $30k.

Another question - does anyone make a TT with a fiberglass roof instead of rubber?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Prior to our current 5th wheel, we owned 3 Jaycos - a pop-up and 2 5th wheels - and were quite satisfied with value per dollar spent as well as their customer support.

Sunnybrook (aka Mobile Scout) and Nash/Arctic Fox owners generally seem satisfied with their RVs as well.

Rusty
Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Check out Crossroads - they have several different lines, with Zinger being their entry level and Paradise Pointe being their upper level. We just purchased a Cruiser.

Crossroads Website
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #7

Have you considered a fifth-wheel? You have the truck, and should be able to tow a 30-32ft. with ease. We have really liked the room in our 5'er.
cindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #8

Riverdog,
You don't list where you are located, but www.pplmotorhomes.com may have the used unit you are looking for. They are located in Houston, TX and only deal in used units.

My experience with them has been buying parts and they are very prompt and nice to deal with over the phone.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cindik:
Have you considered a fifth-wheel? You have the truck, and should be able to tow a 30-32ft. with ease. We have really liked the room in our 5'er. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to keep the pickup box to haul my Honda Goldwing, therefore I'm looking at a trailer instead of a 5er.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I face the same problem as I'd really like to bring my BMW K1200GT along, but I can't see riding it up into a pickup bed!

Have you considered a toyhauler, either as a TT or 5th wheel?

Rusty
Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #11

In my price range the toy haulers that I've seen seem to have a more "rough it" feel. My wife likes to be pampered a little more than that (she keeps reminding me she's a RV'er not a camper). I have seen more luxurious 5'ers that are toy haulers but they are pricier than I want to spend.

I too do not want to ride that big of a bike into the pickup bed so I'm looking at a hydraulic loading system. Go to www.motorcycletrailer.com & scroll down until you see the "Rampage Lift" - you can click on it for a demonstration.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #12

A couple of points I'd like to bring up:

1. A lot of discussion is made over the "quality" of one brand over another. Working for a RV dealership, I've learned that most of them, regardless of brand, have quality and workmanship problems to one degree or another. The biggest factor that determines the RV's "quality" once it gets into the hands of the new owner, is the skill and attention to detail of the technicians in the dealer's service department. Very few brand new RV's that are sold, go from factory to new owner without having some sort of discrepancy that must be corrected by the service technicians. These problems are noted and corrected by service tech's during inspections that are conducted after receipt of the RV from the factory and before it is sold.

2. If you are thinking about a used unit, consider one from a dealership. Or if you are thinking of a RV from a private seller, have it inspected by a reputable RV dealership service department. Some of the used units taken in trade by the dealership I work for, have had issues revealed during post trade-in inspection. Not all trade-in's have issues, but several have had problems that can affect the safety of using the RV. I have seen inoperative braking systems, stoves, refridgerators and furnaces. A few furnaces have had holes rusted thru the heat exchangers, allowing CO fumes to enter the RV. I have seen water heaters split wide open from not winterizing in the fall. Some have had leaks in the LP gas system. Pay particular attention to the rubber roof and caulking. Very few casual RV'ers check the roof's condition even on an annual basis. All of these problems we have had to fix prior to selling it to it's next owner. Yea, we mark the price up on the unit before re-selling it, but at least it is a fully functional & safe RV.

Retired USAF MSGT
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote