Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
Consumer Reports that Chinese Tires are No Bargain

2011 5.7l Toyota Tundra w/ Roadmaster Suspension.
2014 Jayco Eagle 338 RLTS w/ 7hp gen & 1000w invert.
PowerTwin II-30" Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not usually care for consumers reports,,, I mean their bias has shown in many reviews.

But this time I think they got it straight...

Short true story.. Got to work and the roads looked like August (Clear and dry) While I sat in the office we got about an inch an hour of SNOW

Parking lot is at bottom of hill
Bragging co-worker was lauging and speculating on the show "The Kid" was going to put on getting up that hill with his new Ford Splash with the extra wide rear wheels (Just about the worst ride I can imagine for those conditions) and sure enough. he did put on a good show.

Followed by McBrag and his big Linclon Mark-land yatch.. Same show

Two women, one from Ga where I'm currently stuck and one from TX, both with Front wheel drive, went up the hill smartly (And straight).

I brought up the rear with my Chrysler mini-station wagon, Also straight.

McBrag said "It's all those heavy boxes you have in the back (3 or 4 empty boxes, likely about a pound total)

NO.. It was the Kelly Navigator 800's on the rear that did it.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a problem with china tires? I am sooooooooooo shocked.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Totally unfair. You can't compare a car tire that has 2 or 4 ply sidewalls with a trailer tire that has 4/6/8/10 ply sidewall whether it's from China or not. True if a trailer has brakes, a person wants that trailer to help stop the TV, but if the TV and the trailer both have crappy tires and work fine, how is that crappy?

So what if you paid $100(each mount/balance) for a Chinese trailer tire and it only gives you 4-5yrs of trouble free service over a $200(ea m/b) USA trailer tire and it gave 6yrs service. You still saved $400 on a set of 4 tires that can let you be camping today, instead of waiting 6 more months to save up the extra money just to only get 1 more year service out of them. That's NOT a good ratio of investment.

I'm not talking about any blowouts, which can happen to any tire due to over/under inflation, debris/potholes on road, or any other sort of crap that one runs into.
Besides, a trailer tire wasn't designed to match what a vehicles tires are made to get of 50/65/80 thousand miles, with all the steel cords and much deeper treads.

A trailer tire generally gets maybe 10 to 20 thousand miles before needing replacement due to tire scuffing from tandem/triple axles that don't turn like the front wheels of a vehicle.

Now, if we're talking about using a true "truck tire" as a trailer tire, that's a whole other animal, and I agree that the Chinese tires will be no comparison. This is due to much better tread compounds, sidewall construction and all the steel/amamid cords giving the tire their strength.

You might not like Chinese, but not all Chinese products are that crappy if they have the proper QC behind it.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I rolled over in my mind all the things I could say here about the many products from china that have been proven to be deadly or faulty, but it would serve no purpose.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are there any ST trailer tires made in the USA?

Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote