Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Conundrum

Hi everyone...

I'm new into the RV Travel Trailer community and would like some advice.

My wife and my two kids 9&11 live in Toronto Canada and are planning a camping/travel trip this summer across Eastern Canada.

To do this we are buying our first Travel trailer…So what’s the problem you’re asking…

Background….Family has loved multiple years of tent camping…Wife not overly sold on the trailer buying idea but has gone along with a trial purchase with the caveat that we would sell this either at the end of the trip of soon thereafter (1-2 years)…Me is hoping that she will love it, and we will get to hang onto the trailer for many more years. (5-6 years)

The two trailers I’m looking at are a 2010 K-Z Spree 318 BHS selling for $15K, and a 2013 Kodiak Express By Dutchman 299BHSL at $19000.

The K-Z has the slightly older exterior look with the flat front nose, two tip outs (one large one in the center tipping one way for the dinette and coach and a second tipping the opposite for the bunkhouse), manual awning and overall immaculately maintained a cared for inside and out.
Great inside but but overall older looking trailer on the outside

The Kodiak is a 2013 has the new modern look with the aerodynamic front end with rock guard on the bottom, also two tips outs but they both go in the same direction, 2 front doors (one for accesses to the washroom),power awning and a large outdoor kitchen.

When I run the numbers for short term ownership, both would sell with in a year a the same purchase price as today

If I run the numbers at selling both trailers in 5-6 years from today the Kodiak would be lose a bit more vs the KZ by approximately $1700

$5600 over 5 years for cost of ownership for the KZ vs $7300 over 5 years for cost of ownership for the Kodiak

What trailer would you recommend I buy?
Attached Images

new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post
Hi everyone...

I'm new into the RV Travel Trailer community and would like some advice.

My wife and my two kids 9&11 live in Toronto Canada and are planning a camping/travel trip this summer across Eastern Canada.

To do this we are buying our first Travel trailer…So what’s the problem you’re asking…

When I run the numbers for short term ownership, both would sell with in a year a the same purchase price as today

If I run the numbers at selling both trailers in 5-6 years from today the Kodiak would be lose a bit more vs the KZ by approximately $1700

$5600 over 5 years for cost of ownership for the KZ vs $7300 over 5 years for cost of ownership for the Kodiak

What trailer would you recommend I buy?
At the risk of giving you an answer that seems like just a rude comment, buy the one that you and your family likes the best. The $$ are not so far apart that one is a particularly better or worse deal than the other. Make the family happy and don't fret about a few bucks. Get the floor plan that is best for your family. Over the period of a few years that is far more important than the $1700 in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
At the risk of giving you an answer that seems like just a rude comment, buy the one that you and your family likes the best. The $$ are not so far apart that one is a particularly better or worse deal than the other. Make the family happy and don't fret about a few bucks. Get the floor plan that is best for your family. Over the period of a few years that is far more important than the $1700 in my opinion.

+1 on this response.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Another +1 on blacktruck's response - buy the one you like, floor plan is the most important thing. And for whoever cooks in your family, make sure they are OK with counter space (such as it is).
You give the indication of liking one over the other simply due to having a newer (more current) look. If you think you're going to dislike the other one because it doesn't look new enough, then keep that in mind too.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Black truck is on the mark. The floor plan is critical to keeping everyone happy. You want to be able to say this floorplan really works for us versus we can make this work for us. If u do the latter buyers remorse won't take long to set in.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If Momma's not happy, nobody is happy. Buy the trailer your wife likes. Period. If you don't you're never going to hear the end of it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If Momma's not happy, nobody is happy. Buy the trailer your wife likes. Period. If you don't you're never going to hear the end of it.

I didn't know you met her. [emoji23]
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Considering you're trying to sell the wife on the idea of RV camping this is a no-brainer. The last thing you want is for her to have a built-in reason to be done before you even start.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailers are like boats, you loose a lot when you sell them. Do you already have a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow with? If not, would you consider renting an rv for a week long vacation and see if she comes around? Buying and selling at the end of the summer would be a pretty big hit on the pocketbook.
Most likely you'd be lucky to get 80% back a year later with a private sale, a lot less if you have to sell to a dealer.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Trailers are like boats, you loose a lot when you sell them. Do you already have a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow with? If not, would you consider renting an rv for a week long vacation and see if she comes around? Buying and selling at the end of the summer would be a pretty big hit on the pocketbook.
Most likely you'd be lucky to get 80% back a year later with a private sale, a lot less if you have to sell to a dealer.
100% agree. If you only plan on keeping it a year or 2, then definitely look used. Also if you are going out east, then a 3/4 ton is required for the hills.

Planning the same trip this year myself. Bought close to same trailer and test camped 3 weeks straight last year starting in Tobermory, then to Kingston, then back out the Niagara Falls. The camper was great, the 1/2 ton Chevy pick-up struggled in the hills around Tobermory. Get a camper that leaves you plenty of room weight wise, for all the other stuff you bring camping with you. You tow vehicle will determine this....
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
This! My wife and I rented trailers for three years until we learned what we liked in a floor plan. We also learned a lot about trailer construction so that when we came to the place where we wanted to buy one I already knew to look past the bling and dig into the construction methods, whether the cabinets were screwed together or just stapled, tire size etc. You learn a lot renting.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

Replies to your question are spot on. Buy the floor plan that works for you, don't just buy exterior looks. Most of your quality camping time will be done inside regardless of what you think at this point. Also don't get caught up in the never ending discussion of the best quality constructed unit. They're nearly all poorly put together and you will need to develop a love of working on it to make it better. That's what makes it yours and tinkering with the camper is one of my most treasured hobbies. Enjoy the ride!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #13

If you like the intimacy of tent camping and want that same feel but with some of the conveniences of a trailer I would go with something small that you can get into the smaller camp sites. For that fit I would go no bigger than 25 foot hitch to rear. Once you get bigger than that you have to find larger spots and if you get real big if your not in a campground some wide open spots.

I was a tent camper for years and when I got a trailer i got a small one for my wife and kids and was glad I did get something smaller for us. i could get into the awesome secluded spots at Glacier National Park right along the lake.

Now everyone is different but wanted to throw that out there. I bought a used 1977 trailer for my first and I am now selling it and buying a brand new Outdoors RV 18DB travel Trailer. Its 23 foot front to back.

Good luck to you on your trip.

AJ
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy the one with the floor plan that gives you the best chance of keeping it long term. As previously mentioned if she does not like living in it you will have no chance of getting to 5 or 6 years.

If you make it 5 or 6 years you will likely be in a position to get another one or keep the one you have.