Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Converter Where?

We just purchased a 1996 Terry 23LV from a dealer. Dealer no help. I have no 12vDC without the battery connected. For now I am using the battery with a portable charger. I thought the original converter was junk, but I can't find it. There is a AC breaker, DC fuse box but no converter. The box is to small to of had one in it. The 12vDC wire from the box goes straight to the battery. This trailer has a hooded compartment over the LP tanks. There is a GFI in the compartment. I don't see any sign of something that was mounted there. Could there have been a charger in there? I would appreciate any help.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
I did find a spot inside the LP trunk that looks like there was something mounted.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Converter chargers are commonly located near the fuse box or the battery. You may have to take the fuse panel out to see the converter charger. If it has not been removed you will find it in one of the above locations. Wires from the converter have to go to the fuse box so try and find wires coming out of the fuse box and trace back to converter.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many trailers the converter is directly in back of teh fuse/breaker panels but you said yours is not there.

On my motor home it is nearly as far as you can get from the fuse/breaker box.

I have seen them.. In a bench seat (under the seat) storage area area, In basement storage compartments, and other places.

Recommendation is this Replace that automotive charger with a Progressive Dynamics 9200 sized to match your batteirres as follows.. And be done with it.

Group 24, about 75 amp hours each
Group 27,,, Think 95
Group 29 Like 1105
Group 31 130
GC-2 pairs in series 230

Add up your battereies, multiply by 30% (0.30) and.... Get the converter closest to the result.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Could it had been mounted close to the battery with pos and neg cables tied directly to the battery?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Could it had been mounted close to the battery with pos and neg cables tied directly to the battery?
It could have been and 2 heavy wires would have run from it to the fuse box
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you all. I thought I was losing it when I couldn't find the converter. I guess the last owner must have removed it.

Tags
converter