Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Converting 4pin to 7pin

My FJ cruiser has the 4 pin connector and my TT has the 7pin. Question, the dealer has promised to install my brake controller, but they insist that the harness has to be converted to a 7 pin before installing the brake control. They wanna charge $500 to run wiring to battery and to do the conversion.

My buddy said he can convert the the 4 to 7 pin and run wiring but that I should have the dealership add the brake first and any wiring that they might add, then he can just plug everything in. So can they add the brake (I won't be using it) and leave any wires ready to do conversion. Or does the conversion "have" to be done first?

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

You could get this harness and then just run the 2 wires from front to rear.
$500.00 sounds steep to do the whole job. But if they warrantee the work it may not hurt to get it done by them. You only need to run the blue wire which comes from the brake controller. And the black wire from the battery which is your 12volt constant. The white ground you can get any place at the back of the truck.

Did that price include the brake controller. If so find out which controller they are selling you.

CURT Manufacturing - CURT Duplex Electrical Adapter #57672 | CURT Manufacturing

Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
No, either way could work. If you installed the 7 pin connector and changed the 4 pin wiring to the 7 pin connector, the dealer could then string and add wires needed for brake controller and perhaps 12 (+) line to keep battery in toad or break away battery on trailer charged. Here's wiring info: Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

I'm not sure which brake they are adding, it was promised as part of my purchase and on contract only says brake controller install. I found a few adapters online that come w wiring needed for like $50 will those work?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Putting an adaptor into the circuit (4 pin to 7 pin) just gives another place for corrosion or bad contacts to develop. I'd cut the 4 pin off, strip the insulation, and install into a 7 pin socket that mounts next to or on the receiver or back bumper. The 7 pin socket is also much cheaper than an adaptor.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a custom fit controller harness for your FJ Toyota FJ Cruiser Brake Controller with Wiring | etrailer.com they also have good directions video etc. As for splicing I solder and use heat shrink tubing or use crimp connector with heat shrink and glue (Harbor Freight has them). Etrailer has every thing you need.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

Ok thanks for the info, I'm gonna call them. I already have the brake just need to convert 4 pin to 7 pin

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

I left you a link for the curt harness for the rear.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I left you a link for the curt harness for the rear.
So with that adapter all they need to do is run wiring to brake and to the battery?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #10

Yes that's all. Very simple.

But the only thing I would do is where it tells you to just plug into the factory four pin plug,I would solder those wires together. If you don't want to go that way just add some dielectric grease before you plug them togeter and add a tie strap through just to make sure the two plugs do not come disconnected.

And just my two cents but you may want to upgrade the trailer brake controller to a tekonsha brake controlor. Maybe a Prodigy® P2 or P3®.

I went with the P3® and so far really like it worth the extra money.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Yes that's all. Very simple. But the only thing I would do is where it tells you to just plug into the factory four pin plug,I would solder those wires together. If you don't want to go that way just add some dielectric grease before you plug them togeter and add a tie strap through just to make sure the two plugs do not come disconnected. And just my two cents but you may want to upgrade the trailer brake controller to a tekonsha brake controlor. Maybe a Prodigy® P2 or P3®. I went with the P3® and so far really like it worth the extra money.
Ok thanks a ton, I'm not sure what they are giving me.

So just to triple check, i have just the 4 pin at the moment. The dealer can install the brake controller w no 7 pin installed? Then I can install the 7 pin and run the wiring at a later time?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Run the wires yourself I have done this many times lots of info at Redneck Trailers. Com I have the P3 love it
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
So just to triple check, i have just the 4 pin at the moment. The dealer can install the brake controller w no 7 pin installed? Then I can install the 7 pin and run the wiring at a later time?
Why not install the 7 pin connector NOW, where you want it and how how you want it to look and access? You could go ahead and hook the 4 wires you have from the 4 pin, label them clearly with tabs of tape and let the dealer add the brake controller and the wires needed for it. The dealer might install the socket in a place you won't like and charge you for the labor and time to do something you could probably do yourself, thus learning a little about the connections that make the system work.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #14

Yes the dealer can install the brake controller.

And then when you get home you can run the wire front to rear and mount the new 7 pin harness.

Just get the dealer to mark the wire that has to be ran to the back of the truck from the brake controller.