Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Converting utility trailer into travel trailer

My new project is to convert this heavy-duty utility trailer into a travel trailer with a one year time frame. I want to be able to use it to travel the country when my wife and I retire, so I want to make sure its going to be ready for continual use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7537.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	23726

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool project, going to add a second axle to keep it stable while towing

Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is JUST an opinion from trying to do a DIY Class "B" and from some contact with others that tried a DIY a travel trailer...

I would submit that most DIY projects will be heavier and more costly than buying a used production rig. My downfall was carpentry...but you also need to know electronics, plumbing, and design.

Example: Sidewalls and roof - Mfgt's use multi-layer insulated walls and many are vacuum formed = low weight/high strength.
DIY maybe stud/foam/siding = heavier/less stiff.

Knowledge is power,
and
I wish you the best of luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #4

I'm subscribed, good luck on your build!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm looking forward to learning how to do this from all the experience here.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck!
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
This is JUST an opinion from trying to do a DIY Class "B" and from some contact with others that tried a DIY a travel trailer...

I would submit that most DIY projects will be heavier and more costly than buying a used production rig. My downfall was carpentry...but you also need to know electronics, plumbing, and design.

Example: Sidewalls and roof - Mfgt's use multi-layer insulated walls and many are vacuum formed = low weight/high strength.
DIY maybe stud/foam/siding = heavier/less stiff.

Knowledge is power,
and
I wish you the best of luck.
I don't want to be negative as a matter of fact I hate negative people. But I think he might be right
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would strip the frame of the utility trailer add the second axle make sure all 4 wheels has electric brakes figure where the tanks will go then add framing for them when done with all the fab work on the frame weight it to get a starting weight of frame only
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

I also wish you the best of luck, I enjoy most DIY's bust this would be way too much for me. I also think you should consider selling the utility trailer. You could get a older travel trailer in exchange and at least have something to start with. Just an idea.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisa02
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm looking forward to learning how to do this from all the experience here.
Check out this website: http://glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html

There's plans you can buy for building your travel trailer. There's also pictures of other people's builds.

A good investment may be a set a scales to keep track of overall weight & tongue weight.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
I would strip the frame of the utility trailer add the second axle make sure all 4 wheels has electric brakes figure where the tanks will go then add framing for them when done with all the fab work on the frame weight it to get a starting weight of frame only
Yes, Thanks. All sides and side frame will come off to accommodate the new 8ft wide flooring. Will add a second axle. I did not consider brakes on all four, but sounds safe... Thanx
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
I also wish you the best of luck, I enjoy most DIY's bust this would be way too much for me. I also think you should consider selling the utility trailer. You could get a older travel trailer in exchange and at least have something to start with. Just an idea.
Thanx. Appreciate the comments. You are absolutely right. Once physically started, this will be an overwhelming project. But it will keep me busy, give me something to do, and I am in no hurry.

I estimate about one year (from physical start) for completion. I "plan" on doing all the plumbing and most of the electrical myself. But I will not rule out having it done professionally.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
I am one to DIY it also, but on this project I am with DBeauchamp, some older travel trailers can be picked for next nothing, then gut it and make it what you want. Either way I wish you the best luck and enjoyment in your project.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I too would NEVER consider this and I've done some huge diy projects in the past...

Unless you are a structural engineer, I would be very concerned that the frame would support a functioning "RV" without major modification... which will add a lot of weight, wouldn't it ?

And then there's getting it licensed by a governmental agency -
how many would not consider licensing it .... but good luck !

I'm too suggest sell the trailer, save $200 per month, and have $4000 or so dollars to buy a working one or put down on a better one IMHO - good luck !

Tags
travel