Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Norcold seems to get the freezer down to temp much faster than the fridge. Ours is pretty cold after a few hours and can be loaded at that time usually. We have a thermometer in ours and after maybe 4 hours the fridge is about 40 degrees and the freezer is around 32.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
We have a new Dutchman with a fridge / freezer. We have it connected to
house power and have turned it on tonight. How long should we plan to get
it to a cold and frozen state.

Once we disconnect the power, and don't want to use gas while traveling. How long in normal day time temps can you travel and be safe with temperatures?

Thank You.
Our travel trailer stays in a seasonal site at our campground. We tend to use it every weekend.

We do not leave it powered up, and thus, need to turn on the refrigerator/freezer every Friday evening.

A "trick" we've learned, that helps a lot, is we place a 8-pound bag of ice in the freezer section, which helps the refrigerator/freezer cool down in a couple of hours instead of the 8 or so hours without the "ice" help.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #17

It takes about 12 hours for mine at the most. But, If I'm in a hurry I can put my cold food and frozen items in there after only 9 hours and it's just fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #18

running fridge on LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenrichs View Post
I usually go over to storage and turn it on LP the night before we leave so it is good and cold when I pack up in the morning. then I leave it on lp for the trip
I was glad to see this as I have the same issue. My rig is in storage with no shore power and the HOA won't let me leave it in the driveway overnight. So turning on the LP the night before in storage is really the only option. Does anyone see an issue with this approach?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #19

We plug it in the night before we leave. It's plenty cold by morning. All food items especially sodas, water bottles etc. are chilled in the house the night before. No warm foods in fridge when 1st packing it. Generally we turn it on gas while towing but temporarily turn fridge off when refueling.

When I don't turn the fridge on LP then food will be ok for 2-3 hours. After that some foods start to get too warm. Really depends on types of foods you have in fridge and freezer as some foods stay cold longer than others.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #20

Why risk food poisoning by not running the frig while traveling? Both Norcold and Dometic say to run the frig on propane while traveling to keep food at a safe temperature, and go further to state not to allow the frig temperature to exceed 40*F at any time.
You are hauling around at least 20G of gasoline; 1G of gas totally evaporated in a 10'X10'X10' enclosed space has the equivalent explosive power of 30lb of TNT. Are you concerned about being blown-up? It is the same rationale.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #21

I turn mine on the day before I start loading the fridge.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #22

I run mine on propane while travelling.

and I don't "turn it off" when I fuel up the truck. I've yet to see anyone do that.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding running the fridge on propane while in motion.

What is the concern? is it fire?

Now let me lay out two scenes.

1: You cool it down, turn it off, go to an FMCA rally where you are parked next to a million dollar Provost, you turn it on on propane (Since there is no electricity where you are parked) and while you are at the opening cermonies the fire dept makes a house call to put it out.. major damage to the next door neighbor(s) as well.

Scene 2: You run it on propane down the freeway, it catches fire and the guy in that million dollar rig has his wife hold up a sign "YOU ARE ON FIRE" as he passes you. no damage to his rig, the Fire Dept shows up as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
I run mine on propane while travelling.

and I don't "turn it off" when I fuel up the truck. I've yet to see anyone do that.
We shut down propane at all fuel stops. Have you ever seen a fuel pump fire? It's BIG!!
If you aren't shutting off your propane at fuel stops PLEASE don't fuel up next to me.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Regarding running the fridge on propane while in motion.

What is the concern? is it fire?

Now let me lay out two scenes.

1: You cool it down, turn it off, go to an FMCA rally where you are parked next to a million dollar Provost, you turn it on on propane (Since there is no electricity where you are parked) and while you are at the opening cermonies the fire dept makes a house call to put it out.. major damage to the next door neighbor(s) as well.

Scene 2: You run it on propane down the freeway, it catches fire and the guy in that million dollar rig has his wife hold up a sign "YOU ARE ON FIRE" as he passes you. no damage to his rig, the Fire Dept shows up as well.
The 2 door refrigerators (from whichever company I forget) unfortunately have gotten a reputation for fires. The single door ones do not. There have been millions and millions of them made and they did not all burst into flames. You can't go through life afraid of everything. Sometimes you have to weigh the odds and decide how much risk you want to take. If you want to shut it off that's a personal decision but, I never do. Your odds are much greater of getting struck by lightning. And, how many people do you know that have been struck by lightning?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
We shut down propane at all fuel stops. Have you ever seen a fuel pump fire? It's BIG!!
If you aren't shutting off your propane at fuel stops PLEASE don't fuel up next to me.
I never shut my down at fuel stops either and no of know one else that does. Or, even thinks about it or is slightly aware that maybe they should. It must not be a major problem because there are no warning stickers on the fridge, the propane bottles, or even at an of our local fueling stations.

You can't go through life afraid of everything. Sometimes you have to weigh the odds and decide how much risk you want to take. If you want to shut it off that's a personal decision but, I never do. Your odds are much greater of getting struck by lightning. And, how many people do you know that have been struck by lightning?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #27

Just my observation/ question. How did the thread go from cooling time on RV fridges to massive explosions at fuel stops.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktimmons View Post
Just my observation/ question. How did the thread go from cooling time on RV fridges to massive explosions at fuel stops.
Because it was about refr's. Duh

Tags
cooling