Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Question Cougar Grey Tank Help

Just purchased a 2013 Cougar 21 RBSWE and need help figuring out the grey tanks. My understanding is their is a grey for the galley and one for the shower, so 2 grey tanks with what I would assume 2 valves.

Here is some background on my quandary. After getting the trailer home I sanitized the fresh water tank and ran water through the faucets for this task. Afterwards I wanted to drain the grey tanks with what I'm glad was plain water. As soon as I removed the waste discharge cover I receive a gush of water. 1st thought was a valve is open. I check the grey and black at the discharge and they are both closed. I then figure the grey for the galley is open, but I can't find it.

Attached are pictures of what I see. The slide was open while I did the walk through at the dealership and the dealer pointed to where the valve was, huge mistake on my part not forcing him to point it out.

Does anybody know if I'm missing something here? I haven't contacted the dealership yet, no service department on the weekends. Hoping one of the guru's here might have some ideas.

2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison - 2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBSWE
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Take a read-through of this thread in a Keystone owner's forum. Even though they aren't discussing your exact model, it may give you a clue. It sounds like the valve for the third tank may be forward of the axles?:

2 gray water tanks and 1 valve? - Keystone RV Forums

-harry

eta: now that I look at that thread a bit closer, it sounds as if they put a rod to extend the valve handle to that third tank. It may be that the handle to that rod extension may be missing or broken off? As on poster there says, if that extension has broken off or had become unthreaded and come off, look for a small hole in the coroplast just ahead of the axles where it should be. And now looking at your photos, that hole you point out may be it. If so, evidently, you'll have to screw another rod extension on to whatever is in that hole?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also, if Keystone is like most manufacturers, they don't provide an owner's manual, but you can download and/or view them at their website. This might help.

Good luck and enjoy that new trailer!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Good suggestion, arveer. But, and again like most manufacturers, their manual is pretty generic. I just took a look at it and it doesn't show nor describe where the valve for the third tank is located.

I've attached the latest Keystone owners' manual to this post below.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf keystone owners_manual_final_4-25-13.pdf (1.34 MB, 86 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Solved Cougar Grey Tank Valve

Okay I solved my problem and wanted to post where I found it in case anyone else has the same issue.

I just couldn't believe that there wouldn't be a valve so I started poking around and cut back the coroplast to get a view and there was a threaded shaft tucked up above the line from the galley. No handle just the shaft.

Looks like it should have an extension and handle that was never installed. I was able to screw a 1/4-20 turnbuckle onto the shaft which gave me enough grip to operate the valve.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and find out what the scoop is with the installation of handle for the valve.

2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison - 2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBSWE
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank