Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Couple of questions

Newby here with a couple of questions
1. Does everyone leave the hot water heater running or is it ok to turn it off and on as needed and if left on will that use up the propane quicker

2. I have a 29ft Nomad with one slide. The dealer who set it up for me told me not to use stands under the slide because it would damage the electronics on it since Im living in it for awhile. Is this true? Also trailer does sway some when walking toward the back. Is this normal.

Thanks
solo granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is certainly ok to turn the water heater on and off as needed if you like.

I'll leave the question of slide stands to others more familiar with trailer slides.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

As to the slight swaying when you walk inside the TT, do you have
stabilizer jacks down on the four corners? If not you need them, but
yes even with stabilizers down you may still get alittle sway.

You can add locking devices between each set of wheels and that
will help, but it is another thing to spend money on.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #4

Yes I have the four stabilizers down and I have seen the ones your talking about. Just didnt know how much they would help.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #5

Do I need some under the slide though. Was told NO by the dealer
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #6

Do not use slide supports !

Invest in some jack stabilizers if anything

Welcome
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Use the HW switch as you like. Some say you use less gas keeping it on rather than re-heating the whole tank once or twice a day. It teally depends on how many times a day you want really hot water. These are insulated pretty well and says hot a long time.

You do not want to put jacks umder your slide as a general rule. All RVs are designed and built not to require them. The main reason not to is if there was any kind of failure with the 4 corner jacks and the coach dropped, the slide jacks could damage the slide. This is more important with hydraulic jacks if there was a failure, they would destroy the slide. With manual jack stands that is less likely to happen, but you could still have a ground settling issue which could slowly put undo stress on the slide. I have a 12 x 3 ft slide and.I have never seen or felt anything that would make me think I needed slide jacks.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Those BAL xtender locks that go between the wheels work great. I bought 1 and like the results enough that i will be buying a second 1 for the other side to really lock down the "house"!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most RV manufacturers have a note in their manuals to NEVER use a support under the slide. If the rest of the RV settles, it will lift the slide and can cause damage.

On smaller trailers it is normal to get some wiggle when walking about.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1: Water heater: When you say "Does everyone...." well there are a few things that eveyone does (Cause if you don't do 'em you die) like Breathe and Eat and such. but when it comes to things that are optional, NO everybody does not do that. Leaving the water heater on is one of those, Not everybody does that, Not everybody turns it off when not in use,, There are advantages to both methods of operation.. Some are "Site dependent" for example just now on 50 amps mine is on electric, Last week on 30 it was off save when needed.

2: Supports under the slides.. I have seen a rig that was set up that way, and then the main body settled a bit.. What happened to the slides was not pretty. Not Pretty at all.

I would recommend against that.. EXCEPTION...

If you have a slide support that angles back and hooks to the frame of the main body (So if the main body settles the support "Settles" with it) that is ok,

Still, though, that is not needed UNLESS it comes as standard equipment (Common on PUPS only).
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo granny View Post
Newby here with a couple of questions
1. Does everyone leave the hot water heater running or is it ok to turn it off and on as needed and if left on will that use up the propane quicker
You can turn it on and off as needed. Most of the day ours is turned off as no one uses the hot water. It's turned on in the evening to do the dishes, showers, whatever. Then turned off again.

Quote:
2. I have a 29ft Nomad with one slide. The dealer who set it up for me told me not to use stands under the slide because it would damage the electronics on it since Im living in it for awhile. Is this true? Also trailer does sway some when walking toward the back. Is this normal.

Thanks

You can try putting a little more pressure on your stabilizers but they all have a little sway. As for the slide, no supports for reasons already mentioned above. Is your slide sagging? Is there some reason you feel it needs to be supported?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Agree - no slide supports !!!

BUT !
When we first got ours,
had a full wall slide that when out had a definite 'downhill' within the slide...
my guess is that it didn't push the bottom out fully and so with the top all the way out and the bottom not... stepping into the slide I seemed a little tipsy (maybe I was ?!?)

told the dealer about it and next time into dealer they either adjusted or I stopped drinking and noticing
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your bits of advice. I just wanted more than one opinion. I like the HW turned off when not in use because of safety concerns in my own mind. Dont like anything left on when Im not home. Im an OR nurse so safety is always in the back of my mind. Although the bedroom is at the front of the trailer where the propane tanks r.............LOL......... Trailer is set up pretty good and no trouble with slide just noticed some in park had stands under theirs but most do not.