Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Cover or no cover?

Getting the new (and first) trailer on Thursday. I asked the dealer and they say they don't recommend covering. I have read and understand the pros and cons of each. I think. Common sense tells me that covering will protect it better in the elements. I live in the snow belt of NW PA. Lots of snow, lots, and constant freeze thaw cycles. I was thinking of keeping it covered during the worst of winter and early spring.

Thoughts?

What do you all do?
8ptspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

live in the southeast, the gray mildew from pine trees almost makes a cover a necessity, With the humidity though I put 2x4's crosswise on the roof 2' apart to keep moisture from staying between the roof and cover. If I don't I get blisters in the roof fabric. Totally different climate.
samck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Wind can rip one to shreds. In a windy area I think it would be a waste of money. But I don't know about your storage area.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

I been using a blue tarp from local farm store. I only cover the roof and make sure it goes over my awning on one side. I'm in Western NY and we get a LOT of snow and January thaw then bitter cold again. Just kinda makes sense to keep the roof protected somewhat. Did it with my pop up for years now with my 29' TT I plan on doing it again.
signmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

RV cover will help protect from UV damage, keep your unit cleaner, but have to make sure you cover any sharp points with either sponge, tennis ball, or similar. If you take your time and cover the sharp points a cover will last 7 years or more. Wind is hard on them, but we used one with our previous TT and after 12 years, no issues. We sold it this past spring to get a 5th wheel and covering it too. We have the ADCO Designer Series Gray/White DuPont Tyvek all season including Wind protection. Got 10 years put of the previous cover before having to replace.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are up on that TT putting the cover on or off and fall off for any reason, you won't need a cover any more. I don't cover any more. I live in the southwest and the wind or even breeze will cause the cover to buff the sides of the TT. If it looks bad in 10 years I'll just get a new TT.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live on the plains of Colorado.. we get winds like you would not believe. I don't car how hard you try or how much you spend covers here do not last a winter.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote