RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Cover or not?

I live in north central Maryland and have a new 26 ft travel trailer and want to protect my investment. Looking for recommendations from others in the area....do you cover your trailer for the winter or not? If so, how do you measure the height of the trailer for the cover, from the bottom of the trailer or from the ground? If you use a cover how long do they last? Any recommendation on brand?

Klibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

If you really want to protect it, store it under a hard cover that will keep rain and sun off of it. Just my $.02

Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #3

I am not an expert. I don't use a cover. Other people swear by them. It may be different in different parts of the country.

In Wisconsin where I live, the cover should not reach the ground. There should be ventilation underneath to keep humidity down. It does not take a lot of vent space, but there should be some.

Some owners who have used a cover report the cover causes cosmetic damage to the paint job due to movement of the cover in the wind. Make sure the cover is tight and does not flap around.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

I believe this company sells a metal cover delivered and installed for about $1500. https://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/metal-carport-prices
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I live in Oregon, but I cover my trailer every winter. We dont get much snow here and our temps stay around 45-50 most of the time. I use a cover to keep the sun off the trailer and also to protect it from cosmetic damage/moss buildup.

I have used a classic accessories brand cover the last 8-9 years over 2 trailers and really like them. They are a stand up company and make a good cover at a reasonable price.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Iíve always covered my camper the sun and weather is very hard on your investment I know itís a lot of trouble but you will be happy in the long run good luck
D1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I can't cover mine. I use it year round. Once the cover is snowed on, it's stuck there till the spring melt.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #8

I would definitely invest in a metal cover
D1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #9

around here the average 26' rv will cost close to 30K. I sure wouldn't let mine set out in the rain and weather, your just asking for trouble. check your area for a metal car ports they come and set them up in just a few hours. or use the covers that are available.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:20 AM   #10

In my opinion, Yes you should!. You can just put your Rv model since there are covers made specifically for the model..so I guess that would be your safe choice on how to but it.

boytrue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover