Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

Well, I just had to buy 4 tires for my 21' TT. How can I (cheaply) cover the tires so that they don't dry-rot? Dual axle 15" tires. I am handy with just about everything and want to avoid the cost of covers by making something... I thought about marine grade plywood, cut in an oval to cover both tires on a side, painted black. Also thought about just a cheap tarp to kinda wrap both tires. What have you tried that works? What have you tried that has been a waste of time? Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

Well, I just had to buy 4 tires for my 21' TT. How can I (cheaply) cover the tires so that they don't dry-rot? Dual axle 15" tires. I am handy with just about everything and want to avoid the cost of covers by making something... I thought about marine grade plywood, cut in an oval to cover both tires on a side, painted black. Also thought about just a cheap tarp to kinda wrap both tires. What have you tried that works? What have you tried that has been a waste of time? Thank you!

Old 04-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
The plywood is a pain to install & store when not in use, and of course plywood is pricey these days. Run of the mill tarps will not hold up. So I think the vinyl wheel covers are best suited. They are on sale @ www.camperschoice.com $9.95 a set of 2. Not bad. Don't know what shipping is.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #4

Thanks for that fast response Hoverbug! But I can't find that price. Maybe I am not searching right. Does one cover shield both tires on a side?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #5

You might also consider tire sun block.

See http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...17465&src=SRQC
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Click the link then on the top banner click 'Specials" scrool down to the wheel covers. A set consist of two wheel covers so you will need two sets. Measure the diameter of your tires so you will know which to order. Ken's idea of a sun block is also an option. Personally I spray my tires with 303 Aerospace Protectant available at NAPA and others I'm sure. I also use the covers.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #7

I bought 2 pair cost me $25 and change w/shipping. Not bad considering they're normally $21.00 a pair.

02 Harley FLHRCI
Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:16 AM   #8

I do appreciate all the help! The reason I am being a cheapskate about this is because I am probably going to build/buy a permanent shelter for the camper soon. But I am excited about something I just tried! I have some vinyl soffit from a house project and found that 2 pieces of that(horizontally)will entirely cover both tires. Actually, it covers the square area of the wheel well and down to the ground. I will just use several rivets to hold the 2 pieces together. The fit is tight, with the soffit just barely distorted, and that holds it nicely in there. It actually looks good too. I will have to buy one more piece, but I believe it is under $10. By the way, I just park the camper at home except for several trips each year. Whatcha think about this crazy plan?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 AM   #9

a set of 4 vinyl covers are only 10.99 at harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38169
if there's a store near you, they will probably honer the Internet ad - mine does !!

'00 Montana Mountaineer 305FKS
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks VanMan, the harborfreight link is a nice addition to my favorites list.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #11

I realize that I am going to open a can of worms with this post and will probably get a lot of negative feedback. But, here goes anyway.

I bought a used motorhome several years ago and it had been setting for five years. It had a new set of tires put on it just before it was parked. I noticed that the tires were checked [small cracks] near the rims.

Now, here is what I found on those motorhome tires after fixing many things and removing the tires and wheels several times. The tires looked the same on the outside and the inside. Also the duels looked the same on each side of the outer tire and the inner tires looked the same. According to common theory, the outside of these tires in the direct sun should have looked much worse that the others.

Now, this is not what I had expected to see. I should point out that the motorhome was parked where one side got the full sun all day long and the other side did not get much if any sun.

My conclusion was that it is not the sun that causes the majority of the problem, but the lack of use. If tires are used on a regular basis it will keep them flexible and not likely to rot.

It would be interesting to know if anybody has ever tested this theory in a real life situation by covering one tire and leaving one uncovered to see the difference after a few years.

Daniel
Old 05-12-2005, 04:55 AM   #12

Daniel:

All I have ever read on the subject supports your theory! The flexing of the tires when under way is apparently what floats the preservatives to the tire surface. Even tires stored indoor will deteriorate over time, so I am told, so the use of covers to shield the sun is a moot point! As I recall ozone and other free flowing contaminants are the source of deterioration! Interesting!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
good analysis Dan
well what is the lesser of evils to that stored tire?
sitting idle for months WILL make flat areas. these flat spots, and then spider cracks around those flat areass, are possibbly what Dan is seeing;
but the UV is not a friend for the tire's compound either.

If i had to subject my tires to one of those, i would fill the tires to maximum pressure, but hide it from the sun.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The tire rotating allows the oils and chemicals in the rubber compound to work throughout the tire due to the friction created. A sitting tire will crack because of the lack of movement.
AND the sun's ultra-violet rays will agfgravate the issue. Look at an old car that sits in the sun all day. Look at the dash panel. Look at a vehicle that "lives" in the desert country. UV will damage your tires, siding on the RV, plastic harness, wood, etc. I know I live here at 5700 feet in the desert.
Fixes for tires? Dollar General stores. Get two 3x5 poly tarps for a buck apiece, a pack of long bungee cords and some rope. Total cost? About $5.00. Wrap tires at seasons end and remove in the Spring. It worked for me for fives years with my 5th wheel.
Chet