Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

crazy question

Is it possible to lift a travel trailer? Mine is kinda low to the ground and i can't back it up my driveway because it rubs. My old one would but it was higher of the ground. So would it be possible to left one?
chris1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

put a couple of 2x12s down and back up that should give you the lift you need
hauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I had a travel trailer that was too low. It scraped in my driveway and at low spots in the road. The axle brackets bolted to a 3-inch wide steel channel frame. I pulled the axle bolts, jacked up the frame and slid some 2X3" square steel tubing in between. After drilling some holes and bolting everything back together, I had a solid 2-inch lift. I was able to bolt my axle brackets both vertically and horizontally to the frame and inserts, so there was no chance for movement.

Good luck!
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on many things but basically the answer is yes.

First: I've had two small trailers, both of these had "Torsion" type springs, These are not "liftable" however in both cases I was able to put on larger tires, which lifted them at least the difference in the diamater of the tires,, Eliminated flats too.

Now if you have leaf springs then it may be possible to either flip a shackel or to if the springs run under the axle to "Turn it over" so the springs are above the axle,

THERE IS, however, a danger in this in that the trailer willl not may but will, become less stable epically when cornering, This may or may not be a problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The auto parts store, especially ones that deal with hot rods, have lifting block kits, longer Ubolts and lifting blocks.
These are designed by engineers that deal with heavy and rough treatment of the equipment.
These would be my choice rather than "Micky Mouse" set ups that may fall off during your trips.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
As Larry says, blocks and longer U-bolts can be used safely to make a modest lift. Just don't overdo it. The 8-inch and larger blocks are notorious for snapping off on impact with an obstacle like a curb. Re-arching your springs is a better choice for a taller lift.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

What about putting some casters on the back of the trailer and let her skate over the dips?
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Hey guys thanks for all the ideas. Im gonna try some lifting blocks. Do u all think the casters would work also? I may go both. I drive way is pretty steep and i have to back in at a angle. By the way my drive way sucks when u got toys to take up and down it LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #9

Do you have the ability to flip the axels?
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

Due to the arch intentionally put in trailer axles to set the proper amount of wheel camber, you cannot simply turn the axle over and re-use the spring perch. A new spring perch must be welded to the axle top side when moving it from over the springs to under the springs.
Since my axles were already under the springs, I put a 2" spacer block between spring and perch with longer "U" bolts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #11

i dunno yet i got it in storage an haven't went an looked at it yet im gonna check it out this weekend