Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Crossroads Nose Cone cracking Help

Just bought a new 2011 crossroads sunset travel trailer and noticed small cracking all around the brown nose cone.

When i bought it from the guy he had shined it up with armor all, and now looking back, it was to hide all the small cracks in the cone.

With that being said, what would be the best way to fix this? What is the cost to replace the whole cone itself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140817_161826.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	71082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140817_174420.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	71083  

Name:	IMG_20140817_174430.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	71084  

Grimwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I guess you don't have any kind of warranty on your 'new' 2011 camper? You can contact Crossroads and ask about buying a new front, perhaps have them install it.

Home - CrossRoads RV

You might also ask around a boat shop for who does good fiberglass work. If it's just cracks in the gelcoat, and not all the way through, you could just leave it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Yes I am out of warranty. I contacted crossroads directly and waiting for a reply. We don't have any boost shops around our area but after your suggestion I found a place that does fiber glass work. I am also thinking line-x if all else fails.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Just got done speaking with an RV tech and he said that with the sunset and similar models with the large nose cone tends to crack because of wind pressure while towing. He said to keep it waxed and there shouldn't be any trouble with leakage as the damage has not gone through the gel coat. He also said that the cracking is only "bad"when you are able to push on it ad the crack sprayed further, which means it had gone all the way through.

I plan on waxing it, and next spring get line-x on the bottom and sides where most the cracking is. Before I do that I am going to try and get a new cone from crossroads. I believe this be a manufacture issue and should be dealt with even though the warranty is up.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before you wax it, might take it to a boat shop that does repair on fiberglass boats. Before you take that thing off, might be able to be repaired and made better than new. Line-x or that thin diamond plate polished alu would be my 2nd choice.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Ok, thanks for all the help. After going to a few auto body shop and one boat shop, I finally heard back from crossroads.

Crossroads told me to go to the local dealer and have them take photos of the damage. The service rep also stated that there is no guarantee that any help would come from them.

I contacted the local dealer and forwarded all my photos of the damaged cap. A few hours later I heard back from the dealer. They said they were very surprised, but crossroads are going to send a new cap and pay to put it on. That is fantastic news considering I am the third owner of the trailer.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Wow, that's great news. Kudos to CR. I think I'd be heading to my local lottery ticket seller and buying one.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Glad to hear that!, My personal experience with crossroads was horrible and I would never by anything with their name it again. I will spare anyone from the story and its a shame as I will be buying another unit in the spring of 2015 and CR won't see a dime of that money.

At least you are getting relief from a purchase where something that would have changed your mind about buying it was hidden from you or overlooked and when you discovered it actually got someone to back up their name and treat you like a valued customer.

I will feel better after they actually help you as I was told they would and after I dropped it off to the dealer was told they wouldn't so, I hope they don't pull that garbage on you as well....

good luck and I hope they honor it....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #9

After a couple of weeks waiting for my new cap to come in, the dealership said that crossroads no longer have any new nose cones that will fit my TT.

With that being said the only other option open to me was to re paint and repair the damage that was there.

Although this was not the outcome that I wanted, it was more then what I had first thought i would get from crossroads.

After a few months waiting for the paint shop to be able to fit me in. I received my TT back and I can not be happier with the outcome.

The paint place suggested to put in a rock guard on the lower half of the cone as most of the damage was on the lower section. This will help durability and hopefully stop the cracks from coming back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	85421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	85422  

Name:	IMG_20140820_123327.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	85423  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Looks awesome! Hopefully it prevents future problems. Gelcoat is susceptible to surface cracks But paint should be more durable.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
My 2013 Radiance did the same thing but not as bd. Cruiser RV wanted to repair and repaint, but since I usd to build fiberglass bots I know it will come back. So I convinced them to pay for $450.00 @ I'd pay the rest, so I had a Coatings company (they spray color matched Bed Liner) on the whole cap. The use this stuff in the Oil Patch so it is almost bullet proof! Myth Busters ried to blow it up and couldn't! It totally matches the trailer color and has a Lifetime Warranty. Plus ou can beat the heck outa it.

rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote