Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Crossroads Sunset trail?

been shopping for a travel trailer 25ft - 30ft. so far really like the looks of the Crossroads Sunset trails. Anyone know quality-wise if they are a good choice?
DebbieRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Fez

We purchased a 2012 ST29SS Reserve in August 2011. Coming from a 17' Starcraft Travelstar (hybrid), it was quite a step up!! Of course, trying to fit 5 children in a 17' camping trailer was interesting to say the least, let alone entertaining them during inclement weather! This felt like a mansion in comparison, and storage? Wow, we actually had space to put stuff!

Anyway, to your question! I was in the market for the upgrade for a number of years before actually purchasing, and while no manufacturer is perfect, Crossroads was consistently spoken highly of. This is in terms of quality as well as customer service. When I was finally ready to buy it was a straight forward purchase for me. They had the floor plan I wanted, at a price I was OK with and everything I had read held true.

We've had some very minor issues and one what I will call major issue. The major issue revolved around the sensors on the black tank not registering anything above "E". So it wasn't structural, or really that major of an issue, but when you consider the contents, some might consider it major!! Of course the only way to find this out is when you're camping for more than a weekend at a site without sewer hookup and a long walk to the toilets that the little ones aren't going to make at night.

So once you use the toilet, you may as well use it for the rest of the trip, right?! Then using the fancy feature provided (black tank flush), you decide that while waiting for the honey wagon to show up you will add some water to the black tank as it's still showing on E. This will obviously help break down the contents as well as help flush it clean. You turn it on, go inside to keep an eye on the level with the idea of turning it off at 2/3, and then cast a wondering eye over to the bathroom where you see water coming out from under the door!! You run like a banshee back to the water spicket and shut it down post haste. But you have a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that your nice new camper is probably losing that new rig aroma!!

Of course, this is also the same time that the honey wagon decides to take some detours and not show as scheduled. A couple of trips to the front office and 45 minutes later your tank is being pumped out. In the meantime you're inside trying to make the best of a bad job. The water is being mopped up by every available bath towel and tea towel, but it had still reached the carpeted area in the slide out! Phone calls are being made to Crossroads and the dealer, and you're worried what you're going to tell the wife when she gets back from the pool!!!

Well, the folks at Crossroads and the dealer came through. The dealer is kind of on the way home, and this was the last day of our trip, so we agree to drop it off and then pick it up a few weeks later for the next scheduled trip. While there we may as well have them look at the other nitty gritty "issues". A few phone calls and two weeks later I stop by to pick it up, they've replaced the "bad" harness on the black tank, they've thoroughly cleaned the rig, we requested steam cleaned carpets, and taken care of the list of minor requests. No charge, no inquisition, no paperwork in triplicate etc.

This week we just uncovered it and went inside for the first time since the end of October, long winter! It still has the "new" aroma and everything is looking good. Would I rather have had the "bad" harness caught in QA before it left the mfr or even the dealer? Sure I would. But in the world of camping, stuff happens. In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't that big of a deal (read around the forums, there are some 'real' horror stories!), but what stood out for me is that it was taken care of in a timely manner, to my satisfaction, and with minimal fuss.

I try not to look too much at the new floor plans because I like what I see. I've heard that they've made some changes within the company, that their warranty has changed etc. but I'm still happy with what I've bought, as are the rest of the family!

Are there better brands/nicer units out there? Probably, but for the price and weight I'm very happy with my ST29SS!

Let me know if you have any questions, oh and check your sensors during your walk through if possible, if not then on your first trip!!
Fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

I have a 2012 25rb that we use for our annual beach trip. Never had any problems with it. Been thinking about selling it - would make someone a sweetheart deal on it. I've too many RV's right now!

PM me if interested.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

2012 sunset trail reserve 27 rear bunk. Got it new last spring and took it out 10 times. Only issue we had was the AC went out over the 4th of July trip. They fixed it and all is well. Getting ready to get it out of storage and start up the new camping year.
Kd8bao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

Fez,
Unfortunately, after any number of fills on just about any black tank, the level indicators will probably start to malfunction. Then, the best way to check for how full it is, is to open the toilet valve and look down with a flashlight. And, of course, never turn on the flush feature without monitoring the level by also looking in the tank itself. If you depend on the monitors, you will eventually have the same disaster again.
Most of the tank monitors function by the fluid completing a circuit between the sensors as it rises; most of the commonplace sensors will cake over with 'stuff' and begin to give faulty readings. If you want to have sensors that work, check out See-Level brand.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

Never leave the black tank closed while using the black flush!!!!!!
I open and drain tank until it is empty then turn on flush and watch until it runs clean, then with flush still going i close the black valve and count to 60 then open and let run clear then you will be good.
Sorry didn't mean to high jack
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

We have a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 31 SS. We absolutely love it. Very sharp with tons of space and storage. Tows nicely with our Ram 1500 too. My wife loves the Kitchen Island and I love the outdoor kitchen.
Maxable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

I bought a sunset trail in August of 2012. I went on 2 short trips that year and by the end of 2013 one of my axles failed. $850 later crossroads denied my claim because I didn't have axles greased in 12 months. It was 14 months old with 4700 miles on it. I keep all records. The mechanic told me in writing that it was a bad axle. My others only took minimal amount of grease. I've owned 5 other rvs in my life from pop ups to travel trailers to a class C. I've always done maintenance in a timely manner. I was planning on doing it after my last trip of the year as I always did. Except after taking a brand new trailer on 2 trips after purchase.
I also had problems with my electric stabilizers, slide out, and furnace. These were all covered though. Bottom line... I'm done with crossroads. Any other questions email me. Raskay542@gmail.com
I go camping a lot and get insight from others I meet.
Paparkcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

Sunset Trail was at the top of our list before we found the Winnebago Towables. We started to shy away from them because of a few things:
1) Several new units on dealer lots already had broken hinges or strut mounts torn out. Also, several had interior trim peeling off in the August heat. I know some of this is due to careless shoppers, but these are new units! What will they look like after a few years of use with kids??
2) Started reading horror storys of issues with slides. Getting stuck in the out poition, getting cocked to the side and going in crooked!
Maybe this has been fixed on new units but 2013s had issues still, and maybe some of it was covered under warranty, but that does you no good when you are 200 miles form Nowhere and your slide is stuck out! Just do a Google search.

No matter what you buy, lube the wheel bearings and check out all systems. We driveway camped for several days before going to the local campground.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparkcampr View Post
I bought a sunset trail in August of 2012. I went on 2 short trips that year and by the end of 2013 one of my axles failed. $850 later crossroads denied my claim because I didn't have axles greased in 12 months. It was 14 months old with 4700 miles on it. I keep all records. The mechanic told me in writing that it was a bad axle. My others only took minimal amount of grease. I've owned 5 other rvs in my life from pop ups to travel trailers to a class C. I've always done maintenance in a timely manner. I was planning on doing it after my last trip of the year as I always did. Except after taking a brand new trailer on 2 trips after purchase.
I also had problems with my electric stabilizers, slide out, and furnace. These were all covered though. Bottom line... I'm done with crossroads. Any other questions email me. Raskay542@gmail.com
I go camping a lot and get insight from others I meet.
I can identify with you. We bought a Crossroads Sunset Trail in 2010 and used it three times. While cleaning out the trailer to sell it, we discovered delamination that caused a leak and a corner of the floor in the front bedroom was soft. Now we won't be able to sell it for what we owe on it, even with repairs. Also, the bumper-to-bumper extended warranty we purchased went bankrupt.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #11

Someone who was a "seasoned" camper told us once that any RV ( motorhome, TT, etc.) is a "Rolling Hurricane." I have remembered that in the short time we have been campers. Things will always go wrong no matter how much you take precautions. We have a 2014 Sunset Trail and had a laundry list of things that we took to the BEST camper dealer we could have gone to (in our estimation). We did not buy from this location, but they have taken care of our problems, and more. They found that the manufacturer used the wrong sealant on our roof and have gone back to Crossroads and they are going to re-seal our roof (a $1200 cost we won't have to pay). We had a delamination problem that they are taking care of also. Delamination was more likely our fault because we kept it in the sun, but Crossroads will take care of it. I have no problems with Crossroads, nor with the dealer in Denver who is doing the work. If you take your TT to a dealer within your warranty timeframe, you have a reason to beef. Otherwise, the cost is on your own back.
cwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #12

cwacker,
Great that you are getting the problems resolved by Crossroads. However, "our fault because we kept in the sun" caused the delamination is just not right--these trailers should be able to sit outside in full sunlight for a year and not have that problem. Fading, yes--delamination, no.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

Joe, I am rather new at this TT stuff, but we have lived here in the mountains now for about 9 years. Our altitude here where we store our TT is 9000 ft and the UV from the sun is powerful. Our 2014 Sunset Trail has a dark face on it and that is where the delamination occurred. The UV (I would guess) started working on it and bubbled the front. We caught it before it took over the entire face, thank goodness, but looking into the west sun every day would be powerful harsh. I have read several forums here that have suggested I keep my rig under cover. A tough job, but we may have to find a way once we bring it back home to store. I appreciate your advice, though. I read here all the time and learn something new each time I come.
Cathy
cwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #14

DO NOT PURCHASE A SUNSET TRAIL - 5 of us purchased a Sunset Trail at a camp show in our area - all 5 of us have had severe leaks - very severe! One had a 5th wheel with the front slide out; a 2nd had a 5th wheel with side slides; the remaining 3 had 3 different sized travel trailers - ours is a 26' with slide. I love the layout and the kitchen island - but after 1 season, while on vacation, we walked in to a waterfall coming down in our bedroom. Dealer recommended we ONLY use Alpha caulk. We repaired it while vacationing and just took it to a qualified Crossroads repairman - he showed us that the entire roof is not really even attached - according to him, it has been leaking since it left the factory - the dealer ADMITTED Crossroads had a defect in the roofing of the trailers - no recall because it would cost a fortune for them!!!! DO NOT DO IT - they look great - lots of eye candy - but they are TRASH. 5 of us - 5 that are completely ruined due to leaking - BIG leaking!! Hope someone else learns by our misfortune!
Boomer33 is offline   Reply With Quote