Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Question Crossroads Z1 Construction

Hi,

We are in the process of buying a Crossroads Zinger Z1, Model 328SB. Unlike other RV companies, there is very limited information about how this TT is constructed. We know it is stick and tin, steel frame, rubber membrane roof, the usual dicor type seals, and we know that the appliances are the usual types of appliances used in most RVs.

What I'm really looking for is more information on construction details - for example, questions we have are:
How is the roof constructed, and what is it's weight capacity - is it plywood or some other product - and if plywood, what thickness, and is it screwed or stapled down? What are the trusses made out of?
What type of insulation is used, and what is the R value?
Is the steel frame of the unit painted or powder coated?
Are the walls wood framed (we assume so, in an entry level unit), or aluminum framed?
What type of slide mechanisms are used in the trailer?

Unlike other companies, which talk about their construction details as a selling feature, we've been able to find virtually nothing on Crossroads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #2

I guess they're not proud of what they build. I usually just by pass the ones that won't advertise their construction methods. Do they have something to hide?
A call to Crossroads will answer all your questions.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:18 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like you're already committed to buying it. I'd want to know that info BEFORE committing to buying! Can you still back out if you don't find out or don't like what you find?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Good point - that's why I'm posting now - before we are finally committed.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

OK - so I called Crossroads - they were very helpful. For anyone who is interested, the answer is this:
- the roof construction for the Z-1 and Zinger is the same - they are both produced on the same construction line.
- Z-1 has 3/8" OSB roof sheeting (not Luan, as has been posted elsewhere)
- The roof is stapled down, not screwed or nailed
- The roof trusses are wood, not aluminum construction

Waiting for answers on the other questions.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #6

I'd pass on that trailer. Most top brands use plywood and not OSB.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Keen, pass on this one.

Jim
Old 01-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

And the other two questions - the frame is not powder coated - so I assume it is painted. The slideouts are operated with Lippert thru frame slideouts.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #9

I believe the Crossroads website does show construction details
Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #10

Crossroads is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They were very unhelpful and were so quick to hide when I had issues. I spent a lot on my trailer and because I paid cash the dealer lost money on the interest rate loan they tried pushing on me so they could jack up the price and they did everything they could to show how they never wanted my business again. Safe to say I will never buy from them again even if they have the last part. As for Crossroads, they treated me like garbage and I am thinking about another coach and it will certainly NOT be from them. I asked a few questions before I bought and here is the answer I was given by the dealer.

can I add a ladder later on? Absolutely!

will you throw in the WDH? and install it? Of Course!

Crossroads stated, NO, you cant add a ladder....

I had to buy and install the WDH myself.

If I can give any advise it is yo be an Ahole when buying! make them earn every penny from you because its your money until you hand it over. They will promise everything so GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!

please learn from my mistakes....and hopefully CR goes out of business soon, they just plain suck!

and the dealer which I wont mention but Im sure we can all speculate are bumbling fools....
Old 01-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Crossroads is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They were very unhelpful and were so quick to hide when I had issues. I spent a lot on my trailer and because I paid cash the dealer lost money on the interest rate loan they tried pushing on me so they could jack up the price and they did everything they could to show how they never wanted my business again. Safe to say I will never buy from them again even if they have the last part. As for Crossroads, they treated me like garbage and I am thinking about another coach and it will certainly NOT be from them. I asked a few questions before I bought and here is the answer I was given by the dealer.

can I add a ladder later on? Absolutely!

will you throw in the WDH? and install it? Of Course!

Crossroads stated, NO, you cant add a ladder....

I had to buy and install the WDH myself.

If I can give any advise it is yo be an Ahole when buying! make them earn every penny from you because its your money until you hand it over. They will promise everything so GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!

please learn from my mistakes....and hopefully CR goes out of business soon, they just plain suck!

and the dealer which I wont mention but Im sure we can all speculate are bumbling fools....
Wow... I hate to hear (read) this. My experience with Crossroads and the dealer I bought it from has been quite the opposite. I am totally satisfied with the performance and construction. However, I suppose there is a 'lemon' that comes off the line once in awhile and that is a shame. Feel sorry for you my friend, and I hope that all works out for you in the end. Best wishes.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

All of these comments are helpful.

We've noticed, by trolling a number of sites, that there are significant negative comments about all brands of TT we've been able to find, and we've read the discussion threads about this.

Has anyone out there had positive experiences with Crossroads?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
All of these comments are helpful.

We've noticed, by trolling a number of sites, that there are significant negative comments about all brands of TT we've been able to find, and we've read the discussion threads about this.

Has anyone out there had positive experiences with Crossroads?
My current Zinger 27RL is my second Crossroads TT. Everything has been great, with only one minor issue which was taken care of quickly under warranty.

I really shopped around before deciding on this one, and I've not regretted my decision.