Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

CSA approved camper trailer

any one know of information to NON CSA approved trailer to Canada. Is there a law and who should pay for this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Hello and welcome to iRV2.
Are you trying to import a non CSA approved unit into Canada, or are you looking for info on what units are approved.
The Registar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) web site has a full list of units that pass CSA standards. Sorry I don't have the web page handy.
If you have a unit that is not CSA approved, the cost may be prohivitive to up grade the unit depending on what systems are not up to Canadian code. The web site does not give any break down ; reasons; for non-approval, you may have to contact RIV for more info.
If you bought in the states and were told that it could be imported into Canada , BUT, don't have it in writing, you may be on your own.
Good luck. Post again if you need more info.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Contrary to popular belief, there is no law that anything must be CSA approved. They are based out of the capital so many assume they are a government organization which is not true. As long as the trailer meets DOT requirements it can be registered.
The catch comes with insurance. Most underwriters accept CSA as the standard for liability. In the event of an incident or accident, they could refuse to cover the loss if the sticker is not present and you would be on your own. I work for a national distribution firm, we can but will not bring non CSA approved products into the country. Our underwriters would not give us the time of day.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

Well , thank yo's for some light on this.. I had purchased the trailer at the end of July 2011 and was to take it in for warranty work on the power awning. I was to get free storage with this purchase from the dealer for 20 years, who could pass it up.. Right, in the middle of October when taking it down to Canada 1 RV, they had went into receivership.. This is where it starts, turning to Keystone they put me in the direction of a place to have atleast the warranty work done. When they had asked me for the sticker number near the door is when i found that the trailer was not CSA approved. So they refused to do any work on this unit. Suggesting i let they approve it and cost anywhere from 500 - 1500 dollars. So when phoned back to Keystone they advised me that the trailer was not ASKED to be CSA approved when built.
This is where it gets real interesting, you are right about the law that isn't really there. But again the insurance company and camp grounds will need this for safety of there parks and others around [seasonal sites require] It is more of a dealer policy looking out for the consumer. Because i live in Winnipeg , Manitoba- Canada, I have heard that it is more higher on the leven for safety standards, with no disrespect to and other province or country. I am trying to find a legal way into this, and i think Keystone should be putting up the bill for the Manitoba cert. sticker or CSA aproval. It was there dealer in trust that was selling these units.

I really appriciate all the help and I hope that this may help others if in this situation.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Confederate States of America? I thought they went out in 1865.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #6

Sorry about that.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

I was running into the same but my Keystone has an QAI sticker which they tell me is CSA because it listes CSA 240 or whatever on it. We will see when I take it for service. I don't believe the 1000 dollar thing, try the fire commisioner, I found this link http://www.firecomm.gov.mb.ca/docs/rv_brochure.pdf

This is the way I was going to go if I had to get CSA, I also bought in July from Canada 1. Looks like 95 bucks it you are under 33 feet.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
wow, you just never stop learning things. no wonder they went belly up..20 yrs free storage. too good to b true. i cant believe the tricks the dealers will go to so they can sell you an rv cheaper than the next guy. too bad they were not still in business.. you could give them a piece of your mind. now i have to go check mine for a sticker. fingers crossed....
Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
a little panic when looking for sticker, found it on side by door. i feel better now
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03griz View Post
I was running into the same but my Keystone has an QAI sticker which they tell me is CSA because it listes CSA 240 or whatever on it. We will see when I take it for service. I don't believe the 1000 dollar thing, try the fire commisioner, I found this link http://www.firecomm.gov.mb.ca/docs/rv_brochure.pdf

This is the way I was going to go if I had to get CSA, I also bought in July from Canada 1. Looks like 95 bucks it you are under 33 feet.

So did the QAI sticker mean that it was CSA approved? Thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #11

well, it's in for warranty and they have not called and told me it wasn't good enough so yes I would say the sticker is equivilent to CSA as the sticker itself has a CSA number on it.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFDVR1 View Post
any one know of information to NON CSA approved trailer to Canada. Is there a law and who should pay for this?
dont mean to jack the thread, but i see your from winnipeg, did you hit -40 today?, man your getting a cold snap!! Im in Sioux lookout on, 5 hrs from you, today it was -41c and the wind yesterday was -44c, suppose to warm up sunday. so why arent we south?

gbstewart
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03griz View Post
well, it's in for warranty and they have not called and told me it wasn't good enough so yes I would say the sticker is equivilent to CSA as the sticker itself has a CSA number on it.
Well, hopefully our new trailer has the sticker. We purchased it at the end of November from the states and hauled it out to the lake. I won't get a chance to check for a few months. BTW was only minus 33 her in Thunder Bay the other night. Thanks

It is listed on this list.
http://www.qai.org/Listing_Pages/QAI...RV_Company.htm
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Dang, I'm glad to be living in the south.

Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote